The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

45 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Check out 2019-20…his offensive numbers were pretty bad.  He shot over 17% last season, which makes his 2020-21 look better than it was.  Don’t really need to see him continue to decline here.

His 2019-20 numbers would’ve been third on our team that year, and last years numbers were improved over that. 0.76 points per game last season, and that’s just below his career average of 0.80. 

I don’t know if I take shooting 17% as a negative. I get what you are saying, but I wouldn’t mind a guy with a 17% shooting percentage on Jack or Nico’s wing. 

The guy has done nothing but produce his entire career and he gets clowned because he’s chubby. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

Opposite end of the scale from Tarasenko on the fitness front. Hardly ever misses a game and can certainly score. Would he be part of the team for more than a season or two? Probably not, so not worth giving up assets for.

It's because of all the donuts he eats

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

His 2019-20 numbers would’ve been third on our team that year, and last years numbers were improved over that. 0.76 points per game last season, and that’s just below his career average of 0.80. 

I don’t know if I take shooting 17% as a negative. I get what you are saying, but I wouldn’t mind a guy with a 17% shooting percentage on Jack or Nico’s wing. 

The guy has done nothing but produce his entire career and he gets clowned because he’s chubby. 

He’s about an 11% shooter for his career.  Last year was an aberration.

He’s had a fine career for sure, and I wasn’t trying to imply that he hasn’t been productive in the past, and I didn’t say a word about his appearance.  I’m just not so sure that the balance of the past two seasons suggests that he’ll be all that productive in the future.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He’s about an 11% shooter for his career.  Last year was an aberration.

He’s had a fine career for sure, and I wasn’t trying to imply that he hasn’t been productive in the past, and I didn’t say a word about his appearance.  I’m just not so sure that the balance of the past two seasons suggests that he’ll be all that productive in the future.  

No, you didn’t say anything about his appearance, didn’t mean to imply that. 

I’m not sure this past season should be included in your criticism though. The high shooting percentage could be an aberration. So too could the one bad season he’s had in his entire career. 

81 points over 126 GP the past two seasons.  Just not so sure he’ll be close to what he was.  Seems like a guy on the decline to me.  Guess with the offseason Fitz has had, I rather not end it with an “If” kind of acquisition.  

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

81 points over 126 GP the past two seasons.  Just not so sure he’ll be close to what he was.  Seems like a guy on the decline to me.  Guess with the offseason Fitz has had, I rather not end it with an “If” kind of acquisition.  

My counter position would be that it’s a “worth a shot” acquisition. Worse comes to worse, he’s gone at the trade deadline. 

The question becomes, then, what would be the cost to acquire him? As hesitant as I was to give anything of value for Tarasenko because of the risk involved, Phil would have to be available cheap to make the deal worth doing. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

My counter position would be that it’s a “worth a shot” acquisition. Worse comes to worse, he’s gone at the trade deadline. 

The question becomes, then, what would be the cost to acquire him? As hesitant as I was to give anything of value for Tarasenko because of the risk involved, Phil would have to be available cheap to make the deal worth doing. 

If Holtz, Mercer, Foote, etc develop as we hope though, how long would Kessell be needed for? Not for more than a couple of seasons at most, so he'd have to be very cheap to make it worthwhile, imo.

13 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

If Holtz, Mercer, Foote, etc develop as we hope though, how long would Kessell be needed for? Not for more than a couple of seasons at most, so he'd have to be very cheap to make it worthwhile, imo.

I would think you'd go the other way and make it more expensive but on a much shorter term deal. That way when those guys are actually ready you can dump Kessel at the deadline or, if you can't, just don't re-sign him. Either way he's off the books. Same with Terasenko. 

22 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I would think you'd go the other way and make it more expensive but on a much shorter term deal. That way when those guys are actually ready you can dump Kessel at the deadline or, if you can't, just don't re-sign him. Either way he's off the books. Same with Terasenko. 

Kessel isn’t a free agent, he’s still got a year left on his contract. The cost would be what you trade, and he would only be here a year, barring any extension. He’s be a veteran with a proven track record filling a hole until the other guys (hopefully) are ready. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If Tarasenko will stay healthy and productive, someone will pay pretty good enough for him(with salary retain ofcourse). For now Tarasenko price goin lower. Risky, but an opportunity to make surcharge on resale. And we will have two opportunities\seasons  to sell him. Kessel can leave for the same price, in the best case. And his price is higher for us.
Dont forget, I`m russian, but jew.

Edited by Guadana

3 minutes ago, Guadana said:

If Tarasenko will stay healthy and productive, someone will pay pretty good enough for him(with salary retain ofcourse). For now Tarasenko price goin lower. Risky, but an opportunity to make surcharge on resale. And we will have two opportunities\seasons  to sell him. Kessel can leave for the same price, maximum. And his price is higher for us.
Dont forget, I`m russian, but jew.

As we say in the States, that’s a big “if”. 

Not sure how reputable they are but Sporting News put out a power rankings recently and gave us above the Rags. I might be reading their stuff more often now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nhl/news/nhl-offseason-power-rankings-2021-devils-oilers-sabres/fmalvp8t2v601rzrncxyqdzjn

19. New Jersey Devils

Is the Devils' rebuild over? It certainly is starting to look that way after GM Tom Fitzgerald snagged the biggest free agent on the market in defenseman Dougie Hamilton. Did he maybe pay a bit too much? Probably, but when you're ready to make some noise — and have the cap space — you do whatcha gotta do.

4 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Not sure how reputable they are but Sporting News put out a power rankings recently and gave us above the Rags. I might be reading their stuff more often now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nhl/news/nhl-offseason-power-rankings-2021-devils-oilers-sabres/fmalvp8t2v601rzrncxyqdzjn

19. New Jersey Devils

Is the Devils' rebuild over? It certainly is starting to look that way after GM Tom Fitzgerald snagged the biggest free agent on the market in defenseman Dougie Hamilton. Did he maybe pay a bit too much? Probably, but when you're ready to make some noise — and have the cap space — you do whatcha gotta do.

They have Seattle ahead of NJ despite drafting a lot of AHL level talent and having not even played a game. So... Whatever to that. 

• Like 1

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

They have Seattle ahead of NJ despite drafting a lot of AHL level talent and having not even played a game. So... Whatever to that. 

Didn’t even notice that haha. They probably assume they’re going to have Vegas type of success right off the bat. I don’t think they’re building like Vegas did though.

Was just about to post the Kuokkanen signing, but RWTD beat me to it.

Plenty of money to add something else obviously...still suspect Fitz is done for now.  Maybe he takes a shot at Tarasenko or Kessel if the asset price is low enough, but for some reason I don't think he's really keen on acquiring either one.  I'm fine with that.

And on a side note...exactly TWO players currently with the big club are signed beyond 2022-23:  Nico and Hamilton.  That will most definitely change (does any really think that Hughes and Smith aren't getting solid RFA deals when the time comes?), but clearly this is a team that can go in a lot of different directions...they still have tons of flexibility, and as everyone knows, they have PK's money coming off after this season.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Good signing, happy with it for sure. 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Was just about to post the Kuokkanen signing, but RWTD beat me to it.

Plenty of money to add something else obviously...still suspect Fitz is done for now.  Maybe he takes a shot at Tarasenko or Kessel if the asset price is low enough, but for some reason I don't think he's really keen on acquiring either one.  I'm fine with that.

I agree on this as well, unless the asking price is so low that we cannot say no, I am not sure those guys are for us.

I definitely wanted Sharkanens to get three years each, but two years of cheap contracts is a fair deal. They will show themselves in the next year and it will be approximately clear how to act when concluding contracts with Bratt and Zacha, who have a contract year. 

35 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I definitely wanted Sharkanens to get three years each, but two years of cheap contracts is a fair deal. They will show themselves in the next year and it will be approximately clear how to act when concluding contracts with Bratt and Zacha, who have a contract year. 

This upcoming season is a "show me" year for a lot of the kids for sure.  None of them are locked in long-term.  And I think Shero (and now Fitz) wanted it EXACTLY this way...some guys are going to prove that they're meant to be a part of this thing going forward, and some are either going to play just well enough to be packaged with something else for a need, or simply write themselves out of the script.

Wood, Bratt, Zacha...you're all up first!  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree on this as well, unless the asking price is so low that we cannot say no, I am not sure those guys are for us.

Devils have three 4th-round picks in the next draft.  I can't say I'm bullish on adding Tarasenko or Kessel, but I guess I'd consider a meh prospect (one not likely to move up the current depth chart) and one of those 4ths for either player.  I really think both teams are just better off keeping those players through next season though...a hot Kessel or a healthy Tarasenko could fetch more at the deadline that what they're worth now. 

I still think it's reached the point where Tarasenko and the Blues are stuck with each other...unless the Blues can truly live with getting very little back, just to get him and his money (at least some of it) out of there.  The Devils can obviously easily gobble up Tarasenko's hit, but I get the feeling Fitz would REALLY offer next to nothing if he took it all on...I could truly see him offer a 4th and not much more than a bag of pucks.  He knows they only have about $1.5 mil in cap space, and still have one more RFA to sign.  And I could see the Blues (who don't have a second-rounder in the 2022 draft) asking Fitz pleeeeeeease would he give them a second-rounder...at which point the Blues hear a click and say "Fitz?  Fitz?  You there?  FITZ?!"

• Like 1

Guess the Rangers might as well make history somehow:

Rangers agree to historic contract with Igor Shesterkin (nypost.com)

Highest AAV second contract ever for a goalie.  Shesterkin clearly has talent, but also has just 48 NHL games under his belt.  Not sure that they had to go as high as they did.  

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Highest AAV second contract ever for a goalie.  Shesterkin clearly has talent, but also has just 48 NHL games under his belt.  Not sure that they had to go as high as they did.  

Just posted the same over in the "Around the League" thread. It's high, for sure, but its a nice commitment to make to a guy.

Hopefully he completely fails to live up to it and they wind up trading him to Buffalo or something. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He might’ve been threatening to go back to the KHL.