Weekes Suggesting Something Happening With Markstrom

smelly

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't see him as a true #1. I don't think he's been a true #1 at any point in his career. 

Since 2018 he’s had 4 seasons where he started at least 70% of the games, and he put up pretty decent numbers in 3 out of the 4 years. 

It wouldn’t be like when we acquired Vanecek who had never even started 50% of the games with Washington. 

If you want to say Markstrom isn’t a true #1 in the sense that the top guys are that’s fair, but I think a guy that can start 60+ games for you and put up above average numbers is basically a #1. 

• Like 1

Folks, we're up against the cap. I realize Dougies LTIR, but, all the others will trickle back in one at a time. Jack, timo, Siegs, Palat. . Markstrom, Elvis etc will totally throw our cap out of whack, unless the teams hold some $$, or $$$ goes out the door.  We are not bringing in a goaltender for over 5 mil. Aint happening. I could see Fitz bring in someone like Riemer (vet, not brutal, steady)  I think we should stay the course. If VV sh>ts the bed, next game, Fitz might waive him & send him down. (he IS now holder of the worst GA in the league. In no way is he making the saves he made last year. He's not giving us league average goaltending. Look what happened with Raanta, Campbell. Please no Halak. We all know VV's untradeable.

23 minutes ago, vincois said:

Folks, we're up against the cap. I realize Dougies LTIR, but, all the others will trickle back in one at a time. Jack, timo, Siegs, Palat. . Markstrom, Elvis etc will totally throw our cap out of whack, unless the teams hold some $$, or $$$ goes out the door.  We are not bringing in a goaltender for over 5 mil. Aint happening. I could see Fitz bring in someone like Riemer (vet, not brutal, steady)  I think we should stay the course. If VV sh>ts the bed, next game, Fitz might waive him & send him down. (he IS now holder of the worst GA in the league. In no way is he making the saves he made last year. He's not giving us league average goaltending. Look what happened with Raanta, Campbell. Please no Halak. We all know VV's untradeable.

I don't think anything is going to happen anytime soon either but if it did VV would have to go the other way regardless. His 3.4M needs to be moved for any goalie, which means NJ would just need to give that much more for it to happen.

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't think anything is going to happen anytime soon either but if it did VV would have to go the other way regardless. His 3.4M needs to be moved for any goalie, which means NJ would just need to give that much more for it to happen.

As far as “giving that much more” goes, I can live with that price being a first-round pick.  Much more so than Casey, who I’m sure every GM is going to try to pry away from the Devils.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As far as “giving that much more” goes, I can live with that price being a first-round pick.  Much more so than Casey, who I’m sure every GM is going to try to pry away from the Devils.  

Agreed and if a deal were easy Fitz would have done it by now.  Another team in the league that is hurting for a goalie is in our division and I am not sure they would take a chance on VV for "future considerations" and Fitz is realistically bidding against them in any potential deal. Best case scenario with VV is that NJ avoids having to pay to get rid of a negative asset-- Fitz gets VV to agree to a contract termination(not gonna happen) or moves for a BO and we are effectively left with an extension on the Schneider penalty. Every GM knows that CAR and NJ are desperate to solve their issues in net so the asking price is probably unrealistic right now.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

It sounds like it’s going to take significant roster players such as Dawson Mercer or Simon Nemec — plus more — in a potential trade in order to retrieve Markstrom.

Mercer or Nemec plus more??

image.gif.82ce763ae5f9f30e14a1109418dbcd72.gif

I wouldn’t even trade either of those guys straight up for Markstrom, let alone “plus more.” 

Silly stuff. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It sounds like it’s going to take significant roster players such as Dawson Mercer or Simon Nemec — plus more — in a potential trade in order to retrieve Markstrom.

Mercer or Nemec plus more??

image.gif.82ce763ae5f9f30e14a1109418dbcd72.gif

I wouldn’t even trade either of those guys straight up for Markstrom, let alone “plus more.” 

Silly stuff. 

My thoughts exactly. Rather just wait it out and see if it pays off. 

Other teams are hungry for our youth and we must not give it to them. 

I think any mention of the young guns like Mercer, LHughes, Nemec, or even Holtzy should be asked politely yet firmly to leave. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Considering age, salary, etc, there’s not a single player on Calgarys roster that gets Nemec 

Nemec is untouchable regardless what team we’re talking about as far as I’m concerned. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Nemec is untouchable regardless what team we’re talking about as far as I’m concerned. 

Yeah Nemec is as untouchable as it gets. There isn’t anyone I’d realistically trade him for. 

• Like 2

Seems like Merzlikins really wants out of Columbus. I would be so tempted to buy low on him. You're kind of stuck with him for a few years if he doesn't work out. But something gives me the idea that he's someone who would really benefit from a change of scenery. He was just so good every single year (albeit sometimes in lesser leagues) up until a couple seasons ago. Ultimately probably not worth the risk, but he's absolutely an upgrade over Vanecek, so I would definitely think about it for a while.

19 minutes ago, nessus said:

Seems like Merzlikins really wants out of Columbus. I would be so tempted to buy low on him. You're kind of stuck with him for a few years if he doesn't work out. But something gives me the idea that he's someone who would really benefit from a change of scenery. He was just so good every single year (albeit sometimes in lesser leagues) up until a couple seasons ago. Ultimately probably not worth the risk, but he's absolutely an upgrade over Vanecek, so I would definitely think about it for a while.

If CBJ take VV going back, I’d roll the dice in the hopes he a) figures it out here, b) the cap rises as expected and his hit can possibly be moved again if needed

I'm beginning to think Fitz isn't going to trade for a goalie. Let VV & Daws handle for now unless Schmid takes a big leap fw. We all know how much better this team would be with Jack in the line up, Dougie on PP & Palat back in top 9, wherever.  Hopefully not too little too late. This team as is can still keep us in the mix til everyone trickles back in.

34 minutes ago, vincois said:

I'm beginning to think Fitz isn't going to trade for a goalie. Let VV & Daws handle for now unless Schmid takes a big leap fw. We all know how much better this team would be with Jack in the line up, Dougie on PP & Palat back in top 9, wherever.  Hopefully not too little too late. This team as is can still keep us in the mix til everyone trickles back in.

I don't think that Fitz isn't open to the idea of dealing for a goalie, but I don't think he's that enamored with what's available, and just as importantly, I don't think he likes the prices that teams are currently asking (along with the cap hits that come with these goalies).  There's a reason all of these "in play" candidates still haven't been moved, even with multiple teams looking for upgrades.

One thing we've learned about Fitz:  he does NOT do "desperation moves".  Maybe if there's a season down the line where the Devils look like a legit Cup contender, and Jack gets hurt, maybe then he makes an absolute "Right now" trade, but I think if asked, he'd say "Look at our record in VV's games; is someone else necessarily going to improve on that so much that I need for give up an important asset or two for someone who might be pretty good?"

If the Devils were losing more, maybe he'd be more inclined to make a real move, but in the last 27 games, the Devils have been banking points at a 103-point pace.  So he probably feels like he can wait out the market some, see if prices come down, potentially get a trade partner to take back VV in any goalie trade, etc.

• Like 3