Zubrus believes he's done in Buffalo

msweet

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212104&hubname=nhl

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - Dainius Zubrus anticipates becoming a free agent this weekend, a move that would end the veteran forward's brief stint with the Buffalo Sabres.

"That's certainly the direction it looks like it's headed," his agent, Jerrold Colton said Wednesday.

With the NHL's free agency period starting at noon Sunday, Colton declined to say whether he's had any talks with the Sabres.

"Certainly, these things can get done if both sides are motivated," Colton said. "But at this point, we're anticipating that Dainius will hit the market."

The Sabres have bigger concerns beyond Zubrus, with the team standing to lose co-captains, Chris Drury and Daniel Briere, to free agency.

The Sabres have finally begun negotiations with both players, and did make Briere an offer late Wednesday evening, Buffalo's WGRZ-TV reported. It's not clear what the offer is for a player seeking a minimum four-year deal, and expected to command a US$6 million-a-year salary.

Briere finished 10th in the NHL with a career-high 95 points (32 goals, 63 assists).

Briere's agent Pat Brisson declined comment, while Sabres general manager Darcy Regier has declined interview requests this week.

Drury's agent, Mark Witkin, has also declined to discuss the status of talks involving his client. Drury, who scored a career-high 69 points (37 goals, 32 assists), is projected to double the $3.15 million he made last season.

Zubrus made $1.85 million in the final year of his contract last season. Buffalo acquired him in a deal with Washington at the trade deadline in February. A 10-year veteran, he had four goals and eight points in 19 games with the Sabres, and finished with 24 goals and 60 points - both career-highs - in 79 games.

Zubrus added eight assists in 15 playoff games, but missed Buffalo's final postseason game - a 3-2 overtime loss to Ottawa in Game 5 the Eastern Conference finals - because of a knee injury.

"He loved being with Buffalo and is still open to that possibility," Colton said. "But we're very confident that there will be a lot of interest in him out there."

He only made $1.85 million last year, if we could sign him for 2 years at $3.75mill ($1.875mill per) he would be a really solid additon to the team.

I think he could play on the 1st line:

Elias/Zubris/Gionta

Parise/Zajac/Langs

Pando/Madden/Clarkson

Brylin/Viuhkola/interchangable.

That is still a competative lineup

That would give us money to add a solid D man

Rafalski/Stuart

White/Martin

Green/whoever stays

I agree, but unfortunately I don't think he'd sign for $1.875 mil per. The losers of the Gomez/Briere/Drury/Smyth sweepstakes are going to throw their cash at the next best thing, i.e. Zubrus, Blake, Nylander, Guerin, etc. I'd be willing to bet some team will overpay him to the tune of $3 million+ per year.

Well it depends what Lou wants to do, but I think a 2.75-3.25 (maybe with average of 3 cap number) could be a good deal for Zubrus. I have a hard time believing he'll get a ton more than that. We'll see if he wants to come try and win.
Edited by Triumph

He's good, and he's a bargain. I'd say he'll get a good look from Lou. If Lou talks to him and likes his character, he'll sign him. If the guy is a prick, Lou will move on to the next guy.

Lou is the man and seems to nail team chemistry.

All hail Lou! :hail::koolaid: Feel the love!!

Because he has been in the league for 10 years with everyone enamored by his size and "alleged" talent and he has been nothing but a huge disappointment?.

Because we have guys that can put 40 points and Lou can find a third line player for a lot less money.

Simply put, he is not worth it

Let his fifth team be disappointed with him. I would rather give the roster space to someone who cares.

manta thinks the devils won't sign a UFA at all - they'll somehow magically get a 1st line center out of their awful minor league system, or a 2nd line LW will materialize out of thin air.

zubrus was very good for buffalo in the playoffs playing on a checking line. he can play any line, any position (sound familiar?). he's got size and can fight for pucks in the corner (this won't sound familiar). with zubrus and zajac down the middle, we'd have two formidable forechecking presences - and clarkson's pretty good too, if he gets faster.

He's not a center.

Sure, he might be listed as one. But I've seen enough of Zubi covering the Caps for the last two seasons to tell you that the guy plays in the middle, but he's not a center. Doesn't manage the ice well, doesn't make his teammates all that better. He's got a nose for the net, though, and that's why I'd take him as a second-line winger with some size:

Elias-Parise-Gionta

Zubrus-Zajac-Langs

Not a natural fit, but I think a player like Zubrus could do well with that combo -- and hey, he'd go to the net when Langer misses it.

<JESTER>

manta thinks the devils won't sign a UFA at all - they'll somehow magically get a 1st line center out of their awful minor league system, or a 2nd line LW will materialize out of thin air.

zubrus was very good for buffalo in the playoffs playing on a checking line. he can play any line, any position (sound familiar?). he's got size and can fight for pucks in the corner (this won't sound familiar). with zubrus and zajac down the middle, we'd have two formidable forechecking presences - and clarkson's pretty good too, if he gets faster.

...with zubrus and zajac down the middle, we'd have two formidable forechecking presences ...

You are correct. Playing the UFA is a recipe for failure, espeically when we are already struggling with the salary cap. I think Lou has learned his lesson from the 3M"s that free agency is the wrong option.

I could see Lou swinging a trade for someone like Conroy if Gomez goes elsewhere, but I don't think he is foolish enough to sign a player like Zubrus, who you basically described as Rassmussen for several million dollars more than neccessary.

Edited by Triumph