Game Thread: Njd@nyr

Weekes Head

this is the %$#%@&^^%#$ crap i'm tlaking about!

all you people 'happy' with the team are totally misguided.

frickin' 0 for 4 on the PP AGAIN!!

one PP goal and they win this game

a full 2 minute 5 on 3!?!?!!?!?

Bejeezus!!! Pando, Turner, White on the PP? No friggin wonder!!!

they are now 2 for 54 on the road on the PP.

2 for 54

14 straigh games without a PP goal

I don't care if this team wins the next 50 games in a row, if they don'rt make a trade for a scorer to score on the PP, this team is out in the 1st round AND again, I reiterate, this team is acarbon copy of the teams from '96-'99

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BF agree, agree, agree, agree about 5 on 3, about 5 on 4, about 1st round and their out, been saying the same all season. No offense on this team, no scorers, when the Madden line with Pando is the best offensive line you know this is a weak Playoff team..

But they are in FIRST Place just like other years and then out in first round.

Oh well, they are the Devils.

Have a merry.

damn, this team needs a finisher so bad....

Yes this by the seat of your pants performances will fly during the regular season, but it just isnt going to cut it in the playoffs.

But I dont think that letting go Brian Rafalski, who was our best Dman tonight, for some scoring help is going to really net positive gains....

Yep, one power-play goal makes the difference.

I'm happy to have the tie. We could have had a loss against a team hungry in its own building.

Holik as third star was a joke.

Elias as second star was right on. Dunham as first star was pretty right.

Poor Gionta. He can expect a lot more of that. Too bad his post didn't go in. I too thought it was in.

Much MUCH better game from Nieds. I just know he's a night guy. ;)

Very nice game from Rafalski -- two assists.

MSG never said why Tverdovsky was scratched. I hope he's OK. I'm surprised if it's a healthy scratch -- but there are always elements going on that we know nothing about.

Figures right after I say Albelin's been doing pretty well... he does... not as well?

Nice game from Gomer for about a period and a half. Tremendous speed. Lots of battling from Friesen, that was nice.

Was worried about Stevenson after he fell after a hit and went off limping. Of course he was back for his next shift.

But that power play. ARRRRRGH. 5-on-3 for two minutes and just... horse pucky.

I think we've seen just about every line combo possible.

It looks like Elias can handle being double shifted, someone said it, from 15% confidence to 100%Havlat like(damn him)moves in one game.

He's been showing those moves for a couple games. But tonight was particularly impressive, I've got to say. And the goal is a good reward.

Double-shifting plus power play and PK time. And a two-game point streak (haha).

Some thoughts from the game...

Very happy when I heard Tverdozki (I cannot spell) wasn't playing, almost cried when I heard Poti would not be in the lineup. A team that isn't good on D playing without 4 of their top 6.

Elias was really something, the best forward on the ice.

I think in another thread Jerry was talking about Frizen, to be honest I didn't even notice him all night. What's up with that guy?

For those of you who think Mike Dunham is a glorified back-up, you are wrong. Time will tell if he can take his game to the next level, but he is a solid goalie. He makes all the saves he is supposed to make, and a few more.

Every young goalie should be forced to watch film of Brodeur when learning how to play the puck. If there is someone better I would like to see him. Granted the Devils cannot score on the PP to save their lives, but he is responsible for one additional rush per PP.

Stevens played the best game against the Rangers he has played in a year or two. Liked the battles he and Holik had.

As for Bobby, thought he played well. Friggen post, that one would have been nice.

Could not believe the Devils did not score on the 5 on 3. I was all set for a Rafalski slapper from the point.

"Well, they're still winless since he came back at least though."

Wrong. They won last week in OT on a Nedved goal.

To the game I attended. This is going to sound weird but I think the NJ fans can thank one of their own drunken fans at the game for the tying goal. As it turned out, there was a fight in Section 411 when a drunken NJ fan made a remark about Ranger fans sucking. Were they talking out of their ass here or did they think they wouldn't get a response? They apparently got themselves so drunk, they came back for more. It resulted in them getting knocked down an aisle. They definitely were out of line from what I saw. Just standing around yelling and screaming. The fight seemed to awaken the dead crowd as everyone stood up and got into the game right before the Ranger power play tying goal by defenseman Richard Lintner. Hardly anyone was paying any attention to what was taking place on the ice. But that's when the Ranger fans got vocal and it shifted the momentum of an otherwise dull 3rd. It looked like the Rangers fed off the crowd and then Lintner put home a rebound to knot the game.

Overall, the first period was a draw in which both teams played well and got chances. That draw played out when Elias buried a tap-in to give the Devils a 1-0 lead during 4-on-4. A sidenote on Elias for those who think he's out of his slump: The goal ironically enough was his 1st since the 11/21 game in which he also scored uncovered on a one-timer during 4-on-4. So, until Elias beats a goalie clean with a deke or wrist shot during 5-on-5, I wouldn't get too excited. It came against the Rangers. Both his best games did this season. Why do you think that is? Duh.

As soon as the goal was scored, I remarked to my Dad that the Rangers would get it right back. Sure enough, they did when ex-River Rat Joel Bouchard finished a give-and-go with Messier during the same 4-on-4 backdoor.

No chance for either goalie on those goals.

A big moment in the game came near the end of the first when the Rangers somehow were assessed two penalties on the same play. I thought for sure even the lifeless NJ power play would get one. However, the Devil power play rivaled that of the Rangers. Also, the Rangers PK unit of Nedved, Messier and Kasparaitis did a great job keeping them outside.

It helped that the penalty was split between the 1st and 2nd.

The 2nd was total domination by New Jersey and another no-show by the Rangers. Somehow, the team didn't get any momentum after killing a full 2:00 man-advantage. Only the Rangers could do that :P . Both Devil goals were easy tap-ins. When the worst ever defenseman to lace'em up for the Rangers Dave Krappa gave away the puck and put it on Rafalski's stick, I knew the puck would wind up in the net. Sure enough, the little midget Scott Gomez was allowed to do whatever he wanted in front of the net for an easy tap-in. Any other team and the D knocks him on his ass. But not the Rangers.

The 2nd period had me disillusioned and sickened. If not for Mike Dunham, the game would have been 4 or 5-1. It was gutless hockey for a team that couldn't afford less than two points.

I figured the 3rd would see the Devils try to hold on. This is exactly what happened. Even then, the Rangers came out with no emotion. Somehow, Billy Tibbetts centering Gordie Dwyer and Sandy McCarthy was the best Ranger line the whole game. It was a disgrace. Lindros barely was noticeable. Neither was Messier. The other Ranger line which was effective was the one centered by everyone's fave Bobby Holik ;) . Holik had an excellent game and created problems for the Devils most of the night. He and rookie Jamie Lundmark meshed well together along with Mikael Samuelsson, a player who seems to have Dvorak syndrome.

But instead of taking advantage of the Rangers' flat start to the 3rd, the Devils were content to sit back. And so, the game was still there for the taking. The Rangers finally got a couple of power plays and fed off the crowd after the fight in the stands.

The rest of the 3rd saw the Rangers get every chance possible to make it a two-point night. The Devils were on their heels and Holik's line came close a few times. There was one sequence on another power play where the Rangers' shooters had no one to blame but themselves. A scramble in front of Brodeur with him down and they shot the puck right back into him. It reminded me of the Devils' shooters. The Rangers and Devils are a lot more similar offensively than people would think. Both teams have tendencies to shoot the puck right into the goalie and drive their fans nuts.

That was the game IMO. The Rangers should have buried one of those chances and stolen two points. Instead, it went to OT. The OT was the complete opposite of the game at the Meadowlands. NJ had the better chances but Dunham was there. Holik had a wraparound but because he was a right-handed shot, it hurt his chance to win it.

And so, another tie between the two rivals. One which the Devils could be happy with while the Rangers could not. They should lose some sleep knowing they needed two and didn't do enough to get it. This was a victory for the Devils. They didn't lose any ground. Plus the Rangers have played so many more games. The more points they let slip away, the more it looks like another wasted season.

In the end, I look at the two Ranger goalscorers (Bouchard and Lintner) and come away with this: The Wolf Pack tied the Devils tonight 2-2.

Note: Is Scott Stevens allowed to do whatever he wants out there? Twice, he should have been called for roughing penalties.

When's the next game between them?

Some thoughts about the game.

Unfortunate they didn't get the PP goal on the 5 on 3. They should've gotten one.

Rafalski had another outstanding game. Involved in the play several times, should've been the 3rd star over Holik, which was pure spite on the part of the media.. If stardom is hitting the post, #89 should've been 3rd star in half the Devils playoff games in 2001.

Gomez and Elias played a great game. Both got a goal, both were involved. Elias looked like the elite forward he is, and Gomez showed signs of becoming the elite forward he is capable of being.

I can live with the Devils struggling on the power play. It cost them a point tonight, but it wasn't completely destructive. No power play goes 0-for without picking one up eventually.. the weak Washington PK is exactly what the Devils ordered for the next two games.

This team needs a shooter or a guy who can stick himself in the front of the net, but I'm not going to lose it asking for this player. It's December, not March, and the Devils are still playing good hockey without one. They need to examine who is extraneous and who is necessary for the Devils to succeed as a team, and make a move accordingly to get this player. If the choice comes to eliminating one of the players deemed 'necessary' to make this move, I think Lou will stand pat; this team is winning and playing well. They could easily win a round in the playoffs, and perhaps two. Anyone saying otherwise is paranoid about past failure.

One thing I was pissed about was Burns using Pandolfo-Madden-Langenbrunner every other shift at the end of the 3rd. Why? To assure yourself of the point? This is a division rival, not a Western Conference team..

As for Stevens, Kasparaitis did the same thing and got away with it. Don't watch the game with homer eyes.

"As it turned out, there was a fight in Section 411 when a drunken NJ fan made a remark about Ranger fans sucking."

That was me, in my loft at 3'rd Ave, Spring Lake as you were stewed off you arse hallucinating trying to get into the City and finally getting to your seat.

Then, after you grabbed a "Garden Dog" and a watered down $6 Coke (benefit of the doubt), you watched in dismay how a team from across the river came in and ruined your night.

Love ya bro!

Your Buddy!

"As soon as the goal was scored, I remarked to my Dad that the Rangers would get it right back. Sure enough, they did when ex-River Rat Joel Bouchard finished a give-and-go with Messier during the same 4-on-4 backdoor. "

I am sorry if you are not of age (12 here in West Virginia), but I do hope you had a great time at the DEVIL/RANGER Game. Please disregard my last post as I thought you had hair under your arms. Maybe I had to many Pepsi's...sorry.

Rangers suck kid! Get used to it! :wacko::wub::clap:

There was a play in front of the net and White pretty much body slammed Holik. I love it when a guy commit an obvious penalty like that then look to the ref with his arms sprad saying "who me?"

As for Holik getting the third star, you guys have watched enough hockey to understand that it is ALWAYS slanted toward the home team. When an opposing player gets a star on the road he played a hell of a game.

The first star of the game was clearly Dunham. Although many of the shots were long and from poor angles he still made some super ones. I'm not sure who it was against but the glove save late in the third was one hell of a save. The second was clearly Elias, he undressed a few defensemen and played one heck of a game. Finally if you think a Devil in a tie game, at MSG will get the third star, your mistaken. If the Game is in the swamp same thing happens. Devil gets #1 star, Dunham would get the #2 and another Devil would get the three star.

A sidenote on Elias for those who think he's out of his slump:  The goal ironically enough was his 1st since the 11/21 game in which he also scored uncovered on a one-timer during 4-on-4.  So, until Elias beats a goalie clean with a deke or wrist shot during 5-on-5, I wouldn't get too excited.  It came against the Rangers.  Both his best games did this season.  Why do you think that is?  Duh.

But instead of taking advantage of the Rangers' flat start to the 3rd, the Devils were content to sit back.  And so, the game was still there for the taking.  The Rangers finally got a couple of power plays and fed off the crowd after the fight in the stands.

That was the game IMO.  The Rangers should have buried one of those chances and stolen two points.  Instead, it went to OT.  The OT was the complete opposite of the game at the Meadowlands.  NJ had the better chances but Dunham was there.  Holik had a wraparound but because he was a right-handed shot, it hurt his chance to win it.

And so, another tie between the two rivals.  One which the Devils could be happy with while the Rangers could not.  They should lose some sleep knowing they needed two and didn't do enough to get it.  This was a victory for the Devils.  They didn't lose any ground.  Plus the Rangers have played so many more games.  The more points they let slip away, the more it looks like another wasted season.

The way out of a slump is to play hard. Elias has been doing that for quite a few games and he finally got rewarded for it. His head is really in it -- he must have gotten past the part where you bemoan every shot not going in.

I really didn't see much of the game the way you did. You said the Devils tried to hold on. Well I saw them making moves and still trying to get at Dunham.

But I do agree that it was the Devils' game and the Rangers could have stolen two points. And so, although it was a tie, I'm satisfied with the game. When the team plays the way it is capable of, I can live with the results. You hate letting the team back in the game, but it happens. It's hockey. People score.