2023 all-purpose Pre-season GDT

RunninWithTheDevil

Yeah not much of a surprise re:  Nemec, and I completely understand why.  Devils do not have to rush this kid and yeah, there's currently numbers in house.    

It's funny, in that I'm sure that Nemec would be playing on MANY other teams, quite possibly as soon as last season.  But of course, the big trade-off for him is that he won't be stuck slogging his way through multiple years of his team sucking/figuring sh!t out/being irrelevant.  He'll be playing for a highly competitive team before he's even old enough to buy himself a beer.  Not many 2OAs enjoy such a luxury.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

If Miller is awful, Nemec will be up soon enough. 

Dallas fans complained mightily about Miller, so there's that. 

He really did NOT look good in preseason action.  I know he only cost a 2025 5th to acquire, but the fact that his play has managed to keep Brandon Smith more relevant than he ever should have been is disappointing.  

8 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Luke showed better offensive flashes but also worse defensive lapses. If Luke ans Nemec weren't both trying to make the team at the same time I think Nemec would be staying. They are trying to not make the Holtz mistake.

I think I agree. He's waiver exempt now so might as well take advantage of that while you can. 

I'm sure Lindy and Fitzy talked to him and assured him that he had a great camp, probably talked about how deep the team is right now, and how he's on the top of their list of callups if we get nailed with injuries. Nemec seems like a good kid, he'll take it in stride I'm sure. I'm interested in watching him prove this year that he's too good for the AHL. I'd see a near point per game player but I know that's a kind of high bar, even for the A. 

And yeah, I think Nemec even looked better than Miller and that's saying a lot. I hope he figures it out because being a vet with a one-way deal saved him here. 

Getting outplayed by Brendan Smith too. I don't like our defense really after the top 4. One injury away from having Smith-Miller on a 3rd pairing most nights. Bleck. I guess that would be Nemec's time to shine in a sense. 

Its not a broken English, I said what I wanted. That was a clear idea of "ty smith" is a worst  definition for anything. Even for himself. And he was so bad, that he wasn't even "himself", but a walking bag of himself. Walking, its hard to call it "skating".

I don't like to hate players mostly, but Smith and Butcher have special place in my heart. Walsh is sitting near the entrance.

13 hours ago, Guadana said:

Its not a broken English, I said what I wanted. That was a clear idea of "ty smith" is a worst  definition for anything. Even for himself. And he was so bad, that he wasn't even "himself", but a walking bag of himself. Walking, its hard to call it "skating".

I don't like to hate players mostly, but Smith and Butcher have special place in my heart. Walsh is sitting near the entrance.

I would describe your English as "a bit garbled but usually understandable/passable"; not saying that to be insulting, it's just that as far as proper grammar/structure/syntax goes, your English is simply off.  Most of the time I can tell what you're going for, but due to English clearly not being your first language, you sometimes come up with things that are...funny because they represent a highly unusual way of trying to express yourself, as far as English goes.

No one who's a native English speaker would ever say "bag of himself"...the closest thing that I can think of that comes to that is "shell of himself", but in sports, that saying is more reserved for players who were once quite good, but are no longer anywhere near what they were at their peak...so that doesn't really apply to Ty, who I would say at his best here was "cautiously promising".

I was in Spain back in the 80s, as part of a summer study program; I was a very good student in Spanish and that's how I got to be a part of the trip.  I was far from fluent (I could get by, but it was tough sledding).  By the end of the trip I felt just comfortable enough to occasionally crack jokes in Spanish with native speakers, and they would laugh, sometimes because my quips were funny, but also because I would phrase things and use words in contexts that native Spanish speakers never would.  So I know what it's like, to have enough of a grasp of a language to kinda-sorta get my point across.

Re:  the players you listed, the good news is that it wasn't like they got chance after chance after chance to fail here (the way young players sometimes will).  Ty was not only outta here pretty quickly, Fitz was able to flip him for a legitimately terrific player.  He dumped Butcher and even ate some money to do it, with a year left on his deal.  And of course Walsh got all of one game up here...Butch was really the only one here long enough to infuriate, and at the time, given the pure lack of D depth, I understood giving him as much time as they did...just glad the Devils have turned the corner and moved on from all of them.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I would describe your English as "a bit garbled but usually understandable/passable"; not saying that to be insulting, it's just that as far as proper grammar/structure/syntax goes, your English is simply off.  Most of the time I can tell what you're going for, but due to English clearly not being your first language, you sometimes come up with things that are...funny because they represent a highly unusual way of trying to express yourself, as far as English goes.

No one who's a native English speaker would ever say "bag of himself"...the closest thing that I can think of that comes to that is "shell of himself", but in sports, that saying is more reserved for players who were once quite good, but are no longer anywhere near what they were at their peak...so that doesn't really apply to Ty, who I would say at his best here was "cautiously promising".

I was in Spain back in the 80s, as part of a summer study program; I was a very good student in Spanish and that's how I got to be a part of the trip.  I was far from fluent (I could get by, but it was tough sledding).  By the end of the trip I felt just comfortable enough to occasional crack jokes in Spanish with native speakers, and they would laugh, sometimes because my quips were funny, but also because I would phrase things and use words in contexts that native Spanish speakers never would.  So I know what it's like, to have enough of a grasp of a language to kinda-sorta get my point across.

Re:  the players you listed, the good news is that it wasn't like they got chance after chance after chance to fail here (the way young players sometimes will).  Ty was not only outta here pretty quickly, Fitz was able to flip him for a legitimately terrific player.  He dumped Butcher and even ate some money to do it, with a year left on his deal.  And of course Walsh got all of one game up here...Butch was really the only one here long enough to infuriate, and at the time, given the pure lack of D depth, I understood giving him as much time as they did...just glad the Devils have turned the corner and moved on from all of them.  

Of course my English can't be on the level with, my vocabulary is short. And I don't live and don't talk with English speakers regularly. Mostly never, only texting. 

Russian language is much more open. You can write words in any place of the sentence. Like "write in any place you can in the sentence" or "in the sentence words you write can in any place" and it will mean the same, the difference is in semantic emphasis. There are some stable expressions, but in general the language allows you to beat a lot. English has its own very clamped structure. Which also allows you to play with words in your own way. So even if I use something non-classical - maybe I'm doing it on purpose. Because it's fun. Even if its crooked. 

I studied Spanish for 3-4 months. Im a  fan of Latin American literature and wanted to read it in  original. But at some point I had to choose where to invest my time, and I delved into drawing. Now I'm working as a background artist on a serious project. And literature has to be read in Russian as before. Hope you have some good and romantic stories from your Spain time. I believe it was a time of your life. 

Fitz started to draft and trade defensemen of his type from the beggining. Graves was much better (even then I expected from assistant gm of Shero), Mukhamadullin, Hughes, Vilen, Marino, Nemec, Orlov and Karpovich. Even Barabosha and Cheslock. Al of them are big, mobile defensemen who is capable to defend. And  many of them are more transitional defensemen then playmaking QBs. Only Casey is exceptional but he is very mobile and active, he is very involved and good on the short distance. So I think with Walsh he saw enough before to not losing time of the ream and Walsh time too. He traded him to the Boston - team with very bad prospect pool. If he has something, its a good place for him to earn the roster spot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

Of course my English can't be on the level with, my vocabulary is short. And I don't live and don't talk with English speakers regularly. Mostly never, only texting. 

Russian language is much more open. You can write words in any place of the sentence. Like "write in any place you can in the sentence" or "in the sentence words you write can in any place" and it will mean the same, the difference is in semantic emphasis. There are some stable expressions, but in general the language allows you to beat a lot. English has its own very clamped structure. Which also allows you to play with words in your own way. So even if I use something non-classical - maybe I'm doing it on purpose. Because it's fun. Even if its crooked. 

I studied Spanish for 3-4 months. Im a  fan of Latin American literature and wanted to read it in  original. But at some point I had to choose where to invest my time, and I delved into drawing. Now I'm working as a background artist on a serious project. And literature has to be read in Russian as before. Hope you have some good and romantic stories from your Spain time. I believe it was a time of your life. 

Fitz started to draft and trade defensemen of his type from the beggining. Graves was much better (even then I expected from assistant gm of Shero), Mukhamadullin, Hughes, Vilen, Marino, Nemec, Orlov and Karpovich. Even Barabosha and Cheslock. Al of them are big, mobile defensemen who is capable to defend. And  many of them are more transitional defensemen then playmaking QBs. Only Casey is exceptional but he is very mobile and active, he is very involved and good on the short distance. So I think with Walsh he saw enough before to not losing time of the ream and Walsh time too. He traded him to the Boston - team with very bad prospect pool. If he has something, its a good place for him to earn the roster spot. 

My brother's second wife is Russian (and she has a great last name for hockey:  Kondrachuk).  Their kids (now 10 and 9) can speak some Russian...think they can read a little too.  My brother never even tried to learn.  Obviously if you grow up learning English, one look at the Cyrillic alphabet is enough to make your eyes bug (it's almost intimidating because it's SO different)...and of course, there's some letters that we recognize, but are pronounced completely differently (B's sound like V's, H's sound like N's, etc).  And what's this letter that looks like a number "3"?

The kids actually picked up some of their Russian from Russian cartoons...their mother ordered a bunch of them on DVD, and when they were playing together in their playroom, they would watch them. 

And yeah, Spain was a blast.  Spent most of it in Madrid.  Basically sunny and beautiful every day.  I was there in July - August 1986, as a 16-year-old.  

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 8:54 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My brother's second wife is Russian (and she has a great last name for hockey:  Kondrachuk).  Their kids (now 10 and 9) can speak some Russian...think they can read a little too.  My brother never even tried to learn.  Obviously if you grow up learning English, one look at the Cyrillic alphabet is enough to make your eyes bug (it's almost intimidating because it's SO different)...and of course, there's some letters that we recognize, but are pronounced completely differently (B's sound like V's, H's sound like N's, etc).  And what's this letter that looks like a number "3"?

The kids actually picked up some of their Russian from Russian cartoons...their mother ordered a bunch of them on DVD, and when they were playing together in their playroom, they would watch them. 

And yeah, Spain was a blast.  Spent most of it in Madrid.  Basically sunny and beautiful every day.  I was there in July - August 1986, as a 16-year-old.  

Hope everything is okay in your family after everything that "started" in 2022. 
I should notice and advice to watch some soviet animation movies. They have very good, kind human morality, about friendship and mutual assistance. They are not so bright and catchy, but they do not warm up the idea of aggressive, hot-tempered behavior, cartoons are very empathetic. You can argue with many things and disagree, but the фтшьфешщт in the Soviet Union was really good. Your children will still have time to absorb modern culture through classmates and tiktoks.

16 years in Spain. Envy. It was easier for me. I was a smart, calm child and moved to Moscow at 16 from a small town where I met a lot of interesting people. In general, it is a very important age to spend it in some interesting scenery with interesting people. Whether it's Moscow, New York, Madrid, etc.