Elias Re-signs

Triumph

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lou better bring some moonshine & weed to whatever GM would agree to that.....

"Can we trade you a worthless player & his $3.5 million salary and a 1st round draft pick for your 7th round pick? Oh yeah, and you're responsible for paying the entire $3.5 mil, even though he'll never lace up the skates for you."

Can't see that ever happening.

No - Malakhov is retired, and Mogilny probably is too. These guys will not collect on their salary, and the Devils can work out conditions under which the other club gets draft picks + prospects based on how much these players actually collect.

triumph is citing what i brought up earlier, which, while not for certain, makes a ton of sense.

I just got back and checked TSN. I will check this thread but I think this means Gomez is likely gone either by trade (likely) or he will most likely walk next year. There is just no money for him. I heard Gretzky tried to get him twice and they are friends so he might go to phoenix. I know it's Elias and stuff but I wouldn't have given him over 6.5 a year 8.8 is nuts.

Sorry I am terrible at math and TSN put up 8.8 and I thought that was the number he signed for. Good deal hopefully they can pay Gomez what he wants.

Edited by sandman441

I just got back and checked TSN. I will check this thread but I think this means Gomez is likely gone either by trade (likely) or he will most likely walk next year. There is just no money for him. I heard Gretzky tried to get him twice and they are friends so he might go to phoenix. I know it's Elias and stuff but I wouldn't have given him over 6.5 a year 8.8 is nuts.

stf..up and just enjoy the moment!

Great stuff from the Philly Forum (Orange and Black):

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley

Now they're more or less the same club with $42M invested in a player on the downside of his production curve.

Yeah, Elias looked kinda washed up in the playoffs.

He also averaged 1.18 points/game in the regular season (the highest production rate in his career).

__________________________________________________ ____________

You guys are hilarious. I hate the Devils more than any team in the league, but people in glass houses shouldn't throw boulders. Lou has three Cups in the last 11 years to our ZERO. Seems to me, he has a pretty good grasp on how to build a team. He's run hold-outs out of town on a few occasions, and every time he's had doubters, only to win another Cup. I'd say--to my chagrin--he's made out alright. We have enough problems in-house without trying to point the finger at our biggest rivals, whom still made it further in the palyoffs than we did this year.

Something was telling me to keep checking the news on my phone today. This is such a great feeling to have him locked up for soo long. (And not paying the max, either!)

I can't wait to see what lies ahead in terms of trades and such. Gotta fix the cap problem!! It might be time to get my Brylin jersey a permanent home on the wall. :saddevil: But ya do what ya gotta do - Devils in 2007!

Congrats to the Devils fans here for the re-signing of Elias.

If only the Sabres had a GM like Lou and ownership that is willing to spend.....Devils get things done. That is why they have 3 Cup trophies and the Sabres have Dixie Cups.

Kudos to Lou!

I just saw it on sportsnet, but no story about it. :noclue:

Relax.

I have never seen a signing get retracted by TSN, ever. Sportsnet has their own sources, perhaps there is no writer on duty right now other than a paen who updates the tracker list.

He's signed.

There is a story on RDS as well.

" Oubliez Elias

Edited by ghdi

My respect for Elias just went through the roof. His signing for a discount is a big thank you to the organization and in turn to us as fans also.

Before we get all sentimental, let's remember that probably no other team was offering 7 years, and that there just aren't many teams out there who can afford this kind of signing. I think his worth in this crazy market is closer to a 42/6 deal, but who's got that kind of cash? If it's between Montreal, Chicago, and New Jersey, I'd hope he picked New Jersey - Montreal and Chicago haven't won a damn thing since Elias was drafted.

So really both sides got what they wanted and I agree with what PK posted - there's mutual respect.

Edited by Triumph