GDT: Washington @ Devils 7:00 PM MSGSN

MadDog2020

Oh, and this shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone.  Losing Graves and a quick guy like Sevs and replacing them with an old and slow Smith and a mistake-prone rookie in Luke is a fine recipe for terrible defense. 

Marino is awesome, but outside of him he's really the only stay at home defenseman we have. Ball will get there, but he's young and still learning. Dougie is obviously great offensively, but he's slow on defense and makes really bad decisions all of the on two-on-ones that we give up.  Siegs is, well, Siegs.  He's not terrible, but he doesn't do anything particularly well.  

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Oh, and this shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone.  Losing Graves and a quick guy like Sevs and replacing them with an old and slow Smith and a mistake-prone rookie in Luke is a fine recipe for terrible defense. 

Marino is awesome, but outside of him he's really the only stay at home defenseman we have. Ball will get there, but he's young and still learning. Dougie is obviously great offensively, but he's slow on defense and makes really bad decisions all of the on two-on-ones that we give up.  Siegs is, well, Siegs.  He's not terrible, but he doesn't do anything particularly well.  

Fitz needs to get Zadorov. Period, end of story.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, StarDew said:

Sorry. Watched my brother suffer with constant seizures for 2 straight weeks and then die from ravages of Parkinson's. Sucks watching someone take last breath.  Funeral Monday. Very little patience. Will stop posting for night.

So very sorry to hear this. 

My dad has PD and it is horrible. 

Prayers. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

RECKless.  Not “wreckless”.  I know, “grammar/spellcheck police”, but wreckless just looks…annoyingly weird.

re:  the D, did you want Seves (who has obviously limitations) back for 8 years at his hit?  Not me.  I was open to Graves as a short-term stop gap, but Nemec will obviously be up here soon.  Yes, Luke is going to go through some growing pains…shouldn’t this have been expected?  Smith is an issue, but unfortunately Plan A (Miller) so far has yet to materialize.  I do think the D can play better, but I’ll give you that they have to start showing it.  Feels like almost to a man (Smith sadly is what he is), they can ALL be better than what they’ve shown so far this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Fitz needs to get Zadorov. Period, end of story.

Zadorov just asked for a trade after they lost to the Maple Leafs last night. Puts the Flames in a tight spot. 

I didn't think coming into the season we would need another D but the defense has been so bad with little improvement over the last 5 games. I don't think Zadorov is a perfect solution, he won't solve all these problems, but he will provide a shakeup and he'd be an improvement over Smith/Miller. Bringing in Zadorov would signal to the guys in the top 4 that they need to be better or this guy can probably take their job. 

He's big and he plays with a physical edge. Not sure who would go the other way and how we can pay him, but we'll see what Fitz is thinking. I think patience may pay off if we just stand pat too. I'm fine with either move. 

4 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

He's big and he plays with a physical edge. Not sure who would go the other way and how we can pay him, but we'll see what Fitz is thinking. I think patience may pay off if we just stand pat too. I'm fine with either move. 

I can actually see Holtz going the other way possibly. He seems to be caught in a numbers game here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

There was absolutely nothing “wreckless” about that play. Nothing. He wasn’t even skating anywhere close to his full speed. Or “crashing the net.” It was as routine a hockey play as it gets  

Looking at it again, you may be right, but the final angle in that clip definitely seems like he's going very fast, and he wouldn't have damaged his shoulder the way he did if he wasn't going at a high rate of speed. That's just a fact. 

I suppose I'm thinking about many of Jack's plays in aggregate, rather than that specific clip.  I think we all know and have seen Jack sort of have to take it upon himself to make things happen out there, and he's not a big guy by any means, so I guess I'm just a little worried for the future, if his body may take a toll given how he has to play (for now, anyway). 

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I can actually see Holtz going the other way possibly. He seems to be caught in a numbers game here.

He’s caught in the Lindy “I hate you for some reason that I won’t make public so you’re screwed” zone.

Holtz brought energy and effort yesterday, and Ruff rewarded him with a benching.

43 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

RECKless.  Not “wreckless”.  I know, “grammar/spellcheck police”, but wreckless just looks…annoyingly weird.

re:  the D, did you want Seves (who has obviously limitations) back for 8 years at his hit?  Not me.  I was open to Graves as a short-term stop gap, but Nemec will obviously be up here soon.  Yes, Luke is going to go through some growing pains…shouldn’t this have been expected?  Smith is an issue, but unfortunately Plan A (Miller) so far has yet to materialize.  I do think the D can play better, but I’ll give you that they have to start showing it.  Feels like almost to a man (Smith sadly is what he is), they can ALL be better than what they’ve shown so far this season.

It's funny, I'm usually amazing when it comes to spelling and grammar, and I don't even really have to try.  I learned a few years ago that it is indeed reckless the way you spelled it, and when I found that out I was utterly surprised because of how you spell the word "wreck", and I continue to spell the word reckless with a W because of how weird it looks to me the other way lol. But, from now on I'll spell it the correct way just for you :D

Regarding your question about Sevs, no I definitely didn't want him back here if the only way he was returning was on a full 8-year term. Fitz did what he could this offseason and I think we're in a good place. My point was only that it just shouldn't be a surprise to anyone how the D is playing, given what we lost.  If you look at this team as a whole and consider all parts, it's pretty clear the offense is nearly as strong as it gets, and despite people complaining about our goalie situation, I firmly believe that a tandem of ventric and Schmid is capable of leading us to a Cup. The weak point on the team coming into this season, if we had/have one, I think was clearly the Defense. 

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It's funny, I'm usually amazing when it comes to spelling and grammar, and I don't even really have to try.  I learned a few years ago that it is indeed reckless the way you spelled it, and when I found that out I was utterly surprised because of how you spell the word "wreck", and I continue to spell the word reckless with a W because of how weird it looks to me the other way lol. But, from now on I'll spell it the correct way just for you :D

Regarding your question about Sevs, no I definitely didn't want him back here if the only way he was returning was on a full 8-year term. Fitz did what he could this offseason and I think we're in a good place. My point was only that it just shouldn't be a surprise to anyone how the D is playing, given what we lost.  If you look at this team as a whole and consider all parts, it's pretty clear the offense is nearly as strong as it gets, and despite people complaining about our goalie situation, I firmly believe that a tandem of ventric and Schmid is capable of leading us to a Cup. The weak point on the team coming into this season, if we had/have one, I think was clearly the Defense. 

No to Seves, coulda kept Graves but not for his tag length, but the fact Miller went down and hasn’t even seen regular season ice was an unexpected problem.

we knew the defense would regress but should have taken some steps in the right direction. But this obsession with not changing up the bodies, even when we coulda given Foote a look, makes no sense. Not saying he would have been a savior by any means, but outside of Marino and Dougie (maybe even Siegs) one of them could have sat a game to regroup and refocus.

Lindy’s personnel decisions will always astound me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not against it at as long as Zadorov can be re-signed, but then the problem becomes where will there be room for Nemec?  Dougie, Siegs, Marino, Luke, Bahl…unless of course you consider moving Bahl in such a deal.  I would love Zadorov too (feels like he can stabilize things) but he might be more of a “this year” rental…if Fitz does indeed deal Holtz, I’m hoping it’s for someone who will be here at least a couple of seasons.

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not against it at as long as Zadorov can be re-signed, but then the problem becomes where will there be room for Nemec?  Dougie, Siegs, Marino, Luke, Bahl…unless of course you consider moving Bahl in such a deal.  I would love Zadorov too (feels like he can stabilize things) but he might be more of a “this year” rental…if Fitz does indeed deal Holtz, I’m hoping it’s for someone who will be here at least a couple of seasons.

I just want the D stabilized ASAP. Holtz is kind of stuck; it’s a win-win for both sides. As far as Nemec, I’m not worried about blocking him right now. I’ll worry about that next year. 

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

No to Seves, coulda kept Graves but not for his tag length, but the fact Miller went down and hasn’t even seen regular season ice was an unexpected problem.

we knew the defense would regress but should have taken some steps in the right direction. But this obsession with not changing up the bodies, even when we coulda given Foote a look, makes no sense. Not saying he would have been a savior by any means, but outside of Marino and Dougie (maybe even Siegs) one of them could have sat a game to regroup and refocus.

Lindy’s personnel decisions will always astound me.

Yeah Lindy is always going to scare me. Just not an easy guy for me to ever fully trust.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jagknife said:

He’s caught in the Lindy “I hate you for some reason that I won’t make public so you’re screwed” zone.

Holtz brought energy and effort yesterday, and Ruff rewarded him with a benching.

I agree; I don’t get it either. But if he isn’t gonna get a fair shake here, move him for someone that can fill an immediate need.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I just want the D stabilized ASAP. Holtz is kind of stuck; it’s a win-win for both sides. As far as Nemec, I’m not worried about blocking him right now. I’ll worry about that next year. 

The whole Miller situation really blows.  A fine “on paper” move that due to simple bad luck hasn’t worked out at all.

Zadorov’s hit isn’t massive but it’s enough that the Devils will have to send some money the other way.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The whole Miller situation really blows.  A fine “on paper” move that due to simple bad luck hasn’t worked out at all.

Zadorov’s isn’t massive but it’s enough that the Devils will have to send some money the other way.

Holtz, Smith, and a mid round pick. I think that could get it done.

10 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Agree, I think Fitz had a fine offseason.  Unfortunately the D depth at the moment is just shallow enough that Smith wound up getting regular ice-time, and with a rookie at that.  Yeah not ideal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

There was absolutely nothing “wreckless” about that play. Nothing. He wasn’t even skating anywhere close to his full speed. Or “crashing the net.” It was as routine a hockey play as it gets  

Ever since McDavid broke his collar bone his rookie year, I’ve thought they needed to move the goal out another 2 feet or so.   These guys are moving so fast now that there needs to be more room to recover before slamming into the boards 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Holtz, Smith, and a mid round pick. I think that could get it done.

Smith does have some trade appeal because he’s easy to fit under the cap and he’s on an expiring deal.

Yeah it’s basically “Look, we’ll give you Holtz and even a pick, but ya gotta take Smith off our hands.”  

Trading Holtz for a rental, I'll pass.  He needs to play top 6.  For as much sh!t as he's taken the team has not done well by him.  He's got 3 goals in the sh!tty situation he's been in this year.  For as crappy as the D has been, Lindy has been just as bad.  It's a lot easier to coach when you have Nico and Jack out there.  But, the Devils as constructed without those two are not horrible on paper.  Lindy just isn't getting the job done right now.

• Like 1

I’ll go against the grain here and say I’m pretty against trading Holtz for a middling defenseman. Kid is finally starting to look like he might actually pan out. He’s currently 2nd on the team in 5v5 goals (only Toffoli has more), and he actually looks like the most dynamic forward they have some nights, imo. 

People are talking about a numbers game, but the Devils also have both Nemec and Casey on the way. Even if they were able to extend Zadorov there’s about to be more of a logjam on defense than there is at wing. 

• Like 2