Fitz extended to multi-year deal

Nicomo

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I'm not surprised...I know that this has been a trying year at times, and the lack of media presence can be frustrating (especially when obvious issues don't appear to be being addressed), but I still believe in him.  Not all of his moves have paid immediate dividends, but sometimes they take time to work out as hoped.

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm not surprised...I know that this has been a trying year at times, and the lack of media presence can be frustrating (especially when obvious issues don't appear to be being addressed), but I still believe in him.  Not all of his moves have paid immediate dividends, but sometimes they take time to work out as hoped.

Agreed, not every GM is going to bat 1.000. Not every move is going to rock.

We’ve all talked about it on this board before how the instant Information age has created this desire from us fans for answers when 20-30 years ago we’d read the paper and bitch to our friends at work, the bar, school, etc

i want him to be challenged with questions on Ruff but otherwise I’m happy with how he’s been as the GM

• Like 3

Just now, jagknife said:

Agreed, not every GM is going to bat 1.000. Not every move is going to rock.

We’ve all talked about it on this board before how the instant Information age has created this desire from us fans for answers when 20-30 years ago we’d read the paper and bitch to our friends at work, the bar, school, etc

i want him to be challenged with questions on Ruff but otherwise I’m happy with how he’s been as the GM

Obviously I agree with the bolded.  Fitz has made a LOT of good moves and has assembled a nice array of talent...and locked some of it up to very team-friendly deals.  And we've seen this group play a lot better than it is right now.

The best thing out of Fitz getting this extension (AND promotion) is that he might now have more power to let Ruff go, even though he extended him prior to the season.  The only worse thing than making a mistake is doubling down on it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Compared to my other GM’s yes Fitz is up there with anyone since prime Lou so far (granted there isn’t a long illustrious list between the Mets, the Jets and Shero here), but now we’re coming up on a crossroads where is he going to be Joe Douglas and punt a season that doesn’t need to be punted or not?

Edited by NJDevs4978

9 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Compared to my other GM’s yes Fitz is up there with anyone since prime Lou (granted there isn’t a long illustrious list between the Mets, the Jets and Shero here), but now we’re coming up on a crossroads where is he going to be Joe Douglas and punt a season that doesn’t need to be punted or not?

He can't punt this season...there's no reason to, especially since guys will be coming back...no one is out for the year.  

FWIW, the Devils are 16-9-2 in their last 27 (though only 3-4-1 in their last 8).  As far as the standings go, they are not in bad shape, even though it doesn't always feel that way.  As ragged as the games have often looked, the results have allowed Fitz to be a little more patient than we (the fans) are willing to be.

But to me, the big decisions he will need to make soon:  is Ruff really a guy who's earned this long of a leash, and how long are you going to keep hoping the Devils can keep winning so many of VV's starts?  Because yes, the outcome of this season is resting on those decisions.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

The Tomfather is absolutely cringe though, social media doesn't always have to be so try hard. Grow up.

Yeah, not EVERYTHING is begging to get the "fetch" treatment.

At least they didn't call him TFitz.  But that might have been less cringeworthy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Yup lol...

To that, he'd BETTER take questions not related to the extension.  Should come with the job.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

The Tomfather is absolutely cringe though, social media doesn't always have to be so try hard. Grow up.

I read it and thought the same. The "TomFather" doesn't even work, sounds stupid.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He better be ready to talk about Lindy. A lot.

If Lindy’s on the hot seat, I don’t expect Fitz to come right out and say that.

But I do absolutely expect someone to ask some form of “Are you happy with the job that your coaching staff has done with this year’s team?”  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

But I do absolutely expect someone to ask some form of “Are you happy with the job that your coaching staff has done with this year’s team?”  

Hope Novo brings his A game 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I expect it to be nothing but the typical politics and soundbites that will make no one happy. That is why I think it's pointless to complain that Fitz hasn't said anything... Because he's not going to say what they/we want to hear anyway. I expect to hear "Lindy is the guy pt2 electric bugaloo" if he addresses it at all, regardless of what the truth might be.

I love it!  Fitz has done a great job so far and in a field that's just loaded with retreads, he's one of the best GMs in the league, IMO.  Very few others seem to handle all portions of the job as well as he does.  Contracts/cap management generally look good, trades all make sense and are good value and we have a nice drafting and development program going on.  I also feel like he's good at assembling a team, as opposed to just trying to get the best individual parts like the Rags and Leafs typically do.      

This season has been frustrating but the injuries are what they are.   Obviously the goaltending situation has blown up in his face but I thought it was the right move to go into the season with the combo of last seasons 30 game winner and a young guy who won us a playoff series.  We needed to see more of both before going outside the organization and giving up assets and cap space.  In the half year since, things have obviously taken a turn for the worse and solving the goaltending issue will be his biggest challenge going forward. 

I'm not going to go crazy about the coach.   I think all coaches have a shelf life and Lindy's seemed to expire somewhere in the last two months but maybe he's targeting someone who's not yet available.   I'm of two minds here. I do wish there was some type of move made that would suggest that the organization isn't content to take a mulligan on this season.   Moving on from Lindy (and VV) seem like easy enough moves to do to send that message.   On the other hand, not constantly having an itchy trigger finger will help attract the best possible hire when the time comes.  

Anyway, I'm glad we got him locked up.   

• Like 6

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I expect it to be nothing but the typical politics and soundbites that will make no one happy. That is why I think it's pointless to complain that Fitz hasn't said anything... Because he's not going to say what they/we want to hear anyway. I expect to hear "Lindy is the guy pt2 electric bugaloo" if he addresses it at all, regardless of what the truth might be.

Yeah GMs usually don’t make for great interviews until AFTER something’s happened, though every now and then someone will break ranks.

And of course there’s the GM handbook standby:

“We’re always looking to make our team better.  If there’s a move out there that can improve our team and makes sense for our club, we’ll explore it.”

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah GMs usually don’t make for great interviews until AFTER something’s happened, though every now and then someone will break ranks.

And of course there’s the GM handbook standby:

“We’re always looking to make our team better.  If there’s a move out there that can improve our team and makes sense for our club, we’ll explore it.”

I fully expect FItz to give us that when asked about possible trades. 

• Like 1

@Lateralous well said, pretty much agree with all of it.  Fitz was a “only a matter of time” guy as far as getting a chance to become a GM goes, and he would get another chance tomorrow if he was let go today.  Devils absolutely should stay the course with him.  He’s young in GM years and I would like to see him try to finish it off here.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

I fully expect FItz to give us that when asked about possible trades. 

Pretty much every GM does that.  They rarely tip their hand…they might hint at something, but only just enough so that you can try to read between the lines.