GDT - Devils @ Hurricanes Semifinals Game 1 5/3/23 7:00pm ESPN

NJDfan1711

52 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Haven't watched the game as I physically couldn't stay awake after Monday. 

However I will say this, the result wasn't a surprise given the turnaround from game 7 to this. 

The NHL is a joke. It's not a level playing field. How you can make a team go straight into the next series with travel is beyond me. There should be a minimum length of time between one series starting and another beginning. 

Hope the boys rest up and come back fighting in the next one. Splitting the two road games would be far from a disaster given the circumstances.

In a way it's a penalty for not finding a way to wrap up your series quickly enough...this has often been an issue with the Rangers through the years, which is how they managed to waste four excellent playoff seasons from Lundqvist.  Too many series going at least 6 games, too many times having to fight back from being down, etc.

Messier made it a point to tell his Ranger teammates how important it was to try to get early series over with ASAP, as to have more left in the tank for the CF and SCF.  Of course with more parity now, that can be a little easier said than done.

But simply by virtue of the Canes getting their previous series done in 6 AND getting that first game at home, they were clearly the FAR better rested team, and it showed.  As the Devils figure out playoff hockey, hopefully they will be able to get through the early rounds with less effort.

Think about it...it probably didn't hurt that in their three Cup-winning seasons, the Devils got through the first two rounds in 10 games each time.  Only one of those series went more than 5 games.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

The morning after reflection: obviously not the result we wanted but I'm not going to kill the team.  Canes had 5 days off and we were coming off of an emotional 7-game slog. Try and steal one in their building tomorrow and make it a best-of-5.  All the analysts are already saying how excited they are for the Canes to make it out of the 2nd round. Make them look fvckin stupid AGAIN.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

The morning after reflection: obviously not the result we wanted but I'm not going to kill the team.  Canes had 5 days off and we were coming off of an emotional 7-game slog. Try and steal one in their building tomorrow and make it a best-of-5.  All the analysts are already saying how excited they are for the Canes to make it out of the 2nd round. Make them look fvckin stupid AGAIN.

All of this, exactly.  Maybe the Canes at this point are indeed able to shut down the Devils in a playoff series, but I'm definitely not attempting to make that distinction based off last night's game, when factoring in everything else.  If tomorrow night's game yields a similar result, then I'll start to worry some.  But yeah, tie this series up 1-1 (or even lose in very competitive fashion in Game 2) and it's a much different feel. 

In some ways Game 1 of most NHL playoff series are very similar to Week 1 results in the NFL...there's nothing to compare them to yet, so people tend to overreact either way, especially if one team gets blown out.  I remember watching the Patriots open up seasons with a 31-0 loss to the Bills and a 33-20 loss to the Dolphins - oh no!  Not only a loss to start the season, but a costly divisional loss to boot!  What's happening?!  All the Pats did was go on to win Super Bowls both seasons.  

I couldn't care less what the analysts say...we get it, many of them still hold some kind of contempt for the Devils for whatever their reasons, and apparently think all of New Jersey is this massive toxic waste dump with nothing redeeming.  Anyone who lives here knows that's not the case at all, and that there's quite the abundance of scenic beauty (not to mention PLENTY to do).  fvck the analysts.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Re: the bolded… is there a single team in sports that gets actively cheered against on national broadcasting like the Devils? I’d have thought you’d want to promote all of your teams. It’s insane to me. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Re: the bolded… is there a single team in sports that gets actively cheered against on national broadcasting like the Devils? I’d have thought you’d want to promote all of your teams. It’s insane to me. 

Seriously...why are the Devils the fvcking bad guys?!  They have talent and speed and can be quite dynamic, they can score (well, in the regular season), they're not dirty on the ice, they have more young talent soon to join...they have a chance to be one of the NHL's more entertaining teams for several years.  And yes, they play their home games in New Jersey.  Too fvcking bad.  

• EvilHeart 2

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I would like PK to just cut right to the chase and ask this bluntly on air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I would like PK to just cut right to the chase and ask this bluntly on air.

If anyone would do it, I could see it being him.  He really seems to have genuine emotional connection to how the Devils are faring this year.  

• Like 1

I'm amazed at how much my opinion of PK changed when he came to the Devils. I love the guy now. For whatever reason, or maybe for no reason at all, I always perceived him as an arrogant pr!ck. One of my best friends in Ottawa, who is a huge Habs fan, always tried to tell me I was wrong about him, and now I see that he was right.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brick Pig said:

I'm amazed at how much my opinion of PK changed when he came to the Devils. I love the guy now. For whatever reason, or maybe for no reason at all, I always perceived him as an arrogant pr!ck. One of my best friends in Ottawa, who is a huge Habs fan, always tried to tell me I was wrong about him, and now I see that he was right.

SD was the one who really seemed to have a pure hatred for PK the person, to an insane degree.  I think he was largely alone here, in that regard...most of us didn't think terribly highly of PK the player, the expensive, declining slew-footer whose best days were obviously far behind him.  I didn't know nearly enough about him as a person to have any real opinion of who he was.  

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In a way it's a penalty for not finding a way to wrap up your series quickly enough...this has often been an issue with the Rangers through the years, which is how they managed to waste four excellent playoff seasons from Lundqvist.  Too many series going at least 6 games, too many times having to fight back from being down, etc.

Messier made it a point to tell his Ranger teammates how important it was to try to get early series over with ASAP, as to have more left in the tank for the CF and SCF.  Of course with more parity now, that can be a little easier said than done.

But simply by virtue of the Canes getting their previous series done in 6 AND getting that first game at home, they were clearly the FAR better rested team, and it showed.  As the Devils figure out playoff hockey, hopefully they will be able to get through the early rounds with less effort.

Think about it...it probably didn't hurt that in their three Cup-winning seasons, the Devils got through the first two rounds in 10 games each time.  Only one of those series went more than 5 games.  

I get it, and if the shoe was on the other foot I would probably be happy the Canes had little time to prep. But at the same time it has to affect the on ice product, and the NHL should want the series to be competitive and enjoyable. 

I don't think two days between is unreasonable, and the team that made it through still gets extra time. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I get it, and if the shoe was on the other foot I would probably be happy the Canes had little time to prep. But at the same time it has to affect the on ice product, and the NHL should want the series to be competitive and enjoyable. 

I don't think two days between is unreasonable, and the team that made it through still gets extra time. 

I hear what you're saying, but even though it's my team being hurt by this at the moment, I like that there's more urgency to finish off a series early, so that the winning team can reap the rewards.  I'm sure the 2023-24 Devils will be thinking "Let's take of business here!" and trying like hell to get the earlier series done in 6 games or less.  Not that they WANTED the series with the Rangers to go seven of course, or were somehow screwing around at any point...and maybe next season they might find themselves in the same boat depending on how they match up with their first-round opponent.  But I think you get what I'm going for.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I got some flack for the timliness of the last GDT....let's go, who's up and making the one for tomorrow? 

I nominate @Nicomo

• Like 2