Gdt: Edmonton Vs. Carolina, Stanley Cup Finals, Game 2

Devilsdude530

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be willing to bet Markkanen. But hey, I have been wrong all playoffs. Hahaha

THE NHL TODAY - WEDNESDAY, JUNE 7

HE SAID IT

"Ray would go from two goals in a game to six goals in a game. And that's if Floyd was trying." -- Oilers coach Craig MacTavish on Edmonton's occasional practice goalie Floyd Whitney, father of Hurricanes forward Ray Whitney.

THE BIG STORIES

-- A TALE OF TWO CITIES

-- OILERS, HURRICANES SET TO TOP GAME 1 EXCITEMENT

-- HURRICANES KEEP ROLLING WITH CAM WARD

-- OILERS' SPACEK A PERFECT FIT

-- SOMEBODY ALWAYS STEPS UP

-- ROLOSON'S INJURY HARDLY MEANS DOOM

-- HOLD OFF ON THAT RUSH TO JUDGEMENT

-- THE CUP RUNNETH OVER AGAIN

A TALE OF TWO CITIES

J.P. Giglio writes in the RALEIGH NEWS AND OBSERVER , "Think of it as the Carolina Hurricanes' version of six degrees of separation. The string of trades that started 13 years ago when the Hartford Whalers dealt Chris Pronger and ended in 2000 when the Carolina acquired Rod Brind'Amour confuses even the Canes' captain. 'I honestly don't even know the whole history of it,' Brind'Amour said. 'If you want to keep going and trace it back, you can do that for every guy in this room and probably get back to [Wayne] Gretzky at some point, so whatever.' Four trades and five cities separate the two most important players in this series-Brind'Amour, the Canes' clutch scorer and leader, and Pronger, the Edmonton Oilers' immense, tireless defenseman. 'It's a little ironic we're both here,' said Pronger, 31. 'But you have to remember, that was a long time ago.' It started with a trade..."

http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/447928.html

OILERS, HURRICANES SET TO TOP GAME 1 EXCITEMENT

Luke DeCock writes in the RALEIGH NEWS AND OBSERVER , "After everything that was packed into Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals, it's fair to wonder what this series could possibly have left to offer. There was the first successful penalty shot in finals history, a comeback to erase a 3-0 deficit, an injury to a starting goalie, a mistake by his replacement that led to the winning goal in the final minute and a phenomenal performance by a rookie goalie that saved his team from a miserable performance that should have doomed it to certain defeat...The wild night was the epitome of end-to-end, new-NHL hockey, and expectations remain high for a similar show tonight despite the Oilers' sudden dilemma in net."

http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/447932.html

HURRICANES KEEP ROLLING WITH CAM WARD

Ken Campbell writes in the TORONTO STAR , "The Hurricanes were staring down the barrel of a 2-0 deficit going into two games at the Bell Centre in Montreal during the first round of the playoffs. Veteran Martin Gerber, who had set a franchise record for wins, had struggled mightily and the Hurricanes had no choice but to turn to 22-year-old rookie Cam Ward, who hadn't exactly distinguished himself in the second half of the season. Since then, Ward has been nothing short of stellar for the Hurricanes and played in Game 1 what Hurricanes coach Peter Laviolette termed as one of the most spectacular performances ever for a guy who gave up four goals. The spectacular came in the form of two larcenous glove saves off Shawn Horcoff, one with 8:22 remaining in the game and the other with 3.8 seconds left to preserve the 5-4 victory."

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...l=1044442957278

OILERS' SPACEK A PERFECT FIT

John McGourty writes on NHL.COM , "Through no fault of his own, Jaroslav Spacek has never won a Stanley Cup, but Edmonton Oilers GM Kevin Lowe knew when he traded for Spacek on Jan. 26that the big Czech defender had won a gold medal with his national team in 1998 and World Championships in 1999, 2001 and 2005. Spacek would win a bronze medal at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino a few weeks after he was acquired by the Oilers. Sometimes we look at weak teams and assume all the players are similarly weak but, inevitably, there's a player whose light is overshadowed by the surrounding dark. That would be a good way to describe the first few years of Spacek's NHL career."

http://www.nhl.com/cupcrazy/2006/serieso/spacek060406.html

SOMEBODY ALWAYS STEPS UP

Jacques Demers writes in USA TODAY , "The worst thing the Edmonton Oilers could do after losing goaltender Dwayne Roloson for the rest of the Stanley Cup Finals is feel sorry about themselves. They can't turn his absence into a negative. They have to turn it into a positive. He might not be with them on the ice, but he's still a teammate. He got the Oilers to the Finals. He was a candidate for playoff MVP. But he doesn't have his name on the Stanley Cup, and the Oilers should make it their goal to get his name on the Stanley Cup. In the 1987-88 season, my Detroit Red Wings team lost captain Steve Yzerman to a knee injury on March 1. He was our MVP, but nobody put his head down. We regrouped. He missed the rest of the regular season and the first two rounds of the playoffs, but we reached the conference finals without him. Gerard Gallant became the leader of the team. Goalies Greg Stefan and Glen Hanlon stood tall. Someone always will step up."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/cup/...2-preview_x.htm

A DEEPER LOOK

Edmonton's Ty Conklin or Jussi Markkanen would become the first goaltender in 45 years to make his first career playoff start in a Stanley Cup Final game. In 1961, Detroit's Hank Bassen relieved the injured Terry Sawchuk in Game 1 against Chicago, then started and won Game 2 in Detroit, 3-1.

Markkanen's lone NHL postseason appearance came on April 11, 2003, relieving Tommy Salo and allowing one goal in 14 minutes of Edmonton's 6-1 loss at Dallas. Conklin made his playoff debut in Game 1 Monday.

The only other NHL goaltenders to make their first career playoff start in a Stanley Cup Final: the New York Rangers' Joe Miller, in 1928 against the Montreal Maroons, and Chicago's Alf Moore and Paul Goodman, in 1938 against Toronto.

ROLOSON'S INJURY HARDLY MEANS DOOM

Mike Heika writes in the DALLAS MORNING NEWS , "Ilya Bryzgalov? Cristobal Huet? Vesa Toskala? Did anyone guess these goalies would be good this year? Heck, how about Cam Ward and Dwayne Roloson, for that matter? That's why the Edmonton Oilers can't panic too much after losing Roloson to a knee injury in a 5-4 loss in Game 1 Monday night. Do backup goalies Ty Conklin or Jussi Markkanen have any skins on the wall that would indicate they might be able to help Edmonton win the Stanley Cup? Nothing even close. But then again, neither did any goalie who did anything worth talking about in the playoffs this year."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...a.17ba032a.html

HOLD OFF ON THAT RUSH TO JUDGEMENT

Damien Cox writes in the TORONTO STAR , "In the rush to dissect elite athletic competition into quick and easily digestible storylines, perspective often gets thrown overboard. Thus emerged the powerful and seemingly incontrovertible truth before tonight's Game 2 of the Stanley Cup final: Dwayne Roloson out, series over. Well, perhaps that's a bit hasty...This is a series with many moving parts, many variables, some controlled by the Oilers and some by the Canes and some by neither team. The loss of a 36-year-old journeyman goalie on its own should not turn this competition into a romp unless it was going to be a romp all along."

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...l=1044442957278

THE CUP RUNNETH OVER AGAIN

Kevin Paul Dupont writes in the BOSTON GLOBE , "Anyone who checked out of hockey two years ago, the last time the NHL staged its Stanley Cup finals, must have been a bit mystified, even stupefied, if they finally returned to the rink Monday night and caught a peek at what played out at the RBC Center. The NHL... took another giant step toward reclaiming its once-good name with a sensational Game 1. It was so good, in fact, that the only successful penalty shot in Cup finals history, scored by Oilers defenseman Chris Pronger, nearly was relegated to a passing mention in most game accounts, written or broadcast, across North America."

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articl...neth_over_again

MEDIA BUZZ (All times ET)

-- GARY BETTMAN : Tomorrow at 4:20 pm on Fox News' "YOUR WORLD WITH NEIL CAVUTO"

QUICK HITS

-- John McGourty offers his daily "Playoff Buzz":

http://www.nhl.com/cupcrazy/2006/daily060606.html

-- The Associated Press on the young child that has inspired coach Laviolette:

http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/06/274344.html

-- Hurricanes' Aaron Ward answers "The Questions" on SI.COM:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/play.../questions0612/

Locate OLN in your market : http://www.olntv.com/article/view/743/?tf=footerArticles.tpl

I have to agree, it will take something big to turn the momentum around in the game & series.

Looks like the clock struck twelve for Cinderella the other night.

Oil need something, I just don't think the 'Canes are gonna crack over the next 5.5 (possible) games...

Edited by BlueSkirt

Note to OLN:

Could someone PLEASE tell Mark Messier TO LOOK AT THE GODDAMN CAMERA WHEN HE TALKS ?!?!??!!?!? :P

I thought the same thing during the first game and expect them to tell him between games but he doing the same.

He really doesn't have much to say when he speaks.

He certainly is getting a lot of press, special shows on OLN along with repeated showing of his retirement.

Note to OLN:

Could someone PLEASE tell Mark Messier TO LOOK AT THE GODDAMN CAMERA WHEN HE TALKS ?!?!??!!?!? :P

THANK YOU!!!

The only positive I can come up with is that at least the Oilers will have the next two games at home. Anyone who says "a lot of good that did the Devils :rolleyes:" will be shot.

Also, anyone think that the Cup commercial Pronger did will come back to haunt the Oilers?

WOW! All the Oiler defenders just stood and watched Stillman go around the net get the puck and backhand it in. This game is OVER!

BTW....they showed the owner in his box after that goal; was that Kid Rock in the box with him??

GO DEVILS!!

I'm not as annoyed as I thought I'd be, for a few reasons.

One I didn't expect Edmonton to win anyway, I figured the Canes won the Cup after they beat Buffalo although I thought the series would go at least six games before the events of Game 1.

Plus I've sort of accepted that the Canes are living a charmed life at this point. What with all the late goals, the injuries to other teams' players, the fortunate bounces. But that's part of it too, you have to get breaks to win and they've been a good team all year.

And also, if you blow a THREE-goal lead you flat-out don't deserve to win to begin with. And this was before Roloson got hurt so the Oilers can't blame that for losing Game 1. The Oilers really lost three games in one night which (combined with the fact that their other goalies flat-out suck anyway) is why I don't see any way for them to come back in the series, they lost when they blew the lead, they lost emotionally when Roloson got hurt and they lost the actual game in the last minute.

As for the Pronger commercial, OLN HAD to have gotten one of the Canes to do it too right? I'm sure they asked but if Pronger's the only one that did it then he's a bigger dick than I gave him credit for. It would be fitting though since Pronger got himself traded out of Hartford essentially for being immature, I suppose some leopards don't change their stripes.

Edited by Hasan4978