Game Thread: Devils vs. Lightning

NJDevs4978

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin was horribleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, the lazyness is rubbing off in him. He looked scared out there, looked horrible with the puck and didn't look fast at all.

If White is back I would love to bench Malakhov and Martin for a game and dress White, Matvichuk, Rafalski, McGillis, Hale, Brown.

On a positive note Brown and Matvichuk looked good tonight.

FYI, Rats are off all week but are in Norfolk Friday and Saturday.

Actually, now that I read the weekly press release, they travelled to Norfolk today after their morning practice. The point is that if Ahonen is to be recalled, the Devils will need to factor in travel time.

my favorite line of the night was when the TSN color guy called Paul Martin a turnover machine.

the Devils should have no problem getting under the cap.

when White gets back they can bring up Hale and start playing Brown, then they can dump MacGillis and MatviSUCK...

Lou totally blew it, The defence is shot to Hell...also they collectivley do not know how to deal with the trapezoid.

poor Marty the team just hung him out to dry...

I dug Brown getting the TSN monster player for the second period.

Just got back from the game...my observations:

-The passing was terrible tonight. Very poor. Either too soft or too hard, they looked like they had no clue how to pass the puck.

-Shooting wasn't better either. Looked lazy and lackluster...couldn't figure out if they were unmotivated or really couldn't solve the Tampa D. Either way, way too many shots were fired or flubbed into the legs of Tampa players.

-Turnovers, turnover, TURNOVERS!!! What the HELL?!

-Marty looked off from the get go. Didn't look comfortable out there at all, and he gave up quite a few rebounds. He never looked like he was in the game.

-McGillis was terrible tonight. Martin wasn't much better. Malakhov made a ton of boneheaded plays but at least somewhat made up for them with his goal.

-Brown was our best defenseman. He was a monster out there tonight. I hope this game has put some of his naysayers to rest, at least for now.

-Brylin had a good game, as usual. Gionta was flying too. Too bad none of the other Devils got the memo that there was a game tonight, against the defending Cup champs no less.

-When Marty got hurt, I immediately noticed he was favoring his leg. I was worried that he may have hurt his knee, looks like I could possibly be right. Let's hope he just twisted it, a knee injury for a goalie is like the kiss of death.

Overall, I was disappointed. The Devils were awful in the first period, greatly improved in the second, and lost all momentum in the third. Brodeur's injury killed the team tonight, no doubt. What worries me about this Devils team is that they seem to lose their focus and motivation VERY easily. There's no leadership out there right now, and it's killing them.

Edited by RD

Man, I just walked in from this debacle. As I'm sure it's been discussed ad nausium here tonight, this team can't play a lick of defense. PERIOD. I don't how long we're suposed to give this team as it's presently constituted- 20 games, 30 games. But I find it hard to believe it's gonna get much better. I knew if they kept playing like pussies in front of the net, they were gonna get Marty hurt, and voila- it took all of 9 games. I just pray it's nothing serious, but they gotta ATTEMPT to protect the front of the net. The coverage in front and protection of Marty has been non-existent and I'm fvcking sick of it. On top of the sh!tty passing, zero chemistry and inconsistency- they STILL haven't played 60 minutes start to finish. Horrible. Just horrible. :argh::argh:

From TSN:

"We'll see what the next couple of days bring and how sore it is," said Brodeur. "I just twisted it. My leg was under me and I kind of put my body weight under it and I heard it twist pretty hard."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like DECENT news. Doesn't sound to serious. I guess we'll see.

Hrmm...I don't know how you can HEAR your knee twist, which worries me because he may actually be referring to a pop or snapping noise. I worry about a meniscal injury -- common in hockey, injured with sudden twisting motions with the foot planted. A meniscal injury, while not that severe for the average person, can take a goalie out for a long time. Let's hope he just sprained a ligament and didn't do any structural damage.