The day after My Devil's World

redruM

But really...in the eyes of Devils Nation is there anyone that could have filled Neids skates? C'mon would we have been satisfied with Gonchar or Aucoin?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is true... but imagine that Nieder abandons us on day one of free agency and we can choose anyone we want to soften the damage.... Aucoin and Ganchar look pretty good...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will survive, All I know is Paul Martin while he may not be a Scott Niedermayer as a chance to be a phenomenal defenseman.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is going to be a huge year for Paul Martin. I, for one, think he's more than up to the task. He's gonna be his own kind of special.

Look I'm not saying that Broduer is anyting less that fantastic... but there are a good number of very good goalies... why do you think the NHl has to change the rules to heplp scoring?? yes the trap yes all the holding.. but there are some damn good goalies as well

maybe 5 was too many though

Here are 3 that I really like alot, and would be very comfortable going to battle w/ ( and I think would be on the same level as marty if they had as good a team as he has)

Kipirsof

Luongo

Khabibulin

next 3 are not as consitiant but still top shelf

Theodore

Giguere

Nabokov

Lidstrom, Blake,Pronger, Chara,Gonchar, mmm... thats the best I got.

However your goalies aren't much better...

Khabibulan? Kiprusoff? If you think they could replace Brodeur based on only one standout year, then Kubina and Regher can replace Niedermayer.

Sorry Red, but Brodeur is in his prime and the best goalie in the league and I don't think you can replace him that easy.

I mean i understand the loss you guys feel from losing him, but i don't think he's nearly as valuable as brodeur. Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't the 03-04 season the first season where he was truely consistent and lived up to his full potential?

This may be the most accurate thing EVER said on this board... well done !!!! Niedermayer was a constant enigma wrapped in a puzzle and you NEVER knew what you were getting... and is it hardly convienent he puts on a career year when the big contract around the corner ???

And also while i'm at it... shame on you red for mention Jiggy Puff-inflata goalie in the same galaxy as Brodeur when it comes to goaltending :P

Now someone name 3 defenseman that can do what Neids does...

Ok, Red there isn't anyone as talented as Nieds. We can't replace him.

But the fact of the matter is, and I don't want to belittle Nieds, but in the playoffs our #1 defensemen is Stevens along with Rafi. Nieds is allowed to roam because Stevens is usually paired against the best units of the opposition.

Nieds as a #1 guy, as he probably will be in Anahiem, will not have that kind of freedom, that will probably fall on Ozolish. I think if you watched the playoffs last year without Stevens, Nieds proved that he isn't as great as the number #1 guy in a defensive role. He was terrible in the playoffs and Philly just seemed to push him around.

Nieds is the leagues best #2 defensemen, but I am not so sure if he will be as successful in Anaheim as the #1 guy.

There are a few players as talented as nieds, but right now they're young prospects, i point to pitkanen and bouwmeester, but they're obviously nowhere near his level in terms of harnessing and using that talent

But there are also some players who are not only as talented as nieds, but in my mind, better than nieds. And those 2 are pronger and lidstrom. They may have not won the norris last year like nieds, but there is no doubt in my mind they have been more consistent over the past 3 or 5 years than nieds.

Bring up pronger's playoff performance, but then look at niedermayer's own. And if your going to try and find any way to bash lidstrom, your just talking out of your ass, to be perfectly blunt.

niedermayer's impact will be sorely missed, but i think a lot of you guys are just lingering on his last season, and not remebering back when he may have put up weak playoffs or inconsistent seasons...and your overdoing his norris winning season, when thats in reality, only one season.

To me fact is yes niedermayer is INCREDIBLE and VASTLY talented, right now to me only pronger has the talent to match niedermayer, but till he dominates in the playoffs and puts forth consistent dominant seasons as a no.1 defensemen. Its really hard for me to say that he's the best dman in the league. Keep in mind i don't think chara is one of the best either.

This will probably seem like bashing nieds...but whatever. In a way i guess it is, but i really think you guys are overstating his loss.

Nieds is the leagues best #2 defensemen, but I am not so sure if he will be as successful in Anaheim as the #1 guy.

The best quote I've seen on him.

This is why he was so valuable to the Devils. With Stevens there, he's lethal.

However, I think he will do well as a #1 in the west and under the new rules.

As for his goalie with small pads.... they may need Bobby Orr to help them.

Nothing comes over the team. Cya Neider, it was good knowing you and we thank you for your contribution. As long as Lou is around and Marty is around, I have faith in the team. Remember "interchangable parts"? I like to think of the Devils as the Borg.. but in a good way.

Well I think I'm better now -- the weekend helped :evil:

I like this team. It's exciting and pretty fresh. SO hockey-wise team-wise I'm more than OK with Stevens not coming back now - I think it's better he doesn't in fact.

I've considered the most effective role and basically he'd be an assistant on ice - which is neat and novel idea - I dont know how he meshes with Larry though. It's kind of something I'd imagine you'd long for as a coach at times. But it's a little Bush league too when you think about it. I mean then games are practices - which you know - that would be my philosophy during the season just because I dont know -- theres always something new to learn and when something clicks fast pace like it does in a game it's just - you have to keep the learning going and put it into real-world practice ASAP. but that's just me. So anyhow from that perspective a Stevens return would appeal.

But I don't know the guy to be frank. I dont know if he could take it either. I mean it would take a certain detatchment and the ability to give up the reigns and not snatch them back in a fit of frustrated rage. Would Stevens think "here let me do it" in a real-game situation?

I dont know -- he seems to have never been able to let go of his childish temperment. Remember when he got all mad at the press last year - it's just childish. It takes him a lot of practice to step back from things I figure and he's not ready to be a coach or an assitant with NHL players. To fill a coaching role successfully you can't shut down you can't be all self absorbed about your own product. Well see that's it -- Stevens isn't familiar enough with his value I don't know if it's confidence problems or vision problems but he OBVIOUSLY doesn't understand or respect what his role would have to be on ice. What guy does though. I mean Mario is still great but you know, relax, step back and DON'T perform at over-the-top level (and setting yourself up for injury like he does means he's over-performing) These guys can't leave room for someone else - same with Messier. I don't think their egos can let them NOT do what they did to save peoples bacon. They'd feel like they were dogging it if they gave other room I guess... Or you know maybe being physically past your prime you really dont have a role out there. Stevens isn't past his physical prime but he's on his way -- ok - you know he IS. There -- he IS past his prime -- but he hadn't ENTERED his prime when he entered the league -- hmeh fine. So it's time to leave... :evil: but I still want to continue along with my venting post here... :evil:

OBVIOUSLY with all this free flowing prattle I think it's just too complicated a role to have a place in the NHL and Stevens is right to not come back. He's NOT right to be all tight-lipped about it - but that's his trip not ours and the Devils will be better off without him and I'm glad they're taking it all that way too!

Edited by Darwindog

I don't think anyone can have an educated guess about what Stevens can bring to this team after a year off and his injury... I'd rather him retire a day too early then a day too late. I am sure we'll know soon enough about what is going on. I do not see him as a coach though,,, just never have seen much of that in him.

well, just 3 weeks ago(and I know it's been a most-unusual 3 weeks) on July 15th Lou said:

... Scott Stevens "is healthy, looks great and he feels great," and is hopeful the Devils' captain returns to play after missing the final half of 2003-04 with post-concussion syndrome.

When does training camp open ?on Sept 8 or 9 ?

If Stevens is not there when the Vets are due to report, then we'll know he is not even attempting to play this year.

:huh: I'm just reconciling the volumes his silence is speaking.

I'm reconciling the fact that Lou said the door is open with the numbers we all see available for his salary.

I'm reconciling my feelings about The New Jersey Devils without Scott Stevens... the NHL without Scott Stevens. And I'm ok where I am right now.

I don't mean to open up a debate or throw in the towel -- I was just going with red's theme of living with worst case scenario as it appears to be coming to pass.

Words or no words things aren't the same with the Devils and Scott Stevens. I'm working that out. :evil: It's what I do... polish turds, etc and so forth.

I'm miserable still...

I just wish he'd retire already if that's what he wants and then make lots of public appearances - and run a kissing booth (whether he wants to or not) -- a kissing booth on my front lawn and no one can buy kisses but me... but I dont have to buy them because Stevens gives them to me for free... and then says how adorable I am and how much he loves what I write at njdevs.com and - and - and that he's always drempt of watching a hockey game with me and how he has tickets and I should go and my husband can come too but he plans on monopolozing me the whole game - just with hockey talk.. no kissing :wub:

:unsure: uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

what was I just writing about? where am I?

Hockey is a team sport. While goalie is, to me the most important position in the league one dominant player at that position, no matter how dominant will not win you anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you asked for an example where this happened. I give you the 02-03 Devils. Brodeur was incredible and simply robbed of the Conn Smythe. While Elias, Langenbrunner, and Neidermayer all had very good playoffs, that team was the perfect example of one dominant goalie, a few pretty good players, and average guys littered throughout the rest of the team.