Elias' Comments

DevilzFan

"It's great to have Scotty recognized in this building ... but at the same time it had nothing to do with our game. This is our own team now, different team."

-- New Jersey forward Patrik Elias.

http://www.nhl.com/overnight/index.html

Am I the only one taking that as a really snide remark?

Maybe I'm just really low on Elias lately, but just seems like he's turning into quite the little ***. I mean, Scott's a guy who's done more for this organization that you ever will.

"It's great to have Scotty recognized in this building ... but at the same time it had nothing to do with our game. This is our own team now, different team."

Maybe I'm just really low on Elias lately, but just seems like he's turning into quite the little ***. I mean, Scott's a guy who's done more for this organization that you ever will.

Yeah its best left unsaid

I don't find the remark offensive in any way. I assume Elias was asked whether the ceremony affected the teams sluggish start to the game.

Either way I think a team should feel they are their own entity and I don't think Stevens would take offense to that mindset either.

I don't find the remark offensive in any way. I assume Elias was asked whether the ceremony affected the teams sluggish start to the game.

Either way I think a team should feel they are their own entity and I don't think Stevens would take offense to that mindset either.

Didn't they bring Stevens in before some big game?

Elias cried at Stevens' jersey retirement. I think he has incredible respect for Scotty. But Scott Stevens isn't coming back to play. Atheletes are supposed to lack sentimentality.

I agree. And as Tri mentioned Patty was VERY emotional at Scotty's ceremony, so it isn't a slight against THE captain, but a message that they Devils can't live in the past and have to make their own marks.

Elias is right.

(btw I LOVE SCOTTY. TO DEATH.)

But this IS a new team, and Scotty is the last guy in the world to make a big deal out of old news. I'm glad they recognized him but there was a game to win and that should and was the focus.

Edited by ev0lemi

I'm diggin' Elias' candid remarks lately. Between this one and admitting to Fischler that it did hurt to lose the C, I'm gaining even more respect for him.

:boogie: I love when Elias was interviewed a few weeks ago before the rangers played at the Rock, when asked about Gomez coming back to play in Jersey for the first time, he said he hoped the crowd boo's him.........awesome

Geez, a lot of people here like to invent hidden meanings for what others say.

Stevens himself was commenting about how the Devils have to be their own team now during the second intermission when Dano brought it up. A complete non-issue.

Completely agree. I don't think it showed any disrespect. Some people are just lloking for a fight, and have to accept the fact that the "Golden Age" of Stevens, Dano, and Neids is over. This is a new thing built on those core principles. If it is important to Sutter and the team to establish their own identity in order to succeed - let them - without gaving to genuflect every time the name Stevens or Dano comes up. I think they just want to establish that just because those guys are gone doesn't mean that the winning will stop as many in the general hockey public were forecasting!!!:rofl:

I wouldn't be too sure about that, Indeed Scott Stevens was a very influencial part of the Devils, but hockey is a team game, there are a lot of other factors, I love Scott stevens, and I was crying when he had his retirement ceremony, but if you think that Elias can't do as much for the Devils, you might want to look at the history.

Elias scored the GWG in game 7 against the Flyers in the 2000 ECF, Elias has also scored countless OT GWG for the Devils.

Look at the turnaround the Devils had after Elias came back from hep-A.

I'm getting a little sick and tired of some Devils fans dogging Patrik Elias, he is a brilliant player, and we need to support him no-matter-what.

There has been talk of #30 being retired, which is a no-brainer, but I also think #26 will be retired too.

Elias is a career Devil, and by the time he's done, he will be the Devils best scorer in franchise history.

Let's support the guy, our #26 is better than the #26 in Tampa.

The comment did catch my eye when I first saw it in the AP article as something perhaps slightly odd to say, but like everybody else, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. He was completely right in what he said. The roster consists of some very good hockey players; none of which are Scott Stevens.

Even if taken out of context, I think it's true.

The Stevens era is over and now it is time for this current team to make its mark on the world, with all-new heroes. I think this last night closes the chapter. If they have a Stevens night next year and the year after, it would seem to be saying to the fans "come to the game and remember when we were great". I don't think the Devils should continue to celebrate the past because it takes away from the current team.

There is a fine line to walk between "giving respect to one of the organizations greatest players" and "living in the past". So far the Devils have done a decent job of doing the former, but anymore of these nights this year or next might lead to the latter.

I don't want to be like the old Leafs fan at the retirement home talking about how great Bobby Baun was.

Even if taken out of context, I think it's true.

The Stevens era is over and now it is time for this current team to make its mark on the world, with all-new heroes. I think this last night closes the chapter. If they have a Stevens night next year and the year after, it would seem to be saying to the fans "come to the game and remember when we were great". I don't think the Devils should continue to celebrate the past because it takes away from the current team.

There is a fine line to walk between "giving respect to one of the organizations greatest players" and "living in the past". So far the Devils have done a decent job of doing the former, but anymore of these nights this year or next might lead to the latter.

I don't want to be like the old Leafs fan at the retirement home talking about how great Bobby Baun was.

I agree with this. In fact, Stevens and Daneyko alluded to this in an interview between periods with Steve 'Lets Go Rangers' Cangialosi. They basically said that the team needs its own identity and its own leaders, and that is finally starting to develop, especially with the emergence of Parise etc.

I also agree with the 'not wanting to be like an old Leafs fan' comment. Thats why I felt the whole Al Arbour thing the Islanders did last month was ridiculous. It was a sad excuse to raise another banner and to once again have an excuse to play more video from the early 80's.

Geez, I'd hate it to be 2027 and all I can talk about is 'remember 2003? We won the cup!'

I don't know :noclue: I think I'd be OK with it if in 2040 they had Sutter come back and coach a game, all the while saying "Hey how cool was it in 2008-12 (giggle - yeah it said 07 :giggle: ) when we won 5 Cups in a row?"

I'd be cool honoring Scott Stevens, Dano, Marty, say, Old timers night, around 20 years from now... just not every year leading up to it.

Edited by Pepperkorn