Devils @ NY Rangers OGT: 4/26 7pm

hattrick

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an outsider looking in, all i can say is wow....you almost get the feeling now this team might never lose....gotta hand it to the Devils...they took the Garden out of the game right away....and MSG sounded more like a exhibition game in September in the 3rd then it did for a playoff game...

Personally as a hockey fan I was hoping for a more compelling series, but it is what it is.

Congrats to Martin Brodeur for his 21st career playoff shutout, only 2 behind Mr. Roy for that record now.

Good game indeed guys. The Devs looked better than the previous two.

For all of those fans (including Matt Loughlin) that think this is over, just bear in mind that Petr Sykora played on the very New Jersey Devils team that came from 3-1 down to upset Philly in the 2000 Conference Semis...

The rags have nothing to lose, and will play one period at a time...

Be cautious about being overconfident, and remember, be humble and take the high road...

Good game indeed guys. The Devs looked better than the previous two.

For all of those fans (including Matt Loughlin) that think this is over, just bear in mind that Petr Sykora played on the very New Jersey Devils team that came from 3-1 down to upset Philly in the 2000 Conference Semis...

The rags have nothing to lose, and will play one period at a time...

Be cautious about being overconfident, and remember, be humble and take the high road...

Bingo.

This was the game that they needed to play. Smart hockey. Not many penalties and capitalize on the opportunities that were given! Marty was brilliant again and the players that needed to step up, stepped up.

Plus...5 on 5!

Awesome. Now just need one more game like this one Saturday. I'm working on Sunday so they have to win on Saturday so I don't have to worry about missing the game.

Just back from the game... what can I add ? I sat with Glenn Anderson for about 2 periods (membership has its privileges) and he was aghast at the effort the Rags put out and the way the Devs shut everyone down - I wanted him to tell me that Marty was the best goalie ever - but he wouldnt offer.. 6 rings that man has ... he was not happy with me :o

F all the superstitions - this series is OVER. The Rangers looked like a demoralized team tonight, and played like it too. The Devils played a fantastic game all three periods and limited the Rangers' scoring chances, especially in the 2nd and 3rd.

Was there anything more sad than that first Rangers power play where Roszival and Ozolinsh continually fed Jagr the puck, only to have him pass it back to them? It was obvious Jagr couldn't shoot well - yet they just kept giving it to him, expecting him to work some magic. He couldn't and they couldn't. They look lost - like they should have looked at long stretches during the season if things had gone the way the hockey writers expected. The team we're playing now is the Rangers team most people envisioned - reliant on Jagr, no secondary scoring, too soft, disorganized, not defensively responsible, and in need of their goaltender to bail them out of the tough spots. The team we're seeing is just not a playoff team - they've been outscored 13-2.

I'm hoping for the sweep, obviously, but beating the Rangers on home ice to take a series from them would be nice too. This one is OVER, folks - it's not a question of if, but when.

I see someone requested my presence. If you don't know by now, I am here win or lose. Have been for as long as I have posted here.

That was my first ever playoff game. What a debacle. Regardless, I still had fun as did my Dad, brother and friend in one of the best playoff atmospheres. Where else would us diehards be hopelessly chanting, "Let's Go Rangers" when the game was over at 3-0?

I have lost a lot of respect for Tom Renney. He wussed out when it came to scratching the human traffic cone. He's wussed out a lot lately. Maybe his inexperience finally showed.

I have to give Jagr credit for playing. It was obvious he couldn't do much in regards to shooting the puck. But he still gave it a go and skated hard and even created the 2-3 chances the team had.

There was one drawback to this night. As I was walking out, two bozos tarnished it a little. One of them probably way too drunk remarked, "Jagr really helped." Of course they couldn't say it to my face. Couldn't just keep their mouth shut, right? Sadly enough, this moron wasn't even wearing a Devils jersey. Probably a bandwagoner or fake fan who shouldn't even be there because they sat right by the glass. I forget what I yelled at the guy. But it doesn't matter. I really would have liked to punch him. But what would have been the point? They obviously didn't know much about the game. It would've been a waste. Anyway, that was the only bad thing about the night.

That was the easiest 24-save shutout Martin Brodeur will ever get. He could've had an all expense gourmet meal and dessert. That's how easy the saves were. Any rebound was cleared away. He looked bored in the third period as it was winding down. I don't even know how the Rangers got 24 shots on net. They generated nothing. This was maybe the most boring game I've been to. It felt like an exhibition. How did this team make the playoffs again?

I want to give the Devils a lot of credit for not just how they played and just waited for the predictable Ranger mistakes. But for not having Janssen run our players at the end. That was a classy move not to. If it were the Flyers, you know they would've sent Brashear out and he'd have done something stupid.

It might sound weird. But I don't feel all that badly about things. When I think of what was predicted for this team and where they wound up, I guess it's kind of coming full circle now. The Rangers weren't as good as they played most of the year. They had a lot of things go right. The Olympics seemed to be the turning point. Then there was the brutal trade of Ville Nieminen which turned into essentially nothing. Think Nieminen would have helped a team without much grit to begin with? He'd have at least been an antagonist for the Devils to deal with. All they have is Hollweg.

There were also the untimely injuries to some of our key players but that's part of hockey. The Devils D didn't seem to miss Colin White much the last two games.

I knew they had no chance when this series came to fruition. Especially with how the season ended. I predicted Devils in 5. Sadly, it looks like it will be a sweep.

The only thing I can take out of it is it gave some of our guys who never experienced the playoffs before a chance to see what it takes to win at this level. Against a well oiled machine with a wealth of Cup experience, they are learning that they have a long way to go. It takes a lot of sacrifice and commitment to be a winner. I feel this will be a valuable experience for the Dom Moores, Petr Pruchas, Jed Ortmeyers, Hollwegs, Blair Betts', Fedor Tyutins, Henrik Lundqvists, etc. When this series ends, I want them to remember why they came up so short. Because the experience of losing with the stakes at its highest should be fresh in their minds when they open training camp next fall.

The mission this season was to bring respect back to the Ranger jersey. They did that. Nobody can take that away from them. I don't think anyone who watched could say our guys didn't try tonight or in Games 1 and 2. But they didn't play smart enough.

In thinking about next year, knowing how Brandon Dubinsky and Nigel Dawes are tearing up the AHL first round along with Marc Staal, Dwight Helminen, Al Montoya, etc, I feel pretty good about the team's future. This is the beginning of the long journey back. That's understood.

I'll be here to congratulate your team when it becomes official.

Forgot to add one thing: I won't give my tickets away. Wouldn't do that. I still want to be there win or lose.

Sorry if this was exceptionally long. But I felt one post would be easiest so you know how I feel. As far as I know, the sun will be out tomorrow and I'll take advantage of it.

P.S. As we were walking to our seats, guess who we saw at the hot dog stand. None other than Chico Resch. Nice guy but I don't think he remembered me. Must have been the beard. LOL

Edited by Derek21

They are replaying it on both MSG and FSNY in 60.

The 1st 2 games MSG showed in 60 but FSNY showed the game in its entirety...then at noon tomorrow and again at 4 on MSG...I just watch em over and over and over....oy....I need a blank tape for Saturday :o

good post derek...i'm amazed that you weren't at a game in '94 or '97. i was sure you were about 30 like me and would've been there for those series.

as for you triumph, it's very rare, but as much as i agree with your post, you have to know that you can't book it like you have.

as for the best line of any recap i've seen, this one from the AP:

"After each of the first two defeats, in which they were outscored 10-2, the Rangers spoke of their strong play while skating five-on-five and insisted they could win if they could stay at even strength.

New Jersey needed four shots to poke holes in that theory."

just as sundstrom pointed out above, this game finally put away that nonsense about the rangers being better 5 on 5. just because the rangers played alot of the game in the devils zone didn't mean they were the better team. for all that time in the devils zone, the devils gave them NOTHING.

the third period was a joke. the rangers didn't want to compete, they looked absolutely dejected.

it was a sweet victory but damn the devils were ruthless.....they didn't even allow for the possibility of a comeback.

Edited by brylin18

That was the easiest 24-save shutout Martin Brodeur will ever get.

You know I have to correct you, Derek, 25 saves. Timely saves, with rebounds controlled. Marty is just makes it look easy. Henrik the *cough* king *cough* was average. Marty was a better rookie too, won a little trophy call the Calder.

good post derek...i'm amazed that you weren't at a game in '94 or '97. i was sure you were about 30 like me and would've been there for those series.

as for you triumph, it's very rare, but as much as i agree with your post, you have to know that you can't book it like you have.

as for the best line of any recap i've seen, this one from the AP:

"After each of the first two defeats, in which they were outscored 10-2, the Rangers spoke of their strong play while skating five-on-five and insisted they could win if they could stay at even strength.

New Jersey needed four shots to poke holes in that theory."

I will be 30 this December sundstrom. I just never had the fortune of being at a playoff game before now. Guess it was bad timing. Regarding the whole 5-on-5 thing, the Devils were smart. They just waited for the predictable mistakes which resulted in the first two goals. I can count on one finger how many times the Devils had to work for a goal at even strength without a mistake:

Just once. The Parise redirection tonight.

Game 1: All six came due to the man-advantage.

Game 2: 2 SHG, 1 PPG and an even strength goal off another Ranger mistake which led to a 3-on-1 and Madden's hat trick.

Game 3: 1st goal- Traffic cone pinches leading to 2-on-1 and tap-in for Langenbrunner.

2nd goal- Hale gets away with boarding Prucha. Devils work puck out as another D-man is caught. 3-on-2 rush. Elias pots the rebound.

Essentially, off the cycle at five-on-five, they got one goal. That's the most disappointing aspect of this series for me.