DEVS TALK TO DUNHAM

Elias26

LINK

DEVS TALK TO DUNHAM

By MARK (N)Єverson

July 28, 2006 -- A battle to be Martin Brodeur's backup is brewing. This one stands to be decided at the bargaining table when Lou Lamoriello decides which free agent to sign - the incumbent or a predecessor.

The Post has learned the Devils are talking to former Ranger Mike Dunham about returning for a second stint in New Jersey at the same time they're courting Scott Clemmensen, their No. 2 last season.

A signing will probably wait until Lamoriello unravels some of his salary cap snarls.

Now 34, Dunham suffered an injury-wracked season with Atlanta last year, 8-5-2 in only 17 games with a team-best 2.77 goal-against.

Clemmensen, a former NCAA champ, went 3-4-2 in 13 games for New Jersey last year after playing six (3-1) NHL games the previous two seasons.

Dunham played 100 games for the Rangers in 2002-03 and 03-04, going 19-17-5 the first year, coming from Nashville, and 16-30-6 his second season on Broadway.

In 1996-97, the Devils famously played Dunham for stints as short as two seconds to push him past the 25-game threshold and prevent him from becoming an unrestricted free agent. An arbitrator ruled that the Devils could keep Dunham's rights, but warned that no other team had better ever try that tactic again.

The Devils lost Dunham to Nashville in the expansion draft in 1998, after he went 13-12-4 in two years as Brodeur's backup.

In 1996-97, the Devils famously played Dunham for stints as short as two seconds to push him past the 25-game threshold and prevent him from becoming an unrestricted free agent. An arbitrator ruled that the Devils could keep Dunham's rights, but warned that no other team had better ever try that tactic again.

:rofl: That's stinkin' hilarious! I love this team!

lol yeah, I'd let Parise play. Brody ain't going to let anyone warm his crease long.

Boy, Dunham is the suk! Those numbers all blow. Lou could probably get him cheap because of it. Though I think Clem would be better and cheaper still.

lol yeah, I'd let Parise play. Brody ain't going to let anyone warm his crease long.

Boy, Dunham is the suk! Those numbers all blow. Lou could probably get him cheap because of it. Though I think Clem would be better and cheaper still.

If anyone it should be Doyle, not Parise.

Maybe it's money thing or a trade thing? Dunham is garbage, yeah? and Clemmer deserves better than backup for no $$. Back up is a place we can scrimp. :noclue: or it's all BS :evil:

Clemmenson felt confident he'd be able to keep his backup role (espeically with Ari gone). Theres been unwarranted speculation that the devs are seeking a verteran backup. (because they have cap to waste?), which is the only reason this article made it to print I think.

Okay, wise guys, so you make Doyle your backup in NJ. I assume, then, that you'd elevate Jordan Parise to starter in Lowell. What are you gonna do about a backup down there?

I say if Clemmensen's willing to stick around at the minimum he's been making, keep him.

NO NO NO DUNHAM. Clemmy is an excellent backup and shows tons of promise. Remember that save on Leetch in OT? For a rookie to be that poised and confident, its something you don't want to let go of. I know he's not thrilled with the fact that he only plays a handful of games a year, but if he sticks around he will have the starting spot when Brodeur's rafter laundry is dry and he will have learned from the best in the league.

NO NO NO DUNHAM. Clemmy is an excellent backup and shows tons of promise. Remember that save on Leetch in OT? For a rookie to be that poised and confident, its something you don't want to let go of. I know he's not thrilled with the fact that he only plays a handful of games a year, but if he sticks around he will have the starting spot when Brodeur's rafter laundry is dry and he will have learned from the best in the league.

He could follow in a Legace/Turco roll...

Edited by aylbert