2024 Offseason Thread - It’s FINALLY here

Posted (edited)

I have a feeling Fitz goes for Woodcroft or Keefe. I don't think he hires Berube. Fitz probably wants a "player's coach" who says he's going to hold people accountable but isn't a throwback hard ass like Berube. 

Ultimately , I think the analytics geeks will steer Fitz into hiring Woodcroft. With this franchise, they have a tremendous amount of influence. 

Edited by slasher72

I see no fascination at all with Berube. He's done nothing. Joined a stacked Blues that was carried to the cup by a goalie who has never come close to being that good again. And ironically, Berubes playoff winning % is under.500 with a Stanley cup. Who has a higher one? Travis Greene. Not advocating for Greene obviously but Berube is clearly over hyped for accomplishing well nothing outside of one fluky year

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, smelly said:

Nothing definitive. I know that they love Woody. 

And Fitz listens to the analytics geeks like it's the gospel truth. The minute I heard Woodcroft was a numbers geek himself, that was it. This franchise isn't about to hire a throwback disciplinarian. Not their style. Fitz wants a player's coach who meshes with the guys and listens to everything the geeks tell them. He wants Lindy 2.0 but more analytical, and someone who isn't just focused on developing youth.

Edited by slasher72
  • Vomiting 2

1 hour ago, Muevelos said:

I see no fascination at all with Berube. He's done nothing. Joined a stacked Blues that was carried to the cup by a goalie who has never come close to being that good again. And ironically, Berubes playoff winning % is under.500 with a Stanley cup. Who has a higher one? Travis Greene. Not advocating for Greene obviously but Berube is clearly over hyped for accomplishing well nothing outside of one fluky year

A “stacked Blues team” that was DEAD LAST in the league when Berube took over halfway through that season. If he’s not your preferred choice fine, but I don’t really understand the need to downplay what he did. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

A “stacked Blues team” that was DEAD LAST in the league when Berube took over halfway through that season. If he’s not your preferred choice fine, but I don’t really understand the need to downplay what he did. 

Not saying he is a bad coach but there's nothing saying he is a good coach. He inherited a stacked talented team that had plus .620 winning percentages in the prior seasons rode by binnington playing a god. He has done abysmal since. If we are talking numbers, Travis Greene is a superior coach in every facet as every number is better minus the anomaly. Berube is also not liked by his St Louis players it appears. He isnt my choice, his playoff record is a abysmal, we need much more than he can provide which basically isn't anything

Let’s be fair, this team, when employed to their actual strengths instead of a stubborn old guckhead telling guys what their skills are, is highly skilled. Yes they have holes, but we aren’t a team devoid of talent

None of our players have the ego of the Core 4 and actually give a sh!t about their teammates in Toronto so Keefe is probably my number 2 behind Berube. The unlikely scenario of Sullivan had him being 3. Then woodcroft, then McClellan.

but I’m not an analytics nerd so Fitz would never listen to me.…. That and me not being part of the organization.

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

“He isn’t liked by his players” is such a weak argument. People said the same thing about Pat Burns. 

You wanna pick and choose, sure, that's you. A sub .500 playoff record isn't a weak argument though

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

So who would you rather hire?

Honestly I'd wanna see Woodcroft. BB would be nice, even Keefe. But when Keefe talked I got the impression he may not want to coach right away. But he was made the organizations scapegoat. Sullivan or BRod alternate reality though BRod clearly has issues making adjustments and always falls flat in the playoffs

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Muevelos said:

You wanna pick and choose, sure, that's you. A sub .500 playoff record isn't a weak argument though

Nearly every available coach out there has a sub .500 playoff record except Gerard Gallant. And he’d be about my last choice. 

Sheldon Keefe - .432

Craig Berube - .466

Jay Woodcroft - .500 (*2 seasons)

Todd McLellan - .477

Gerard Gallant - .517 

Bruce Boudreau - .478

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Nearly every available coach out there has a sub .500 playoff record except Gerard Gallant. And he’d be about my last choice. 

Sheldon Keefe - .432

Craig Berube - .466

Jay Woodcroft - .500 (*3 seasons)

Todd McLellan - .477

Gerard Gallant - .517 

Bruce Boudreau - .478

I agree with you there, Todd and BB( Although I'd take him ) have historically had issues getting anything in the playoffs at all. Gallant seems to have character issues that the league finally realized is a problem. Keefe was a scapegoat for the Leafs, though he did under deliver and hopefully today Shanahan steps down from the leafs before anything can really happen there. 

Am I alone in not wanting Keefe? 

Maybe I'm over-valuing the whole 'needing a hardass to hold these kids accountable' thing.  But another players' coach was not what I was hoping for.

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Maybe I'm over-valuing the whole 'needing a hardass to hold these kids accountable' thing.  But another players' coach was not what I was hoping for.

He seems to get the most out of his young players and has a great coaching record, that's all I care about. He seems like a no-BS kinda guy 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

He’s not my first choice, but I would take him over Woodcroft or McLellan. Berube and Sullivan are still my top two.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Yeah, the accountability thing was an issue but that was more because of the inconsistency in how it was or wasn't applied.   

I thought our problem was more a lack of structure.  Not so sure we need a hard ass to hold players accountable as much as we need someone who can convey to them where to be on the ice and what we're trying to accomplish.   Too many times last season if felt like our guys were completely lost out there, especially in the defensive zone.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Yeah, the accountability thing was an issue but that was more because of the inconsistency in how it was or wasn't applied.   

I thought our problem was more a lack of structure.  Not so sure we need a hard ass to hold players accountable as much as we need someone who can convey to them where to be on the ice and what we're trying to accomplish.   Too many times last season if felt like our guys were completely lost out there, especially in the defensive zone.   

Fitz specifically mentioned players not doing enough in the weight room. So it wasn’t just the system. I think there was a lot of guys just doing their own thing under grandpa Lindy. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 2