TOM DROPS BOMB

Rock

TOM DROPS BOMB

CALLS DEVILS DISHONORABLE DIVERS

by Larry Brooks

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/65100.htm

April 26, 2006 -- Well, well, well, well, well. Bulletin-board material ... bulletin-board material ...

Tom Renney hasn't used the press to deliver messages to referees throughout the season. But the Rangers' head coach, who is nothing if not calculating, sure did yesterday in delivering a monologue regarding some of the questionable boarding penalties his team has been assessed thus far in its first-round playoff series.

Delivered a rebuke to the Devils, as well.

"[i don't like] the turning and protecting the puck with the back to the checker, then falling down and grabbing your head, and then jumping up and skating away after a penalty has been called," Renney said following practice. "You haven't seen any of our guys do that.

"This is an honorable game. We play with all the honor the game requires. We'd like to see our opponent do the same.''

Kevin Weekes, stand-up goaltender and stand-up guy, hit it precisely following Monday's Game 2, 4-1 loss - and by the way, no, we don't believe he should have tried to outrace John Madden for the puck.

"The Devils have a lot of experience at being who they are, and we're learning as we go," said Weekes. "We only started working this year with a whole new group.''

But what's interesting is that, in coming closer Monday than they did Saturday, the Rangers did so by playing more like the Devils; by getting the puck in deep, by grinding it out, by largely changing the directional compass from east-west to north-south.

Tonight, however, the Rangers need to find the way to get Petr Sykora more open ice, and they need to use him on the power-play point, where he possesses the most deadly shot of anyone on the club.

Renney's resisted ever since the Rangers acquired Sykora in January - the coach is concerned about defensive shortcomings - but the Devils were once concerned about that, too, when Sykora played there.

They were concerned, that is, until they gave him the opportunity and watched him fire away from 60 feet with a heavy shot that nearly always found the net and produced numerous rebound opportunities for hungry teammates. Saturday's five-PPG explosion aside, the Devils never have been more dangerous than they were with Sykora on the point in 2000 and 2001.

If Brian Rafalski has ever played better hockey in his own zone than in the first two games of this series both at even strength and short-handed, we'd like to know when. No, he's not getting hit, and that's always a help, but it's not as if the Rangers aren't trying to target the 5-foot-9 defenseman. It's that Rafalski has avoided putting himself in position to be hit.

The Bob Baun Award goes to Steve Rucchin, who could barely sit on the bench following shifts Monday because of the pain, but nevertheless produced 16:40 of power hockey while playing with a broken bone in his right foot.

Wait a second: The Devils aren't really going to get away with giving Brad Lukowich 22 minutes of ice a night, are they? And just asking this, too, but is Grant Marshall the biggest whiner ever to play for the Devils or is it just a thing he has playing the Rangers that suggests he should go onto the ice sucking on a pacifier?

Edited by Rock

"[i don't like] the turning and protecting the puck with the back to the checker, then falling down and grabbing your head, and then jumping up and skating away after a penalty has been called," Renney said following practice. "You haven't seen any of our guys do that.

Sure I have. White on Jagr. He turned, protected the puck with the back to the checker, fell down, grabbed his head and skated away after a penalty was called.

To quote Tom Renney:

"This is an honorable game. We play with all the honor the game requires. We'd like to see our opponent do the same.''

Is Renney full of sh^t or what! You have a guys like Kasper, Hollweg, and Malik throwing their bodies around with intent to injur and he comes up with this bullsh^t!

It's all over but the crying Renney! Dick!

Jeez, 75% of players who actually commits a penalty put their arms up as if saying "i didn't do anything".

The call on Marshall was one of the worst I've seen. Two guys racing for the puck. Marshall out-muscling his opponent, not interference.

But that's OK. Brooks is who he is. And the one-upping after a call is common in every sport, to try to think the refs owe you one.

I'll take Marshall on my team any day.

Pathetic. Thats all I can say about this. I honestly dont know why this guy gets so much praise cause if you ask me, Mr. Tom Renney is a real piece of sh*t. He is going to call out the Devils? Give me a break. Maybe he should inform his players to keep their elbows down cough* Malik* cough.

I really hope the Devils sweep the Rangers now. Is anybody else just sick and tired of hearing their constant bitching, or is it just me? They have an excuse for everything. Bunch of clowns.

Tom Renney and Larry Brooks should really consider dating eachother. They seem like a perfect match. Bunch of tools.

Can you imagine Lou Lamoriello saying that? Just close your eyes and try to imagine it. It doesn't work. Does not compute. Just goes to show the difference in class between the organizations.

Don's comment completely covers it (except I would replace organizations with coaches.)

it's one of jagr patented moves, rush up the boards, then as the d-man tries to stand him up, he turns to protect the puck and find a late man rushing to pass to, and on more than one occasion (in fact, as someone else pointed out, in this series against colin white), he turns as the d-man is about to hit him, smashes into the boards, crumbles to the ice, and draws the penalty.

more importantly though, so long as renny has holleweg leading every check he throws with his elbow outstretched and head high, then turning to the ref after the penalty gets called like, "what did i do??", he should just keep his mouth shut - and kaspar-i'll end your hockey career by blowin out your knee - itis is no saint either.

on the other hand, it is the playoffs, and coaches pull this crap all the time to try to get refs/league looking a little closer at the opponent - if it pays off with one extra power play, or one penalty against not being called, well, then it works, right.

btw, marshall has been a whiney little puke so far - hopefully his 2 min unsportmanlike got him a big earful of lou lams and we see a different grant marshal out there from here on in.

This is why Larry Brooks is universally loathed. The Rag$ -- who about two months ago were a Cup favorite in his column -- are being completely humbled. So Larry has to resort to calling Grant Marshall a baby. Maybe Marshall should drop his rattle and rattle Larry a little bit.

As for the "dishonorable" Devils -- I'm sorry, but wasn't that Jagr who TURNED HIS BACK to a checker against the boards and earned a penalty IN GAME ONE?!?!?!?!?

<JESTER>

Couple of thoughts on this. First, since Lou claims he doesn't pay attention to anything that's said, I doubt this would be put up on the bulletin board by him. But it wouldn't surprise me if one of the players found it. As someone pointed out, it was on SportDesk last night, one of them probably saw it.

About what was actually said, the clear pattern in this series has been to call 2 minutes for boarding when the player it hit from behind but was turning when he was hit. It happened with Jagr, with Pandolfo and with Langenbrunner. It was very consistent. I would also like to note that all three of them stayed down for a little while, felt around to make sure they were all right and then skated back to the bench looking pretty unscathed (except for Jay, who was, of course, bleeding, but, as as we have seen before, a bleeding Jay Pandolfo does not move the referees). Jamie may have felt his head. Ever so sorry his head wasn't actually concussed, Tom. Does Renney think that since they are able to skate back to the bench and continue to play the person who hit them from behind (even though all three of them were turning) should not have been penalized? Does that go for Jagr as well? Should White not have been penalized? Are we going by whether the player is hurt now on whether the penalty is called? Because if that's Renney's standard that's going back to something pretty nasty that the league has been trying to get away from.

As for Grant, I've said this before. He should have taken his penalty and shut up about it. He's not the only one who does it but he was the only one in that game who did it to that extent. He deserved the extra two, he was whining to Cindy proportions.

Here's Renney's problem....we are given a PP and will KILL the Rags on the PP...period. He's gotta find something to b!tch about....if we were standing them up at the blueline he would say something about clutching and grabbing or the trap being "dishonorable"...Four things are going to win this series and right now the Devils possess and personify each one....Heart, Discipline, Determination, and :koolaid: ...end of story...

Yawn. Cry me a river, Brooks. You write for a rag team on a rag tabloid.

You'll have plenty of time to write about the "dishonorable Devils" in the 2nd round when there is no Rangers hockey to cover.

Oh this is just funny. I do feel bad though... Renney waxing all Laviolette -- i think he's a dope now and I was nusing a growing respect for the knob. I don't like having to see guys I've recently grown to respect get all desperate. I mean we all smell the fear now... we smell blood now... :doh1: what an IDIOT! :argh:

... not like I'm a Ranger fan - but <_<

Renney is a classless, m-fer.

Just like with Phat Quinn... this kind of stuff NEVER works.

The Devils are one of the most honorable teams in the NHL.

... oh and I agree about Rafalski.

His play, at least from my vantage point at the arena, has picked up a notch for the playoffs... he's been a star.

Renney's an idiot! He's showing his true inexperience at coaching by saying something like this. And of course numbnuts Brooks has to glorify it for him. Go ahead, say what you want. He should be more worried about what the Rags are doing than what the Devs are doing, but whatever, waste time with inane quotes and stupid crap.

Dishonorable??

Renney has Holwig running all over the arens throwing late checks, jagr throwing half assed punches and orr & ortmeyer throwing elbows and the devs are dishonorable???

As for Brooks.. He's a HACK!! 1 minute he picks the rangers for last then he jumps the bandwagon and makes the a cup favorite and now he bad mouths NJ..

where are the NJ writers to fire back???

I was a big Renney supporter all season, but he just lost all respect from me with his desperate attempt to deflect responsiblity for not getting his team mentally prepared. His team came out undisciplined and he has made some questionable moves (Weekes, and putting Dolton Orr in the line-up) and he can't accept that as coach he is responsible for getting them ready for battle.

A test of a good coach is how good you get your team to respond to adversity, on this test Renney FAILS.

He's lost his footing in this series and doesnt know what to do.

I'm sorry but Lamoriello or Gainey should be in the top running for coach of the year.

Renney did nothing but ride Jagr and a hot goaltender to the playoffs. Jagr goes down, Henry gets hurt and he runs in circles trying to figure out how to make his team competitive.

anyone who says Renney should be considered for the Jack Adams needs to get their head examined.