Elias Re-signs

Triumph

That's almost a bargain, although in the salary cap era I'm not entirely certain I can see it as such, given the length of the contract and any number of factors that can contribute to a decline in performance well before the contract ends.

Let me start by saying how amazingly happy I am that Patty's still a Devil.

I thought a lot about the cap lately. Isn't it amazing that despite all the talk about how the cap would even the playing field, give the have-nots a chance to sign players from the haves, all that stuff...it all just comes to down to where someone wants to play (Pronger) and how long they want to play there (Elias).

<JESTER>

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought a lot about the cap lately. Isn't it amazing that despite all the talk about how the cap would even the playing field, give the have-nots a chance to sign players from the haves, all that stuff...it all just comes to down to where someone wants to play (Pronger) and how long they want to play there (Elias).

But those are intangibles that small markets CAN provide. Ed Jovanovski in Pheonix, Arnott in Nashville, Elias here..... these are deals that couldn't be made in the past because Toronto, Detroit and Colorado can't afford to outbid EVERYONE on EVERYBODY anymore. So now people are looking at intangibles - security, weather, proximity to family, ability to win....

(I put weather because I think Jovonovski left wet and rainy Vancouver for warm and dry Pheonix for the same reason that David Duchovney quit X-files.)

Edited by Don

But those are intangibles that small markets CAN provide. Ed Jovanovski in Pheonix, Arnott in Nashville, Elias here..... these are deals that couldn't be made in the past because Toronto, Detroit and Colorado can't afford to outbid EVERYONE on EVERYBODY anymore. So now people are looking at intangibles - security, weather, proximity to family, ability to win....

I see your point on that. But I still say that if a player has to choose between playing for the Wild and playing for the Kings, no cap is going to make a difference.

<JESTER>

I see your point on that. But I still say that if a player has to choose between playing for the Wild and playing for the Kings, no cap is going to make a difference.

I'm not sure why one is any better than the other... I presume you are suggesting the person would pick L.A. because it is a big market. But a lot of guys have family in Minny. Not many hockey players come FROM L.A.. They get to play in the hockey capital of the U.S.A.. A lot of Canadians find L.A. overwhelming and prefer a mid-sized city like Minny.

I'd rather have used the money for Mogilny, Malakhov and McGillis for Niedermayer. We'd be a real contender then.

Though that wasn't the choice and neither was Elias OVER Niedermayer.

I'd rather have used the money for Mogilny, Malakhov and McGillis for Niedermayer. We'd be a real contender then.

Though that wasn't the choice and neither was Elias OVER Niedermayer.

mogilny wasn't a replacement for neids. he was for elias.

mcgillis and malakhov were neids replacement...and the devils still would've been short as neids would've gotten 7.5 from NJ vs. 5.3 that the M+M defensemen got. elias would probably have been lost because i'm not sure he would've taken the 6 deal with neids getting more.

good point. forgot about rafalski. and yes, i would rather neids that rafi.

but could the devils have been:

neids: 7.7

rafalski: 4.2

elias: 6

marty: 5

gomez: 5

gio: 3.5

lang: 2.8

white: 3

madden: 3

that's 40 right there. i suppose rafalski, langenbrunner, and madden would be the odd men out?

good point. forgot about rafalski. and yes, i would rather neids that rafi.

I'd rather have the guy that wanted to be here - which was Rafalski. And the Devils would not have kept him if Nieds did stay, that's why Raf was waiting around until seeing what happened; we were his first choice otherwise he would have left us high and dry irrespective of what happened with Nieds.

And I don't get why people (again) want to trade him off. Yes, Raf is UFA after this year but he's already shown a bit of loyalty in staying last year so I'm not particularly worried about him being UFA, he's not going to cost that much more to retain than what he's already making since his price is $4.2 as is - the Devils could probably sign him at $4.5 at most unless he goes UFA which I doubt he will. And oh by the way, he is one of our best defensemen.

Edited by Hasan4978

I'd rather have the guy that wanted to be here - which was Rafalski. And the Devils would not have kept him if Nieds did stay, that's why Raf was waiting around until seeing what happened; we were his first choice otherwise he would have left us high and dry irrespective of what happened with Nieds.

And I don't get why people (again) want to trade him off. Yes, Raf is UFA after this year but he's already shown a bit of loyalty in staying last year so I'm not particularly worried about him being UFA, he's not going to cost that much more to retain than what he's already making since his price is $4.2 as is - the Devils could probably sign him at $4.5 at most unless he goes UFA which I doubt he will. And oh by the way, he is one of our best defensemen.

tru dat :thumbsup: well put. I'll take the Dano type everytime over a money shark.

Edited by Masked Fan

Hey seashell.... I hadn't noticed your location before!! A fellow Haligonian!!

/me ponders if he is happy or sad that he's no longer the only Haligonian Devils fan on the board.

Last Christmas I was walking down Spring Garden Road with my Devils jacket on and some guy stopped me and pulled up both pantlegs. He had Devils logos tattooed on both legs!!! I guess there are more Devils fans back home now than when I was growing up. :)

Hey seashell.... I hadn't noticed your location before!! A fellow Haligonian!!

/me ponders if he is happy or sad that he's no longer the only Haligonian Devils fan on the board.

Last Christmas I was walking down Spring Garden Road with my Devils jacket on and some guy stopped me and pulled up both pantlegs. He had Devils logos tattooed on both legs!!! I guess there are more Devils fans back home now than when I was growing up. :)

Shut up! Seriously?! Well that is fantastic, I work right off of Spring garden actually. We've probably passed each other on Spring Garden loads of times. I agree, there are alot more Devils fans now then back in the day, it just goes to show what great taste we have. :yay:

7 years!!!!!!!!!!!

That just about makes him a Devil for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know how Lou does it. After the Brad Richards signing I thought there was no way Elias would sign for less than 7.5 million year. At an average of 6 million per season....HOW THE HELL DID HE DO THAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

It's only July and I cant wait for the season to start up again...that's the worst part of the summer...NO HOCKEY...