2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

6 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

That’s the singular fear I have about the Devils somehow sneaking into the postseason: Fitz seeing Green as a long-term answer and removing the “interim” tag.  While Green has made some adjustments I like (e.g., Timo playing RW and alongside Nico), I don’t necessarily see those moves as signs of innovative or adept coaching so much as expected corrections of woefully inept coaching.

Moreover, Green has the same Brendan Smith fetish as his predecessor and has actually managed to make Smith even more unlikable by pairing him with Nemec, which should never have been allowed.  Green isn’t a solution, merely a stopgap, and the sooner Fitz realizes this, the better off the Devils will be.

Re:  Fitz and Groan, I gotta see Fitz actually KEEP him before I fear the worst.  Hopefully not.

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  Fitz and Groan, I gotta see Fitz actually KEEP him before I fear the worst.  Hopefully not.

I hope that this season has taught Fitz a lesson about the dangers of trying to get by with what you have as opposed to searching for better solutions when something clearly isn’t working.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

If Fitz hires Green, I’m calling for his fvcking head. He better not fvcking dare. 

He has to realize—or at least I hope he realizes—that if he screws up the coaching hire, he won’t last the rest of his contract.  If he wants to include Green on his list of candidates as a formality, fine, but he needs to ultimately hire someone else, preferably someone who is a motivator, has a defense-first mindset, and will hire assistants who know what they’re doing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

He has to realize—or at least I hope he realizes—that if he screws up the coaching hire, he won’t last the rest of his contract.  If he wants to include Green on his list of candidates as a formality, fine, but he needs to ultimately hire someone else, preferably someone who is a motivator, has a defense-first mindset, and will hire assistants who know what they’re doing.

💯💯💯💯💯

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

If Fitz hires Green, I’m calling for his fvcking head. He better not fvcking dare. 

I don't disagree, but if the miracle happens and the Devils make the playoffs, Green will most certainly get the full time job as HC.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, right?

• Like 1
  • Vomiting 2

9 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I don't disagree, but if the miracle happens and the Devils make the playoffs, Green will most certainly get the full time job as HC.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, right?

I don't think that's necessarily the case because if the Devils did somehow sneak in and then got absolutely waxed by their first-round opponent, I find it hard to believe that Fitz would just blindly stick with Groan.

But the key word in your post is "miracle".  We're still about four days away from knowing if any miracles are in the cards.  Devils have to beat the Sabres and Pens, and continue to get help.  Any conversations about miracle runs could fully be dead by the end of the Pens game.

• Like 1

Many fans don't see why we play B. Smith over other.  In the event someone go's after one of our stars, what D-man will step in besides Bahler? . Marino?  Luke?  Nemec? Siegs? Why he traded for Kurtis!  Smith is probably well liked & he'll answer the bell. That's why he'll be in there every night.  AND, maybe resigned? I think Fitz will address this over the summer.  

21 minutes ago, vincois said:

Many fans don't see why we play B. Smith over other.  In the event someone go's after one of our stars, what D-man will step in besides Bahler? . Marino?  Luke?  Nemec? Siegs? Why he traded for Kurtis!  Smith is probably well liked & he'll answer the bell. That's why he'll be in there every night.  AND, maybe resigned? I think Fitz will address this over the summer.  

Sure he steps in and runs his mouth.

he also has absolutely some of the lowest discipline we’ve seen from someone attempting to fill that role since Wood was an absolute liability.

If Smith lead by example and would step in when required, cool, keep him. But the dude cannot stay out of the box in a regular basis and holy hell is he awful at defense and brings rookies down with him.

• Like 1

Random thoughts. Would you make an effort to try & resign Toffoli?  Macleod-off topic, but can't he make a living awaiting trial? Could he play in European league?

After this season Cory Schneider, Tanev & Kuokkenen come off books, but Kovy has one more year.  Clearing all that cap space

Goal: not sure Fitz will do w/ #1 over the summer. But, I doubt we'll be drafting another goalie. Having Brennan, Daws, Schmido, & Poulter under contract, considering bringing Malek over to N.A.? likely parting with Kinkaid , Kallgren.  

16 minutes ago, vincois said:

Random thoughts. Would you make an effort to try & resign Toffoli?  Macleod-off topic, but can't he make a living awaiting trial? Could he play in European league?

After this season Cory Schneider, Tanev & Kuokkenen come off books, but Kovy has one more year.  Clearing all that cap space

Goal: not sure Fitz will do w/ #1 over the summer. But, I doubt we'll be drafting another goalie. Having Brennan, Daws, Schmido, & Poulter under contract, considering bringing Malek over to N.A.? likely parting with Kinkaid , Kallgren.  

No to Toffoli, for reasons that I stated previously.  He can score but doesn't bring much else, is too slow to really jell with this group of forwards, and the Devils need to become more physical.

There's cap space, but looks like the Devils are going to take on a considerable cap hit if he lands a big fish to play goal; if that's Saros or Ullmark, he'll have to pay them beyond next season.  Also Luke will already be up for an extension as a RFA after next year, and not sure what Dawson's next deal will look like (if he's not dealt as part of a package for a goalie).  Guess he might take a two-year bridge deal and hope he plays well enough to snag a payday in a few years, because this year hurt his leverage.

Yeah not sure what Fitz will do with the goalies in house, but suffice it to say that Allen looks like the only one who will go into next season as part of the plans for the 2024-25 New Jersey Devils.  Daws or Schmid are only getting called up if someone gets hurt, and I say "or" because I suspect at least one of them will be gone after this season.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

And get this team to be more physical.

• Like 1

I probably like Toffoli more than most but I think if the Devils were bringing him back, they would've extended him. How often does a team trade a rental at the deadline and then resign him in July?

I'd be surprised if BOTH Daws and Schmid are still in the org next season; both are RFAs and you need a spot for Poulter in Utica. I don't know much about Malek's profile as a prospect but he does have one of the best SV% in the top Finnish league this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

I probably like Toffoli more than most but I think if the Devils were bringing him back, they would've extended him. How often does a team trade a rental at the deadline and then resign him in July?

I'd be surprised if BOTH Daws and Schmid are still in the org next season; both are RFAs and you need a spot for Poulter in Utica. I don't know much about Malek's profile as a prospect but he does have one of the best SV% in the top Finnish league this year.

The Yankees did that with Aroldis Chapman, but those were unusual circumstances, and baseball’s financial infrastructure is obviously different from that of hockey.

1 hour ago, nmigliore said:

It's happened a few times in hockey, but it's not common practice for sure.

I think it might happen if Toffoli doesn't get the kind of long-term offer that he was hoping for.  At one point, I wasn't opposed to a couple of years, but now I'd just rather go in a different direction altogether.  If Toffoli's not scoring 35+, he's not really helping, and even at 35+, that probably isn't enough to offset the rest of the time.  It's not like he's not exactly moving the needle much for the Jets, and it doesn't feel like Devils have missed him.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's happened a few times in hockey, but it's not common practice for sure.

I think it might happen if Toffoli doesn't get the kind of long-term offer that he was hoping for.  At one point, I wasn't opposed to a couple of years, but now I'd just rather go in a different direction altogether.  If Toffoli's not scoring 35+, he's not really helping, and even at 35+, that probably isn't enough to offset the rest of the time.  It's not like he's not exactly moving the needle much for the Jets, and it doesn't feel like Devils have missed him.  

If anything the offense looks better without him, the overpassing and indecisiveness of certain players notwithstanding.  I hope that’s sufficient to convince Fitz that he shouldn’t waste his time on a reunion.

1 hour ago, ButlerBulldog said:

If anything the offense looks better without him, the overpassing and indecisiveness of certain players notwithstanding.  I hope that’s sufficient to convince Fitz that he shouldn’t waste his time on a reunion.

Agree. He didn't do anything unless he was fed the puck already in a shooting position. That doesn't work for a team that generates most of their O off the rush. Too many times seeing him being slow, missing passes in front of him, and generally being a liability trying to transition up ice.

• Like 1

Why can't the Devils bring up Clarke? Willman scored the another night, great, but he's still getting out-chanced 70% of the time on-ice at 5v5. Tierney (10 pts in 43 games and below break-even by goals, expected goals, scoring chances, shot attempts) hasn't been much better. 

6 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Why can't the Devils bring up Clarke? Willman scored the another night, great, but he's still getting out-chanced 70% of the time on-ice at 5v5. Tierney (10 pts in 43 games and below break-even by goals, expected goals, scoring chances, shot attempts) hasn't been much better. 

They don't seem to want to give him much of an extended look. It may be because he is more of what they already have, small forward? Not sure, but his career clock is ticking at 22 years old and, if I were him, I'd be looking to get the fvck out of dodge as soon as I can to get to a place that might actually give me a shot.

6 hours ago, nmigliore said:

Isn't the whole idea of that to get something for the guy in March, then re-sign him? As opposed to re-signing him in March and not getting something....

Disregard. I thought you were asking why, but I can see you were asking how often happens. And in that case, I agree with you - I think it's seldom, if ever. 

Edited by NJDfan1711

On 3/28/2024 at 8:53 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well at least the Devils made that decision easier for Fitz tonight lol, I was a bit paranoid Allen might save this team enough to get Green a stay of execution.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

The Yankees did that with Aroldis Chapman, but those were unusual circumstances, and baseball’s financial infrastructure is obviously different from that of hockey.

Not to mention unless the market somehow crashes the way the MLB market this year, I don't see Toffoli suddenly lessening his demands, or taking less to come back here.

• Like 1

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

Not to mention unless the market somehow crashes the way the MLB market this year, I don't see Toffoli suddenly lessening his demands, or taking less to come back here.

If he thinks he’s getting the 5-to-6 year deal that he’s apparently looking for, he’s out of his mind, unless it’s to a team like Columbus, who might do something that dumb.

I can see Fitz getting involved if Toffoli is willing to take three years.  And if that happens, I won’t be happy about it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well at least the Devils made that decision easier for Fitz tonight lol, I was a bit paranoid Allen might save this team enough to get Green a stay of execution.

I was afraid of the same. I don’t want Fitz even entertaining the idea of retaining Green.

• Like 2