GDT: St Paddys day 3:30 pm Edition: Devils @ Vegas bling knights

DevilMinder

I hope we lose every game the rest of the way. 1) it’ll eliminate any delusions Fitzgerald may have of keeping Green, and 2) improve our draft position for a meaningful trade. 3) fvck these losers

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Luke slow at the end there.  I'm sure he was gassed, but he looked lethargic.  He's had a bad season. Needs to prove this was an anomaly this year and some back strong next season.

I have been very disappointed with him this season. I get he’s taking on more minutes and tough assignments that he really shouldn’t be getting at this stage of his career, but he’s making the same mistakes he made in October.

And the lethargy has to go from his game. It must be a result of him being able to out-skate everyone at every level, but in this league you will get punished for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devs64 said:

Well, I was wrong.

The only thing I'm worried about now is the team's mental health. How much more sh!t can you take every night? fvck you Fitz and Lindy.

fvck them too, they've had a big hand in creating this mess themselves.  Let them fix it - players, Fitz...all of them.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, devlman said:

I have been very disappointed with him this season. I get he’s taking on more minutes and tough assignments that he really shouldn’t be getting at this stage of his career, but he’s making the same mistakes he made in October.

And the lethargy has to go from his game. It must be a result of him being able to out-skate everyone at every level, but in this league you will get punished for it.

Is he supposed to coach himself? When a guy like Marino even takes a massive step back under these coaches I don’t know what people expect out of a rookie. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Is he supposed to coach himself? When a guy like Marino even takes a massive step back under these coaches I don’t know what people expect out of a rookie. 

When you don't punish or discipline him at all, nothing.  Part of learning is holding guys accountable.  Other than Holtz and Timo for one game, this staff (and really the whole organization) has only held one fvcking fourth liner who is going to be traded this offseason accountable.  Real gutless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

No doubt. I hate that he was thrown to the wolves and relied upon to run the first powerplay on a team expected to make playoffs. He’s been put in positions to fail and not learn from his mistakes. And that’s on coaching/fitz.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, devlman said:

No doubt. I hate that he was thrown to the wolves and relied upon to run the first powerplay on a team expected to make playoffs. He’s been put in positions to fail and not learn from his mistakes. And that’s on coaching/fitz.

And the worst part is the genius twins of Ruff/Green had Luke QB’ing PP1 even before Dougie went out. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, devlman said:

I know I’m repeating myself, but I really wish Green would swap Luke and Nemec on the PP.  While the latter is also young, he’s clearly benefited from playing professionally in the AHL and Slovakia and seems not to have picked up the bad habits of his counterpart.  Of course, he’s also been around this inept coaching staff for a shorter time than Luke, so perhaps their influence hasn’t yet rubbed off on him.  Here’s hoping it never does.

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

And the worst part is the genius twins of Ruff/Green had Luke QB’ing PP1 even before Dougie went out. 

I never understood that.  While Luke is certainly the future, Dougie was more than effective driving the PP last season.  Why mess with a good thing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

The Marino thing in my opinion is less excusable and more on him than it is the coaches. Reason I say that is because Marino's older and he's been coached by others in the past, so he knows or should know, how to play his best game and what works for him.  Sure, sometimes you have to listen to specific coaches, but his regression I hold more on him as a player than anything else.  He has to be accountable for his own play. 

Luke on the other hand, he's so young and this is his first foray into the NHL, so he gets a lot more leeway. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The Marino thing in my opinion is less excusable and more on him than it is the coaches. Reason I say that is because Marino's older and he's been coached by others in the past, so he knows or should know, how to play his best game and what works for him.  Sure, sometimes you have to listen to specific coaches, but his regression I hold more on him as a player than anything else.  He has to be accountable for his own play. 

Luke on the other hand, he's so young and this is his first foray into the NHL, so he gets a lot more leeway. 

It’s absolutely true that a veteran like Marino should understand how to play his best, but remember that he doesn’t play in a vacuum.  If the defenseman with whom he’s paired—Luke, for instance—has picked up bad habits because of inept coaching, it’s plausible he may be trying to do things beyond his capabilities or comfort zone to compensate.  That doesn’t explain the trio of massive brain farts he ripped during the third period this afternoon, as those were entirely on him, but it might account for his season-long regression.  We’ll know for sure starting next autumn, when someone else is bound to be in charge of the defense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Fair, but at the end of the day these players have to play the system the coaches implement (or lack thereof). I know Brunnette’s PP was nothing to write home about last season, but as an “associate coach” he probably had a big hand in that. He sure has the a much lunch talented Preds team playing well. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Who exactly are you referring to and asking for? A physical forward who crashes the net?  They got that in Meier.  Or, do you mean just a physical body who will check anything that moves?  They got that in MacDermid.  

I don't really understand who else or what else you think they're gonna bring in. Big physical players don't exactly grow on trees. 

Maybe I should've said big and/or physical players.  If a guy is 6' 3" even if he's not that physical he at least takes up more space and can defend and control pucks easier just because of his reach and if he's somewhat physical-even more of an advantage over smaller guys.  All the good teams have bigger players than the Devils.  They need to add some guys like:  Geekie, Nick Roy, Hathaway, Poehling, Foegle, Ryan McLeod, etc etc.  Those are some reasonably priced options.  Fitz has to target some bigger players on other rosters and go after them.  Upgrade from Haula, Palat, Tierney. etc.  I think there's going to be a lot of changes for the forwards this off season. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Have Another Donut said:

Upgrade from Haula, Palat, Tierney. etc.  I think there's going to be a lot of changes for the forwards this off season. 

How are they going to upgrade from Palat. He has 3 years left on his (terrible) deal. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

How are they going to upgrade from Palat. He has 3 years left on his (terrible) deal. 

Pay futures to get someone else to take him is the only option and it's not worth it. He's useful in the playoffs but you gotta get there.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Can only imagine he’s going to continue to decline in the coming years, how depressing. 

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Can only imagine he’s going to continue to decline in the coming years, how depressing. 

Yeah Tampa knew when to get out.  Palat’s had moments here, but his best days are clearly behind him.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah Tampa knew when to get out.  Palat’s had moments here, but his best days are clearly behind him.

Semi-related, but that’s another reason why I’m glad Toffoli’s gone.  Apart from the fact that he didn’t fit, he’ll be 32 by the time next season starts.  I don’t want to think about what his decline would have looked like.

• Like 1