GDT: Caps @ Devils- Round 8: The final round (thankfully) 3:00 PM MSG+ NHLN

MadDog2020

The funny thing about the assist Jack actually picked up today was that it was off of such a mundane play. Sent the puck out of the zone, it goes forward and someone finally takes a shot that goes in. 

Of all the plays he made , that's what gets him a point. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

To some this will be another chart that doesn't mean anything without the points to back it up , but holy fvck , he can't do much more. 

This is incredible. Everyone other than Hughes fell into this narrow window of 4-6 shot contributions. The fact that he finished with roughly 3 times more than everyone else is ridiculous. Take him off the chart and it looks like pretty even contributions throughout the group of forwards, and that alone isn’t too far off from an average to decent game from this group. Not even sure how that’s possible. If he works on his shot this offseason, he will be unstoppable. 

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not sure if that’s something to be happy or sad about. Our franchise has been around almost 40 years and the third leading scorer in our franchise only has 202 goals. 

Eh, 3 Cups and 3 HoFers though. I’m sure lots of teams would trade higher goal totals for that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Eh, 3 Cups and 3 HoFers though. I’m sure lots of teams would trade higher goal totals for that. 

It just reminds you that after that era with the 3 HOFers and the 3 Cups, we’ve basically done d!ck for 20 years. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It just reminds you that after that era with the 3 HOFers and the 3 Cups, we’ve basically done d!ck for 20 years. 

Most franchises have done dick their entire existences. We saw more Cups in 8 years than most fans see in their lives.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Most franchises have done dick their entire existences. We saw more Cups in 8 years than most fans see in their lives.

I suppose that’s true. 

That doesn’t really change my mind about Travis and his 202, but it’s a valid point. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I suppose that’s true. 

That doesn’t really change my mind about Travis and his 202, but it’s a valid point. 

For example: the Flyers have been around since 1967. They won back-to-back Cups in 1974 and 1975. That’s it. Nothing since. The Canucks have been around the same amount of time and have no Cups. Calgary has one in their entire existence. LA has two in 50+ years. I could go on. We won three. In eight years. Don’t take for granted how special- and unusual- that is.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

For example: the Flyers have been around since 1967. They won back-to-back Cups in 1974 and 1975. That’s it. Nothing since. The Canucks have been around the same amount of time and have no Cups. Calgary has one in their entire existence. LA has two in 50+ years. I could go on. We won three. In eight years. Don’t take for granted how special- and unusual- that is.

To continue that example, 202 goals would make Travis 15th all time as a Flyer, despite the Cups having come in 74 and 75.

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Anyway, other than the A-Line for a few years the Devils obviously mostly won with defense and goaltending. Stands to reason they don’t have a bunch of big goal scorers throughout their history. 

Obviously, if Kirk Muller and Pat Verbeek played in NJ longer, they'd be high on the list. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

To continue that example, 202 goals would make Travis 15th all time as a Flyer, despite the Cups having come in 74 and 75.

It'd be nice to have Tim Kerr on our power play.

8 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Obviously, if Kirk Muller and Pat Verbeek played in NJ longer, they'd be high on the list. 

We've had some other solid scorers spent parts of their careers here too...Richer, Mogilny, Arnott, Sykora, Andreychuk, Thomas, C. Lemieux, among others.  Lou was never shy about moving most players (or letting some walk), so guys didn't tend to stay here as long as they might have for other organizations...also fair to say that the Devils history isn't as long as some other franchises, and some of those franchises existed before player movement became less restrictive and much more common.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

We've had some other solid scorers spent parts of their careers here too...Richer, Mogilny, Arnott, Sykora, Andreychuk, Thomas, C. Lemieux, among others.  Lou was never shy about moving most players (or letting some walk), so guys didn't tend to stay here as long as they might have for other organizations...also fair to say that the Devils history isn't as long as some other franchises, and some of those franchises existed before player movement became less restrictive and much more common.  

The fact that nobody stays in New Jersey for a significant amount of time is definitely part of it. 

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

The fact that nobody stays in New Jersey for a significant amount of time is definitely part of it. 

He would also trade guys who could score for different guys who could score (based on who he thought would fit his team better going forward):  Guerin for Arnott, Arnott for Langs, Sykora for Friesen, Verbeek for Turgeon (ouch), Turgeon for C. Lemieux (nice recovery), C. Lemieux for Thomas, etc.  Guys who could score often came and went.  But obviously considerable stability on D and in goal.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He would also trade guys who could score for different guys who could score (based on who he thought would fit his team better going forward):  Guerin for Arnott, Arnott for Langs, Sykora for Friesen, Verbeek for Turgeon (ouch), Turgeon for C. Lemieux (nice recovery), C. Lemieux for Thomas, etc.  Guys who could score often came and went.  But obviously considerable stability on D and in goal.  

That’s true. It doesn’t really matter I guess. I suppose Travis deserves some sort of recognition just for staying here lol.