NHL Draft 2024

Chimaira_Devil_#9

2 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

What is the deal with the Devs being slotted 10th when Calgary and Seattle have the same amount of points?

What's the next criteria for draft order?

Regulation wins.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Thanks

Ok that explains Seattle

Devs and Calgary both 38-39-5

Calgary is 9

33 regulation wins for the Devils, 32 for Calgary

Just now, vincois said:

Been watching Canada/Czechia, Mr. Iginla looks pretty darn good. Wonder if he'll be there when we pick

Things can obviously change in a hurry, but he’s projected to go right around where we pick. I’ve seen several mocks with him to the Sabres the pick right after the Devils. 

He’s definitely who I want the most at the moment. His dad was one of my favorite non-Devil players ever. 

• Like 3

On 4/26/2024 at 1:05 PM, Nicomo said:

Things can obviously change in a hurry, but he’s projected to go right around where we pick. I’ve seen several mocks with him to the Sabres the pick right after the Devils. 

He’s definitely who I want the most at the moment. His dad was one of my favorite non-Devil players ever. 

Same. Gimme one Iginla please 

• Like 2

I like Tij Iginla a lot, but with Calgary picking right before the Devils, is there any way they would pass on him? I'm starting to like Brandsegg-Nygard for the Devils' pick. I could see him shooting up the rankings if he has a good world championship tournament.

If Zeev Buium is available when the Devils pick, I think you have to take him, even if he is somewhat redundant in our system. More high quality assets are always better.

• Like 2

If the pick is used I hope our guys are copying their homework from Dallas' crew but of all the recent drafts this is most likely to be the one where NJ trades the pick before using it if Fitz is really out turning over rocks like he says. Maybe the tank was all part of Fitz's plan to not give SJ the second first rounder for Timo lul 🧠.

EDIT: does anyone know the odds of NJ staying in the top 10 vs getting bumped to 11?

Edited by NJDevils1214

5 hours ago, nessus said:

If Zeev Buium is available when the Devils pick, I think you have to take him, even if he is somewhat redundant in our system. More high quality assets are always better.

It was pretty funny when this kid dropped an F-bomb on live tv after winning the national championship. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Unless they win the lotto there is absolutely no way they should use this pick for a prospect, right?

No way a kid picked at 10A will help this current core in the next 2-3 seasons...?

Yeah one would think. Even if we win the lottery, I’m not against trading the pick in the right deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Unless they win the lotto there is absolutely no way they should use this pick for a prospect, right?

No way a kid picked at 10A will help this current core in the next 2-3 seasons...?

In a strong draft like this one, that top 10 pick is worth a lot. If they get a player for the pick, it better be a very good one. And I'm getting less inclined to use it on a lot of the goalie targets that have been suggested in the media.

I would definitely use the pick, possibly as part of a trade package, for a goaltending prospect that is on the brink of breaking into the NHL. Askarov, Dustin Wolf, and Wallstedt would be some options.

A cool potential scenario is if Calgary gets to pick #9 with a player they really like (e.g. Buium, Dickinson, Catton, etc.), but also want Tij Iginla. I would be willing to trade them #10 overall for Dustin Wolf so they could have both.

If it's for Ullmark, I think I would rather just keep the pick, and find cheaper goaltending help elsewhere. A player like Brandsegg-Nygard could help the team quicker than most would think. And if not him, imagine a defense made up of Hamilton, Nemec, Luke, Marino, Seamus Casey, and one of Buium/Dickinson/Silayev from this draft. A good system and even average goaltending would be all you need.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The pick should be traded...but if not...I want

I just can’t see him getting to us with Calgary picking right in front of us.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I just can’t see him getting to us with Calgary picking right in front of us.

Yep. Once the order was locked in with Calgary the pick right before us I gave up on my Iginla to NJ hopes. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yep. Once the order was locked in with Calgary the pick right before us I gave up on my Iginla to NJ hopes. 

I'd take him in a heartbeat if he was available, otherwise so far I'm leaning towards the Norwegian fella

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

I'd take him in a heartbeat if he was available, otherwise so far I'm leaning towards the Norwegian fella

Norwegian fella, Denver fella, or Finnish fella for me. Wait until the world championship is over, and the highlights start coming out. Hard not to be hyped about Brandsegg-Nygard.

Like I said, the 10th overall + to Nashville for Varoslav Askorov. 

Saros is one of the best goalies in hockey and has a lot of years left, so Nashville should try and get what they can for a top prospect who is NEVER going to a full time goalie for them. 

9 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Like I said, the 10th overall + to Nashville for Varoslav Askorov. 

Saros is one of the best goalies in hockey and has a lot of years left, so Nashville should try and get what they can for a top prospect who is NEVER going to a full time goalie for them. 

Nice dream but issue is Askorov isn't ready for NHL minutes. Consensus seems to be he's still 2-3 years out.