2024 Offseason Thread - It’s FINALLY here

Let’s worry about Luke and Simon becoming good first, because, even though all signs point up, there is no guarantee that they will work out, especially with this highly questionable organization.

53 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Let’s worry about Luke and Simon becoming good first, because, even though all signs point up, there is no guarantee that they will work out, especially with this highly questionable organization.

Trust me when I say I'm as cynical as anyone here on this forum after this past dumpster fire of a season, but I think Luke and Nemec are about as close to sure things as you can get when it comes to prospects.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Luke and Simon will be fine.  Even if things don’t workout for them as Devils, they will get traded and have solid careers elsewhere, like Zacha and Sharongovich.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Trust me when I say I'm as cynical as anyone here on this forum after this past dumpster fire of a season, but I think Luke and Nemec are about as close to sure things as you can get when it comes to prospects.

They both showed they have the goods this season. Just need the right coach, and the right pieces around them now. 

1 hour ago, Puckbuster said:

Luke and Simon will be fine.  Even if things don’t workout for them as Devils, they will get traded and have solid careers elsewhere, like Zacha and Sharongovich.

image.gif.f5459463da6e839355691ae2946be422.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Agreed.  I don’t know how the narrative that they’re bad defensemen got started, but it wasn’t supported by what I saw from them this past season.  Both had growing pains, but that was to be expected.

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

They both showed they have the goods this season. Just need the right coach, and the right pieces around them now. 

Even Fitz isn’t stupid enough to trade either of them.  Any GM asking if they’re available deserves to be hung up on.

• Like 2

Mercer. IMO Bridge contract 4 mil (2 years) 2 mil AAV. It's a show me contract like Devils did with Bratt. That is if Mercer's not traded. Who would be a comparable salary. He's not a top 6. Decent 3rd liner

15 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Agreed.  I don’t know how the narrative that they’re bad defensemen got started, but it wasn’t supported by what I saw from them this past season.  Both had growing pains, but that was to be expected.

Even Fitz isn’t stupid enough to trade either of them.  Any GM asking if they’re available deserves to be hung up on.

I was being cynical towards the organization’s ability to develop players to their full potential.  Fitz’s comments at the end of the season were eye opening, especially the one about the players that play hockey vs hockey players.

The sole purpose of Ruff getting the job was his ability to develop players and I think that it was a major failure.

15 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I did, but it was my cynicism.  Unless they get the right coach the Devils will continue to struggle developing players.  I know that players like Luke and Simon can still play well, just like Jack, Nico, Bratt and Timo, because they are that good.  However, I think the Devils struggle to get the most out of their players unless they are a top three pick, with the exception of Bratt.

4 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I was being cynical towards the organization’s ability to develop players to their full potential.  Fitz’s comments at the end of the season were eye opening, especially the one about the players that play hockey vs hockey players.

The sole purpose of Ruff getting the job was his ability to develop players and I think that it was a major failure.

No argument there, but I wouldn’t write off the futures of Luke or Simon until they’ve played at least three seasons.  It took Nico, Jesper, and Jack some time to settle into their roles, and defenseman typically has a steeper learning curve than wing or center.

Edited by ButlerBulldog
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I am not a Lindy fan by any stretch, but young players did grow and develop under his watch, Jack and Bratt being chief among them. So I wouldn’t say ‘major failure’. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I am not a Lindy fan by any stretch, but young players did grow and develop under his watch, Jack and Bratt being chief among them. So I wouldn’t say ‘major failure’. 

You could make the argument that their game grew in spite of him

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

You could make the argument that their game grew in spite of him

You could, but that would be unfair. Lindy wasn’t a good coach but I’m not gonna sit here and say the guy did NOTHING good. 

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

You could, but that would be unfair. Lindy wasn’t a good coach but I’m not gonna sit here and say the guy did NOTHING good. 

Let's agree to disagree. Not many of us were saying this after last years success, & a good pre season.  How does a coach go from an epic season,(22/23) a system that apparently "worked" last year.  This year his "system sucked?  Yet, he becomes a sh>tty coach in 5 months? He had a pretty young group last year, no?  Devil fans don't put any blame/responsability on players? The coach didn't have them "prepared"?  Deboer was fired a couple times-He's a good coach-Hynes MCllan, Hakstoll, (N)Єverson Berube all got fired (& many more) Are they all lousy coaches?  I wish Lindy all the success. Steps off the soapbox 

28 minutes ago, vincois said:

Let's agree to disagree. Not many of us were saying this after last years success, & a good pre season.  How does a coach go from an epic season,(22/23) a system that apparently "worked" last year.  This year his "system sucked?  Yet, he becomes a sh>tty coach in 5 months? He had a pretty young group last year, no?  Devil fans don't put any blame/responsability on players? The coach didn't have them "prepared"?  Deboer was fired a couple times-He's a good coach-Hynes MCllan, Hakstoll, (N)Єverson Berube all got fired (& many more) Are they all lousy coaches?  I wish Lindy all the success. Steps off the soapbox 

Okay fine, agree to disagree. I mean, Jack liked the guy for a reason; I doubt the reason was because Lindy just let guys do whatever the fvck. Pretty sure he brought SOMETHING to the table with player development. 

Berube had half a season and won a Stanley Cup, quite remarkable. However, not sure why everyone on this board somehow thinks Berube is the second coming of hockey's version of Vince Lombardi. Guys gotta tone it down a bit.

I encourage you to look at a larger body of work, in different contexts where a coach was successful multiple times. 

2 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

Berube had half a season and won a Stanley Cup, quite remarkable. However, not sure why everyone on this board somehow thinks Berube is the second coming of hockey's version of Vince Lombardi. Guys gotta tone it down a bit.

I encourage you to look at a larger body of work, in different contexts where a coach was successful multiple times. 

No one is putting him into the realm of Bowman, Lemaire, etc.

but people are looking at that half season where he turned a bottom feeding due to under performance team into a literal champion.

he checks a lot of boxes this team desperately needs: accountability and discipline, isn’t immediately a players coach (this team has had too many of them, they need to tighten it up, something even Fitz admitted) and he will make them play gritty.

this team didn’t adjust when speed alone wasn’t working last year, they got suffocated by any team that could clog the neutral zone. By also adding a grit aspect to their game, which suits a player like Timo, they will have a level of dynamism that leads to post season success.

it doesn’t have to be Berube for me, but it needs to be someone who will crack the whip when needed and also not be afraid to hurt some feelings on occasion for the better of the organization.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

Don’t try to continue a debate or force a narrative that no one started.  Like jag just said, no one is equating him to any all-time coaches.  But he does check off a lot of boxes and he seems like a good fit.  At any rate I’ll happily take him over Green.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

Who should we hire then?