GDT: Vancouver @ Devils 7:30 PM MSG+ Battle of the Hughes Bros

MadDog2020

Honestly - does Kakko even go top 5 in a re-draft of that class? You’d have to think Zegras or Seider go #2OA knowing what we know now. And there’s at least a handful of other guys I’d take over Kakko (Byram, Dach, Cozens - just to name a few). 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, MB3 said:

there’s a video from the New York Rangers in MSG draft party where the Devils draft Hughes and the place erupts like they scored an overtime playoff goal. People leaping out of their chair celebrating and hugging eachother because the Devils took Hughes meaning Kakko was theirs.

That video is good for the soul.

this one? the "kaapo kacko" and "lets go ranjuhs" chant following our pick 😂 ... oof lol 

Edited by Aznjsn
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Honestly - does Kakko even go top 5 in a re-draft of that class? You’d have to think Zegras or Seider go #2OA knowing what we know now. And there’s at least a handful of other guys I’d take over Kakko (Byram, Dach, Cozens - just to name a few). 

I sure hope not but if they keep going the way they are, in a few years some might even debate that zegras or seider might challenge for the #1OA even. They are both phenomenal

Edited by SterioDesign

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I sure hope not but if they keep going the way they are, in a few years some might even debate that zegras or seider might challenge for the #1OA even. They are both phenomenal

So is our guy. 

16 hours ago, Nicomo said:

He's still REALLY friggin' young (just turned 21), but yeah, even though he's only got 151 games under his belt (exact same amount as Jack), if I'm a Rangers fan I'm starting to worry. 

Jack had a tough rookie year of course, but part of the reason I wasn't yet worried about him was because to worry that early on would almost be assuming that he isn't capable of figuring things out or won't take the steps necessary to become better and stronger...SD's chart of 1OA rookie years was fine, but I can't look at those seasons in a vacuum...according to that chart, a guy like Yapukov should've been on his way to better things...a chart like that doesn't factor in work ethic, adjustment ability, etc.  When I saw that photo of Jack running and looking pretty chiseled (ahead of his second season), I felt that "OK, at least he's willing to put some serious work in...let's see what happens next."  And even though he still wasn't quite what we were hoping for in Year 2 (Age 19) season, he at least showed progress, and more of the skills that promised better production down the line.  And now, in his Age 20 season, he very much appears to be on his way...31 points in his last 21 games.  I think in general, fans can really be way too impatient with 1OAs...not all of them step right into the NHL and flourish...some of them actually do need some time to develop and adjust...as far as his offense goes, Jack was basically able to pull that off within 100 games...the guy has 53 points in his last 53 GP.  He still has things to work on, but for the most part, it's been a linear progression with him.  The guy can't even buy a beer yet and is well on his way to becoming a legit star.   

I don't know diddly about Kakko's work ethic, strength training, etc, but based off the glamour numbers, it doesn't appear that he's made much progress at all.  Sometimes it does take time...Shane Doan obviously wasn't a Top-5 pick, but he didn't really start to get it going until his fifth NHL season...over his first four years in the NHL, he managed just 62 points over 249 GP.  He would put up 883 in his next 1217 GP...the idea of that kind of production probably felt like a pipe dream to anyone watching that team prior. 

But by the end of next season, if I'm a Rangers fan, I need to see SOME level of progress from Kaako.  In ways he's been lucky in that the Rangers playing relatively well has allowed him to fly under the radar some.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

16 hours ago, Nicomo said:

There was a guy wearing a Kakko jersey at my local ECHL game over the weekend. I promptly pointed him out to my wife, and had a good laugh about the notion that Kakko is even in the same stratosphere as Jack Hughes as a player. 

I have Ranger fans asking me how is Hughes doing?  lol

So wrapped up in their world 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's still REALLY friggin' young (just turned 21), but yeah, even though he's only got 151 games under his belt (exact same amount as Jack), if I'm a Rangers fan I'm starting to worry. 

Jack had a tough rookie year of course, but part of the reason I wasn't yet worried about him was because to worry that early on would almost be assuming that he isn't capable of figuring things out or won't take the steps necessary to become better and stronger...SD's chart of 1OA rookie years was fine, but I can't look at those seasons in a vacuum...according to that chart, a guy like Yapukov should've been on his way to better things...a chart like that doesn't factor in work ethic, adjustment ability, etc.  When I saw that photo of Jack running and looking pretty chiseled (ahead of his second season), I felt that "OK, at least he's willing to put some serious work in...let's see what happens next."  And even though he still wasn't quite what we were hoping for in Year 2 (Age 19) season, he at least showed progress, and more of the skills that promised better production down the line.  And now, in his Age 20 season, he very much appears to be on his way...31 points in his last 21 games.  I think in general, fans can really be way too impatient with 1OAs...not all of them step right into the NHL and flourish...some of them actually do need some time to develop and adjust...as far as his offense goes, Jack was basically able to pull that off within 100 games...the guy has 53 points in his last 53 GP.  He still has things to work on, but for the most part, it's been a linear progression with him.  The guy can't even buy a beer yet and is well on his way to becoming a legit star.   

I don't know diddly about Kakko's work ethic, strength training, etc, but based off the glamour numbers, it doesn't appear that he's made much progress at all.  Sometimes it does take time...Shane Doan obviously wasn't a Top-5 pick, but he didn't really start to get it going until his fifth NHL season...over his first four years in the NHL, he managed just 62 points in over 249 GP.  He would put up 883 in his next 1217 GP...the idea of that kind of production probably felt like a pipe dream to anyone watching that team prior. 

But by the end of next season, if I'm a Rangers fan, I need to see SOME level of progress from Kaako.  In ways he's been lucky in that the Rangers playing relatively well has allowed him to fly under the radar some.      

Well stated as usual CR

Look at McKinnon.............a career point a game 1OA who struggled  ( and I use "struggled" very loosely here) his first three years and hit the gas pedal like nobody's business

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Well stated as usual CR

Look at McKinnon.............a career point a game 1OA who struggled  ( and I use "struggled" very loosely here) his first three years and hit the gas pedal like nobody's business

I’m fine when we say stuff like this about Jack but it should not be used to defend a guy on the Rangers when people say he sucks. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't know diddly about Kakko's work ethic, strength training, etc, but based off the glamour numbers, it doesn't appear that he's made much progress at all.  Sometimes it does take time...Shane Doan obviously wasn't a Top-5 pick, but he didn't really start to get it going until his fifth NHL season...over his first four years in the NHL, he managed just 62 points in over 249 GP.  He would put up 883 in his next 1217 GP...the idea of that kind of production probably felt like a pipe dream to anyone watching that team prior. 

All of this is well thought out and  abundantly fair. But also I need to add that Kakko sucks because F the Rangers tho. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Well stated as usual CR

MacKinnon is a great example...not every 1OA can be Connor McDavid or Sidney Crosby.  MacKinnon didn't fully become MacKinnon until his fifth year (Age 22 season), but man when he arrived, he ARRIVED.

When guys like Hischier and Hughes make the big club as 18-year-olds, I almost consider that "bonus time"...yeah, they may not necessarily wow right away, and could even look like they're not ready (obviously Hischier looked pretty good in his first season, Hughes not nearly as much), but it's still valuable development time...is Hughes as far along as he is now without having those tough 100 games or so to try to acclimate?  To me, when they're 22-23, that's when you really want to start seeing strides.

Hischier's become the occasional whipping boy as of late, but as the 2C he seems destined to be behind Jack, he's on a solid track...dude has 14 G and 19 A in his last 40 GP...that's not far off from a 30 G and 40 A season.  Would I take that from a 2C/occasional 1C?  Yeah.  Sometimes with that 1OA you get a RNH-type.  Doesn't mean that Nico can't be a useful, solid and IMPORTANT player here for many years to come.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

All of this is well thought out and  abundantly fair. But also I need to add that Kakko sucks because F the Rangers tho. 

Oh the "rational hockey fan" in me stands fully by what I posted.

The Devils fan in me says Kakko blows and I hope in a couple of seasons we're talking about what a bust he turned out to be.  I love that he hasn't done a whole hell of a lot to date, especially compared to where Jack is now.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Ummm..........what?

I'm not sure what you don't get. 

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh the "rational hockey fan" in me stands fully by what I posted.

The Devils fan in me says Kakko blows and I hope in a couple of seasons we're talking about what a bust he turned out to be.  I love that he hasn't done a whole hell of a lot to date, especially compared to where Jack is now.

I like that his name sounds like the noises a chicken makes. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I like that his name sounds like the noises a chicken makes. 

Absolutely.

Most of all, I love that Jack has one less point in his last 53 GP than Kakko has for his entire (albeit short) NHL career to date.

Especially since as DD56 mentioned, I heard that "Played with men!" crap from Rangers fans plenty.  

MacKinnon and Jack joined terrible teams though. Kakko and Laf have absolutely no excuses for not producing considering they’re playing with guys like Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Fox, Trouba, etc. Not to mention being coached by Gerard Gallant. Rags fans can’t just blame it on David Quinn anymore. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I "don't get" what you're implying because not sure who I'm "defending"

Well the topic was Kakko…unless you were going back to Jack. You literally liked a comment that said the same thing as mine.  

Either way, I stand by my statement because the Rangers suck and we should not be defending them. If that wasn’t what you were doing, good job. 

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

MacKinnon and Jack joined terrible teams though. Kakko and Laf have absolutely no excuses for not producing considering they’re playing with guys like Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Fox, Trouba, etc. Not to mention being coached by Gerard Gallant. Rags fans can’t just blame it on David Quinn anymore. 

FWIW, Lafreniere has 4 goals in his last 8 games.  Could be very well be a random burst (not like he's getting tons of SOG...he's shooting 28.6% in this limited sample, which is usually a sign of really good puck luck, with regression to soon follow...just ask Andreas Johnsson about that)...we'll see if he's actually starting to get it going.   

18 hours ago, MB3 said:

Seider looks special. Zegras is no-doubt flashier and craftier but he’s not on Jack’s level. He’ll be a fun player to watch but unless something dramatic happens, there’s no debate between the two of them. 

Seider might just fvck around and be the next Nick Lidstrom though, so who knows. Gun to your head, would you rather prime Lidstrom or prime Kane on your team? Obviously going with dramatic examples, but I don’t think there’s a wrong answer.

For sure, and you're right Zegras is way flashier but i've watched him play quite a bit and he's just very solid overall. Of course with what we've seen now Jack has the upper hand but i'm not closing the door that Zegras could challenge that spot cause he's just insane. And we've seen it before so who knows.

Not sure who i'd pick for my team between lidstrom or Kane. Probably lidstrom. 

All im glad about is that before the Hischier Patrick draft. I read that it was basically picking between Zetterberg (Hischier) and Eric Staal (Patrick). And i'm glad i was rooting for Zetterberg lol Cause eventhough he's not quite Zetterberg.... Nolan basically became Marty Havlat lol

Havlat played in nearly 800 games and finished with almost 600 points.  I get the feeling Nolan won't sniff either of those.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

FWIW, Lafreniere has 4 goals in his last 8 games.  Could be very well be a random burst (not like he's getting tons of SOG...he's shooting 28.6% in this limited sample, which is usually a sign of really good puck luck, with regression to soon follow...just ask Andreas Johnsson about that)...we'll see if he's actually starting to get it going.   

UGHHHH, who cares, the narrative is that he sucks!!