GDT - Devils at Nashville 1/26/23 - 8pm MSGSN

Satans Hockey

13 minutes ago, SeanMac16 said:

I agree our whole defense was trash, I know the hype on Douglas is high right now with the last two games and I was expecting to get flamed a bit but it looked like to me he really wasn't trying. I'm bringing him up because he's our #1 on defense. Being the best defenseman on the ice that we saw tonight is still pretty rough

I think a better term is “careless”.  Dougie can definitely have Severson-like “Huh WTF?!” moments.  But fortunately he doesn’t have nearly as many and he now has 45 points in 48 GP.  Just take some of the bad because the good outweighs it.

With Seves it’s the other way around.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SeanMac16 said:

It's nice to debate with another fan. I know there's been some rivalries on this board, im taking none of the flaming to heart and obviously respect you and your opinions of the game, I usually never post, I lurk though almost every game. I should post more I feel like I always see you guys talk and I know all of your opinions but you guys barely know me and I've been on this board since like 2011 lol

Post away man!  The more the merrier.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SeanMac16 said:

It's nice to debate with another fan. I know there's been some rivalries on this board, im taking none of the flaming to heart and obviously respect you and your opinions of the game, I usually never post, I lurk though almost every game. I should post more I feel like I always see you guys talk and I know all of your opinions but you guys barely know me and I've been on this board since like 2011 lol

All good bro. No hate whatsoever. Just fans getting heated after a loss in their own way I guess 😂

Edit: yes post more :)

Edited by Devils01
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, devlman said:

I agree with you. He looks disinterested with defensive responsibilities at times.

Yeah idk what it was, I was just staring at him and it just seemed like he was waiting for the game to end. But @Lateralous made a good point before that he might look like that based on his size and such which could be true I just never really noticed that before tonight 

• Like 1

Just now, SeanMac16 said:

Yeah idk what it was, I was just staring at him and it just seemed like he was waiting for the game to end. But @Lateralous made a good point before that he might look like that based on his size and such which could be true I just never really noticed that before tonight 

I think that’s just how he plays at times, unfortunately. I certainly don’t agree with the suggestion of scratching him though.

• Like 1

I can’t even imagine being down on Dougie right now. Dude has a strong case for being our 2nd best player after Jack this season. He’s going to make the occasional mistake (he’s never been known for his defense - we knew what we were getting with him), but like CR said, the good way outweighs the bad. He’s a stud. 

• Like 4

Just now, devlman said:

I think that’s just how he plays at times, unfortunately. I certainly don’t agree with the suggestion of scratching him though.

That's fair, I also take that back the loss has settled with me now lol. Like @Devils01 said I was just getting my frustrations out in my own way. And that take was pure salt lol 

• Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

I can’t even imagine being down on Dougie right now. Dude has a strong case for being our 2nd best player after Jack this season. He’s going to make the occasional mistake (he’s never been known for his defense - we knew what we were getting with him), but like CR said, the good way outweighs the bad. He’s a stud. 

He’s been terrific and the good definitely outweighs the bad. I personally just didn’t realize the amount of bad (not that he’s below average) he had, defensively 

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I agree with CR, maybe I was wrong to just single out dougie. But I'm in no way down on him he's 95% the next jersey I'm buying. I guess he just had a bad game but with great power comes great responsibility and since he's like THE GUY for our defense I guess I lashed out at him but I only feel that way about him for THIS GAME. I know he's one of our best players, I'd much rather see severson gone from this team than dougie 

Edited by SeanMac16
Do you even have to ask?

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

It's weird reading threads and not seeing the "you've chosen to ignore this content...." every other message.

I'm assuming since I see this, it's not me you blocked 😂

Just now, SeanMac16 said:

I'm assuming since I see this, it's not me you blocked 😂

Oh wait, I'm dumb. you mean because people got kicked out so you DON'T see that. Don't mind me people, as you were gentleman 

• Haha 1

Ok, so their January results are the opposite of December, in terms of wins.  However, Ruff confidently expressed his belief they are a winning team during the month of November because of the underlying metrics, rightfully so.  In fact, those underlying numbers were just about as good in December and it was a horrible S% in the 7s that was the issue.  They just couldn’t get the puck in the back of the net.  I took a look at their underlying metrics for January and they are not good, at all.  Overall, for the season they are still top 3 many of those possession metrics, but that is because November was great and December they were very good, if not also great.

How confident is Ruff, despite the wins in January?  Is there cause for concern due to the steep decline in possession metrics?  I’m happy they are figuring out how to win, but is it sustainable?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

Ok, so their January results are the opposite of December, in terms of wins.  However, Ruff confidently expressed his belief they are a winning team during the month of November because of the underlying metrics, rightfully so.  In fact, those underlying numbers were just about as good in December and it was a horrible S% in the 7s that was the issue.  They just couldn’t get the puck in the back of the net.  I took a look at their underlying metrics for January and they are not good, at all.  Overall, for the season they are still top 3 many of those possession metrics, but that is because November was great and December they were very good, if not also great.

How confident is Ruff, despite the wins in January?  Is there cause for concern due to the steep decline in possession metrics?  I’m happy they are figuring out how to win, but is it sustainable?

This has largely been as unimpressive of a 9-2-2 run as it gets…superb goaltending coupled with opponents somehow not cashing in on the insane amount of high danger chances that the Devils are giving up as of late has allowed this team to somehow keep banking points.  And of course scoring so many goals with their goalie pulled.  Luck has been on their side to an insane degree.

The good news is that they do have some guys who are capable of converting the chances (at a very good rate) that they get, and in Jack’s case, he’s your classic “Create something out of nothing” superstar.  They have just enough talent that they can sometimes get away with being outplayed and outchanced, but obviously this is all going to catch up with them if they don’t get things straightened out in February.

Also easy to take excellent goaltending for granted…VV has wildly exceeded expectations.  I’ve already pointed it out but he’s basically been a .930 save% goalie for most of his season…his first start and a mild dip when the Devils were struggling are what’s dragging him down to .916…his season save% is misleading.  We all love what he’s doing and maybe he’s found another level, but there’s always the chance that he could come back to Earth some…should that happen, the Devils won’t be getting away with nearly as much as they have been during this peculiar 9-2-2 run.

With each game (win or lose) we’re reminded how much the Devils miss Marino, and how much they need a solid stay-at-home rock.  The more minutes Severson gets, the more he gets exposed for being the careless, brain-dead, maddening player that he’s always been; I’ve said it a bunch of times but Seves is a classic bad-team player…NHLer, yes, but he has no business playing on a contender.  Smith has been a failure; there’s just no nice way to say it.  Fitz needs to upgrade there, and Seves needs to go back to getting third-pair minutes the second Marino settles back in after shaking off any rust.

The ASB is coming at a perfect time, and Fitz will hopefully be as good of a deadline buyer as he’s been a seller.  And hopefully the Devils will bounce back and play legit good in February, instead of relying on insane luck that allowed them to “surge” through a most misleading January.  At least they’ve built up another cushion to try to figure things out.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

It’s a legit question. Glad they’re solidly in a playoff spot while we find out if it’s sustainable.

Edited by Jerrydevil

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The ASB is coming at a perfect time, and Fitz will hopefully be as good of a deadline buyer as he’s been a seller.  And hopefully the Devils will bounce back and play legit good in February, instead of relying on insane luck that allowed them to “surge” through a most misleading January.  At least they’ve built up another cushion to try to figure things out.

This. We need the All Star break, badly. And Fitz HAS to address their shortcomings, preferably before the deadline, to allow the new player to build some legitimate chemistry.

This team NEEDS to make the playoffs. They've battled too hard and had too many lucky breaks to fall out now. Fitz has to show them he believes in them and get them help. Getting rid of all the deadweight is going to be impossible during the season, thankfully a good majority are on expiring contracts.

Edited by jagknife
Clarity on "a break"
  • Like 1

The sunny side look is that the Devils have shown this season that they have the capability to win hockey games in more than one way. But generally, they need to tighten things up. Graves and Siegenthaler were awesome to start the season, and now they’re pretty average. Is this all about Marino? I don’t know, maybe it is. Can’t wait to find out when Marino comes back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

This. We need the All Star break, badly. And Fitz HAS to address their shortcomings, preferably before the deadline, to allow the new player to build some legitimate chemistry.

This team NEEDS to make the playoffs. They've battled too hard and had too many lucky breaks to fall out now. Fitz has to show them he believes in them and get them help. Getting rid of all the deadweight is going to be impossible during the season, thankfully a good majority are on expiring contracts.

They won't fall out.  The WC teams haven't really showed much ability to go on the kind of tear needed to vault ahead of the Devils.  If the Devils manage 34 points over their final 34 games, that's 100 points...and I would expect them to top that.  Take a look at where the WC teams currently are and you'll see how difficult it will be for them to jump ahead.  Getting Marino back it going to be huge.  And I suspect at the very least, Fitz is going to add one or two mid-tier players, if he decides not to go all-in on Meier.

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

The sunny side look is that the Devils have shown this season that they have the capability to win hockey games in more than one way. But generally, they need to tighten things up. Graves and Siegenthaler were awesome to start the season, and now they’re pretty average. Is this all about Marino? I don’t know, maybe it is. Can’t wait to find out when Marino comes back. 

I’d say Siegs has still been at least slightly above average (down from flat out fantastic), and Graves well below average. Not counting last night ofc, where pretty much everyone on defense sucked. 

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They won't fall out.  The WC teams haven't really showed much ability to go on the kind of tear needed to vault ahead of the Devils.  If the Devils manage 34 points over their final 34 games, that's 100 points...and I would expect them to top that.  Take a look at where the WC teams currently are and you'll see how difficult it will be for them to jump ahead.  Getting Marino back it going to be huge.  And I suspect at the very least, Fitz is going to add one or two mid-tier players, if he decides not to go all-in on Meier.

I think with the falling out, while not denying there is a sliver of fear in my statement of the bottom coming completely out, is more of we can’t free fall and back pedal our way into the post season thanks solely to the 13 game heater.

34 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I think with the falling out, while not denying there is a sliver of fear in my statement of the bottom coming completely out, is more of we can’t free fall and back pedal our way into the post season thanks solely to the 13 game heater.

The 7-0-1 stretch helped a lot, too. 

They’re currently at a 95.7% chance to make the playoffs according to Moneypuck. 

• Like 1