Elias Re-signs

Triumph

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elias took a 1 million dollar a year discount and the Devils sign him to a very long term deal and you guys don't think the 2 sides are thanking each other for working together? The Devils' thanked Elias with a lot of cash and probably the captaincy. Elias thanked the team by working with them to make a deal that was feasible, a lot of players wouldn't have bothered and just sold out to the highest bidder.

Edited by Devils731

Congrats to the Devils fans here for the re-signing of Elias.

If only the Sabres had a GM like Lou and ownership that is willing to spend.....Devils get things done. That is why they have 3 Cup trophies and the Sabres have Dixie Cups.

Kudos to Lou!

Again, Elias took less to stay unlike McKee or most players for that matter.

You haven't seen much loyalty with the exception of the two Devils. Kudos to the players.

Before we get all sentimental, let's remember that probably no other team was offering 7 years, and that there just aren't many teams out there who can afford this kind of signing. I think his worth in this crazy market is closer to a 42/6 deal, but who's got that kind of cash? If it's between Montreal, Chicago, and New Jersey, I'd hope he picked New Jersey - Montreal and Chicago haven't won a damn thing since Elias was drafted.

So really both sides got what they wanted and I agree with what PK posted - there's mutual respect.

Well in a roundabout way Elias did what Marty did, he sacrificed a little money per year to get more long-term security which I'm sure was an issue for Patrik. A win-win situation for the player and the team. Teams could (and probably did) offer more than six million a year, but I'm sure nobody else was offering seven years.

BTW two random thoughts: One, is Elias a Devil today if Nieds takes Lou's offer last year?

And two...what other team in the league could have the top goalie in the world AND a franchise forward signed at just over $11 million per year combined for six years apiece (with Elias having another year after that)? :koolaid:

Edited by Hasan4978

Well in a roundabout way Elias did what Marty did, he sacrificed a little money per year to get more long-term security which I'm sure was an issue for Patrik. A win-win situation for the player and the team. Teams could (and probably did) offer more than six million a year, but I'm sure nobody else was offering seven years.

BTW two random thoughts: One, is Elias a Devil today if Nieds takes Lou's offer last year?

And two...what other team in the league could have the top goalie in the world AND a franchise forward signed at just over $11 million per year combined for six years apiece (with Elias having another year after that)? :koolaid:

Brilliant post. :evil:

I think if nieds signs last year, we still get elias. I mean nieds would be that M +M money basically.

we also wouldnt have mcgilis on our team either.

Oof - can't agree with this. We'd be Tampa Bay North if that happened. I also don't see how signing Mogilny had anything to do with us losing Niedermayer - it didn't, and we probably would ahve done it anyway.

We'd've had 20.8M locked up in 3 players, with 24M for the 20 remaining guys. We'd be like Tampa Bay, signing Andy Delmore and seriously considering using him as their 6th defenseman. This would've meant losing Gomez and Gionta or else risk having 25.8M locked up in 4 players.

Everyone knows how i feel about this.....and i find out on my birthday!!!

BEST. PRESENT. EVER..... :)

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Btw, Anyone feel free to use my sig!!!!

EliasNewCaptSig.jpg

AND TO ALL YOU GUYS WHO STARTED DOUBTING "HE WON'T TAKE HOMETOWN DISCOUNT! BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!".......Where you at now!!!!! :D :D :D j/k.....today is a great day!!!!!

story on Sportsnet, for those of you who are sh!tting your pants its only in one or two places :boogie:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp...702_011118_5136

Elias sticks with Jersey

July 01, 2006

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (CP) -- The New Jersey Devils have locked up their star forward.

Patrik Elias, one of the most coveted free agents this off-season, signed a multi-year contract with the Devils on Saturday, Sportsnet has confirmed.

The Czech winger had 16 goals and 29 assists in 38 games last season after returning from a long battle with hepatitis.

Elias has 223 goals and 281 assists in 596 career games with the Devils

PACT WITH THE DEVILS

ELIAS SPURNS BLUESHIRTS' OFFER

By LARRY BROOKS

July 2, 2006 -- There was one player and one player alone on the free agent market worth the contractual riches of a pre-cap NHL, and that was Patrik Elias. Late last night, he listened to his heart and remained in New Jersey after hours and hours of agonizing indecision.

He listened to Lou Lamoriello, too, who gave Elias a seven-year, no-trade contract worth $6M per that kept the league's 30-year-old pre-eminent left wing from accepting more lucrative offers from both the Rangers and Blackhawks.

On the day when flawed players with marquee names were signed by desperate teams for staggering sums of money, Sather's Blueshirts were believed offering a long-term deal worth $7M per to Elias, while the Blackhawks, according to sources, were in at $7.5M per.

But Elias, who was weighing his options at his offseason home in the Czech Republic, spurned the extra cash to remain with the only NHL organization for which he's played. A two-time Cup champion, Elias is the Devils' signature skater and is all but certain to be named team captain next season.

Having signed Jamie Langenbrunner earlier in the day to a five-year deal worth $2.8M per, the Devils have nearly $35.5M committed to the 2006-07 cap of $44M that expands to $48.8M until opening day. That amount includes $7.1M to Alexander Mogilny and Vladimir Malakhov. The Devils have yet to sign Scott Gomez, Brian Gionta, Paul Martin or Colin White.

The Rangers had essentially put a freeze on business early in the afternoon in order to maintain the cap maneuverability necessary to add Elias. That cost the team the opportunity to get defenseman Jay McKee, who instead signed with St. Louis.

The Blueshirts had previously passed on defensemen Pavel Kubina, Willie Mitchell and Kim Johnsson before talks kicked into serious gear with Elias. Johnsson remains unsigned. Zdeno Chara, never a serious option, informed the team early in the day that he had no desire to reside in New York. Billy Guerin is attempting to gain a one-year, $3M deal from the Bruins.

Elias' decision leaves the door ajar for a return by Martin Rucinsky, who earlier had rejected a one-year offer from the club that was rescinded yesterday. Defenseman Karel Rachunek has signed a one-year contract worth $1.8M, but The Post has learned an anticipated three-year, $5.7 deal with Michal Rozsival has fallen through.

The Rangers did sign Carolina free agent Matt Cullen to a workable four-year, $11.5M deal to fill the vacancy created by the loss of Steve Rucchin. The 29-year-old, 6-2, 220-pound Cullen is of the north-south variety of forward the Rangers had been seeking. A strong skater with good work habits who plays both the wing and the middle, Cullen can kill penalties and play the point on the power play. Sought aggressively by both the Senators and Thrashers, he can play on either a checking or scoring unit.

Elias, however, was the prize on whom the Rangers had their eyes. After being swept in the first round of the playoffs, the Blueshirts have now lost five straight to the Devils.

larry.brooks@nypost.com

Link

---------------------------

:evil:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

im so happy right noww i dont know what to say :argh:

:clap::evil:

:boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie:

HELL YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i didnt expect to see this when i woke up, was thinking it would be a while before we heard anything.

6mill a year for one of the best forwards in the NHL is amazing.

this gives us a great chance of retaining gomer and gio now.

Does the cap go up again next year???