GDT: Devils travel to Minnesota Adjective - 2 Nov @ 8p

jagknife

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

Sorry man, on a discussion forum, I think most try prod others for their opinions on things. Nobody is saying everyone has to be an Armchair GM. Have you considered that they might be genuinely interested in your opinion?

People are only being interested in what your opinion on a solution would be. Be grateful for that. 

I think it’s more so “if you don’t agree you’re wrong!” Around here with a couple people. If you can’t see that the two goalies have looked like dog sh!t most of the games through the start here I don’t know what to tell you. I’m a hockey fan first as much as I love the devils, a team fan second. All I’ve ever said is this goaltending is not going to carry us deep and right away I get attacked with well then tell us who you’d go get, who you’d give up so on and so forth. I’ve never said give up this guy for that guy, I’m not a fvcking gm. All I ever said was what’s going on in goal is not going to be acceptable. Neither of these goalies are going to get us where we want to be. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Says the guy that didn't show up at all until he had something to come in here and bitch about to stir up the hornets nest. Best not to throw stones, you're quickly approaching the territory of people like LucifersDog, Daniel, Carpathianforest etc.

Thanks for the compliments, go back to bed. 

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Says the guy that didn't show up at all until he had something to come in here and bitch about to stir up the hornets nest. Best not to throw stones, you're quickly approaching the territory of people like LucifersDog, Daniel, Carpathianforest etc.

Please don’t Beetlejuice those dudes back here. :lol:

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Ya so glad we resigned Bratt. Last season others were mentioning that he wasnt worth it lol. Id like to see how the teams plays with some other dmen like nemec though 

Yeah his playoffs definitely left a bad taste in my mouth…he’s found a whole other level.  Serious kudos to him. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I think it’s more so “if you don’t agree you’re wrong!” Around here with a couple people. If you can’t see that the two goalies have looked like dog sh!t most of the games through the start here I don’t know what to tell you. I’m a hockey fan first as much as I love the devils, a team fan second. All I’ve ever said is this goaltending is not going to carry us deep and right away I get attacked with well then tell us who you’d go get, who you’d give up so on and so forth. I’ve never said give up this guy for that guy, I’m not a fvcking gm. All I ever said was what’s going on in goal is not going to be acceptable. Neither of these goalies are going to get us where we want to be. 

I thought Vanecek wasn't spectacular and I wish he found that slow moving 3rd one that bounced off his stick down low. He'll be fine. I agree with CR76 in the sense that Vanny will probably give us more of this as the season goes on but post a respectable .910 again. Average to above average when he gets hot. He gets hot at the right time and it could happen. 

If he could cut down on the weak 5-hole goals that he's tending to allow, he'd be a .920+ goalie. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

i agree. im goin down with this cat. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I thought Vanecek wasn't spectacular and I wish he found that slow moving 3rd one that bounced off his stick down low. He'll be fine. I agree with CR76 in the sense that Vanny will probably give us more of this as the season goes on but post a respectable .910 again. Average to above average when he gets hot. He gets hot at the right time and it could happen. 

Yeah VV is not off to a great start but I think his season will normalize.  Fortunately this team scores enough to allow him some time to find his game (not unlimited of course, but definitely some).

Can we talk about McLeod in the top 6? He doesn't know what to really do in the offensive zone so he just cuts to the net and then plants himself in front. I don't think he cratered the line offensively, but we'll take a look at the numbers too. I think those possession numbers would show Bratt really driving the play on that line, but maybe I'm wrong. 

He kind of gave the Wild nightmares in front of the net and he got that goal tonight because he did that. 

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

Can we talk about McLeod in the top 6? He doesn't know what to really do in the offensive zone so he just cuts to the net and then plants himself in front. I don't think he cratered the line offensively, but we'll take a look at the numbers too. I think those possession numbers would show Bratt really driving the play on that line, but maybe I'm wrong. 

He kind of gave the Wild nightmares in front of the net and he got that goal tonight because he did that. 

So far he has handled the promotion as well as you could hope. He has had some really...nifty outlet moves/dekes too. I just hope he keeps his head up.

Anyway…

Happy for Holtz for finding the net for the 3rd time in five games.

Nice to see Dougie get the clincher, especially since he had some rough moments tonight.

What really sucks about that third goal on VV is that the guy was actually having a mostly good game to that point…he made quite a few big saves tonight.  What felt like an “A-“ kind of game earlier wound up feeling more like a “C+” by the end.  In some ways I feel like he’s in a similar place to Mercer…they both just need to have that one really good game and then they’ll start to get on some kind of roll.  Fortunately the Devils’ early record hasn’t been hurt yet.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

13 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

i was that guy. i think i was preaching 6x6.  always loved him, but the playoffs. that really soured me. 

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah his playoffs definitely left a bad taste in my mouth…he’s found a whole other level.  Serious kudos to him. 

I was right there as well.

Hopefully he can keep some level of this up throughout the season because he played his best hockey last year before thanksgiving.  He became less and less effective as the season went on and the intensity picked up to the point where he became invisible in the playoffs.  

That being said, this does look a bit different this year.   He’s added some physicality and is finally utilizing that shot as much as he should.  

• Like 1

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

So far he has handled the promotion as well as you could hope. He has had some really...nifty outlet moves/dekes too. I just hope he keeps his head up.

Yeah I think he’s done about as well as he can in that role.

Bratt is becoming like Jack, in that the Devils now appear to have TWO players who manage to stubbornly bank points no matter who they’re with on the ice.  That’s a rare and special breed.

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was annoyed with his playoffs too, and I was getting fed up with how difficult the agent was being. Glad Jesper told dude to stop fvcking around and make sure a deal got done; so far, he’s making good on that deal.

2 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I was right there as well.

Hopefully he can keep some level of this up throughout the season because he played his best hockey last year before thanksgiving.  He became less and less effective as the season went on and the intensity picked up to the point where he became invisible in the playoffs.  

That being said, this does look a bit different this year.   He’s added some physicality and is finally utilizing that shot as much as he should.  

He did get off to a terrific start last year, but something about this year just feels so much more…dynamic.  He seems stronger and faster and much more consistently engaged.  I just hope he can keep this up for as much of the season as possible.  This is scary good sh!t.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Bratt is becoming like Jack, in that the Devils now appear to have TWO players who manage to stubbornly bank points no matter who they’re with on the ice.  That’s a rare and special breed.

You could kind of see this coming. Bratt was pretty much the catalyst back when guys like Zacha and Gusev were benefiting from playing with him. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Speaking of Mercer, 9 games without a single point is pretty crazy. Can’t really blame it on not being in the top 6 either. Not when Holtz and others are actually producing. 

Yeah it’s beyond baffling.  Especially with the Devils still managing to rack up so many goals.  Who could’ve predicted that the Devils would average 4.22 GPG but Mercer would be pointless through nine games?!

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

IMG_6541.png

Beautiful sight.  Would love to see them both manage a Top 10 finish.

• Like 1