First to Third

PaDevsFan

Oh I agree Sutter's not biting the dust nor should he. As much as I want the man to shake the Devil mindset of playing Marty till he drops and get rid of his blind spot with one John Oduya, he (Sutter) is going to be here for years; not months - that much is clear especially after what Vanderbeek said about talking to Sutter for two years before he took the job.

If these kind of 'efforts' do keep up, it may get to a point sooner rather than later where Lou has to trade key pieces the way he did with Arnott and Sykora to remake the team.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My thought is that SOMEONE (Langs, Marty, Madden, White) needs to make this team accountable. Someone needs to be a leader. Of course there were bad nights in 2000 and 2001, when NJ was one of the best in the league, but could you tell me Stevens or Daneyko or somebody would have been satisfied with the efforts against NYI, Florida, Montreal and Pit? Not a chance. That wouldn't have flied, especially 4 times in 3 weeks.

I was really hoping Langs was going to take the reigns since he played under both Stevens and Nieuwendyk, 2 great leaders.

This is an interesting thread....

Oh please. You guys have been conditioned by years of Devils hockey to think that heart = winning.

The team simply didn't have it for much of last night. That's what happens to average teams - some nights, they don't look together, and they lose. That's just how things go in the course of a hockey season.

It's the coach's job to minimize how often this happens, but it's going to happen. The team has to play better, and they will. But you're not going to get a 'consistent' effort 82 games of the year - I don't care what team you've got. Some nights it isn't there.

Edited by DevilinLA

You know, Sutter could do a better job too, his last two games were nearly as bad as the team's.

He's morphing into an angry Julien. The players *loved* Claude. I'm sure they'd love a Claude that screams at them all the time, so much more.

I like Sutter, but when things go wrong, you need to change it up on the ice a tiny bit. How can Patty play so much in that game and not come into contact with Gio or Parise. That's bad. Too much box + 1, not enough forecheck.

Sutter's drinking the Kool-Aid, I mean, he bashed everything about the Devils on his way in the door, and now he's doing the same exact stuff that doesn't work.

If the players are tuning him out, it could be a case that they think he's a loudmouthed lightweight. Time to prove to them he's not. It's a two-way street. If we roll into a ball again and lose another game to the Rangers, I'm going to get very concerned about Sutter. Because if he's not a good coach, he's not going to be around long enough to be kicked upstairs, and we really, really, really need this to happen. If it's Lou and Lou only, I'm scared to think who his replacement will be.

My main selling point on Sutter was that he was his own guy and can run a hockey team. Being a good coach would help him do the former for us.

BTW, blaming the Zajac line for Oduya was a big mistake. If you wonder how he could be losing the players and them tuning him out, it's things like this.

This is an interesting thread....

Tri's got it right.There are a lot of people here complaining beacuse this season has the potential to be unsuccessful as far as the playoff run. Then, everyone goes invoking the sacred names of Stevens and Danyeko and such.

1.)Last Reminder: This is not a cup year...and may not even be a playoff year...you might have to deal with it!

The simple fact of the matter is this team is NOT EVEN CLOSE talent, veteran, or skill-wise to any of those teams. Don't be fooled by the names on the jerseys. If there wasn't a #30 in goal, a Brent Sutter, you'd have a better chance at comparing these guys to a pre-1995 Devils team.

The fact of the matter is many of us got swept up into a winning streak believing that we had defied the critics and we were better than we actualy are. Luck helped a lot, and most of the guys had a full jar of confidence and were playing up to their potential, when a lot of other teams weren't. Now we are seeing the seams again in this team. If the Rags were meeting their potential...we would be (and still may be) fighting with Ted Noaln for last place.

2.)LEADERSHIP?....hmmm...even the best leaders or coaches can only inspire their players to play at the max of their potential and skills, and not 82 games consistently...not even Scott Stevens. I'm not gonna fault Jamie for not turning into Stevens in his 1st season as Captain...especially when he is not even on the ice.

The very fact that we are still "competing" for a playoff spot is excellent for this team this year. That said, I'm not suggesting that we should expect mediocrity...but that we shouldn't be astounded when it happens.

3.)PLAY 60 MINUTES....HARD I hear this thrown around a lot with no real soloutions for motivating a lot of guys who already have their name on the cup, some more than once. What is Marty gonna say that makes a whole lot of difference at this point, IF watching him keep them in the game night after night is having 0 effect.

4.)PIT- w/Crosby is most definately a more "talented" team. Those Dev fans that can't accept this, I love ya, but you are in trouble. What do we become w/o Brodeur? If MArty went down for 6-8 weeks would we rise to the challege or be completely demoralized? This board would light up like a suicide hotline center during the holiday season. Malkin has shown that he is willing to step up. Conklin is not a "joke" as some suggest, he may not be Marty in career, but he is damn motivated to fight for his new job and finally get his name on a cup...sounds like hunger to me...might be enough to up him to a successful goalie for now...

How do you get a team to keep trying harder...really?

Edited by PaDevsFan

You know, this is very true. Sutter needs to accept responsibility also. I think he has the tools to be a fantastic coach, but needs to be less stubborn. Also, the future Lou replacement shows that Sutter is in for the long run. I wouldn't be amazed to see Lou retire when Marty does. (Marty mentioned in his book that he agreed to the cheap contract extension as long as Lou promised to stick around at least till the contract was up.)
Edited by DevilinLA

Last reminder??? Please show me where one person in this thread thought the Devils were a Cup Team or that this is going to be a Cup yr???? - Check the posts in December

But PLayoffs?? How can you say this may not be a playoff yr and be satisfied with that??

Of course I'm not happy or satisfied, but it is what it is. You can't simply stare at a car with three wheels and a flat tire and simply "will it" to move, or say the car doesn't want it enough?. The pieces just aren't there right now...they could be in the future. You gotta trust that the AAA is gonna come in the future and bring you a new tire.

Take out Marty and recalculate these equations:

You do not think we are better than: Washington - close

We are certainly better than those teams, and we are also more talented than Boston - still close, and the Isles, and I still feel we are more talented than Philly from top to bottom. So that being said it has nothing to do with being "conditioned, or programmed" It has to do with an under achieving team that is certainly good enough to make the playoffs, and even win a round, but has shown miserable efforts the last week or so. they need to either find a leader, or some guys may be shippin out .

Please show me how much more talented Pitt is even with Crosby?? They have 2 studs, show me where else they are so much more talented??? Is their Defense any better than ours?? Is their Goalie?? IS their 3rd line better than a healthy Madden and Pando and who ever you want to put there?? Yes with Crosby in they have 2 of the leagues best players, but that doesnt make them " a better team than the Devils

Edited by DevilinLA

i think if you send Brookbank down he can get claimed on waivers... after all that's how we got him from Columbus anyway

but then again the whole defense corps now if just average to bad at best of late

just not something we're used to seeing :noclue:

the panic comments of OH-MY-GAWD-WE-ARE-THE-SUXXOR-AND-WILL-NEVER-SEE -THE-PLAYOFFS-AGAIN

....nice!!! B )

I wish I could see what you see but I just can't....I'm impressed w/PIT so far given how much media hype ha sgone into Crosby, and everyone is watching them to see what happens. The expectations for them are really high and that creates a lot of pressure. Philly, unfortunately, has also made quite a rebound and will only get stronger despite there jinx with us.

I'm not saying we'll never make it to the playoffs, but just also that it could happen....begin panic threads now...

These 4 pages took a while to get through. Good thread though. It seems like some people think the team is not working hard enough while others think the team lacks talent. I'm kind of in the middle.

This team should make the playoffs. I really don't think there is any excuse not to. They might not be the best team talent wise in this league but there is no way they should not be among the top 8 come April. The forwards can be a bit streaky but aside from that there are some pretty good players on this team, when they are healthy of course. The defense leaves a lot to be desired but we also have the best goalie in the world playing for us. For those of you who don't think Marty is the best, well then he is #2. Either way, he makes the D that much better.

To me, these last few losses have nothing to do with lack of talent. Thats a bullsh*t excuse. Pitt was playing without their best player last night and had a host of other injuries. Florida and the Isles have more talent then the Devils? Not a chance. Montreal is pretty decent but the Devs just shat the bed in that third period against them. I believe they are trying but it's a long season and they have kind of hit a lull. Sutter even said it himself. The attention to detail is not there and it's been a big problem especially the last couple of weeks.

I don't think anybody is fooled into thinking these guys can win the Cup. They can play with any team at times but the only problem is that they can't keep it up on a consistent basis. They pretty much have to be firing on all cylinders to win games, but that's hard to do. For some other teams, like Detroit for example, it's not like that. They're stacked throughout the entire line up and they can get away with not playing to their potential. But it is what it is I guess. Whatever the case, this team should make the playoffs. I'm not expecting much should they get there but there really is no excuse not to get in when you consider some of the other teams in the conference they will be battling with. Just my two cents.

Edited by SickMan

Need some more energy.. Asham/Rupp/Pelley combined dont stir enough 'successful' energy as Janssen does.. I think the best game to have next is vs the Rangers, a team we haven't beaten and Sutter will hang himself if we dont beat them this time.. Plus Cam back in the lineup and stuff.. I dunno, i just think its the perfect game to re-bound after that game vs the Pens.. Considering Oduya's mistake, I would say Sutter will dress Greene over him.. If he scratches someone for Janssen I would think it to be Asham

>>BTW i did not see the game i just saw the highlights from NHL.com (had a HS game)

Edited by nmigliore

Need some more energy.. Asham/Rupp/Pelley combined dont stir enough 'successful' energy as Janssen does.. I think the best game to have next is vs the Rangers, a team we haven't beaten and Sutter will hang himself if we dont beat them this time.. Plus Cam back in the lineup and stuff.. I dunno, i just think its the perfect game to re-bound after that game vs the Pens.. Considering Oduya's mistake, I would say Sutter will dress Greene over him.. If he scratches someone for Janssen I would think it to be Asham

>>BTW i did not see the game i just saw the highlights from NHL.com (had a HS game)

To me, these last few losses have nothing to do with lack of talent. Thats a bullsh*t excuse. Pitt was playing without their best player last night and had a host of other injuries. Florida and the Isles have more talent then the Devils? Not a chance. Montreal is pretty decent but the Devs just shat the bed in that third period against them. I believe they are trying but it's a long season and they have kind of hit a lull. Sutter even said it himself. The attention to detail is not there and it's been a big problem especially the last couple of weeks.
Edited by Triumph

Please take the time to read this, I think I actually make a few good points...

I see a lot of arguing here so I'm just going to throw in my opinion and let you discuss.

We SHOULD very well know that the Devils are a mediocre team that might not even be in playoff contention without Marty. Because of him, the Devils can compete every night and against everybody. If Marty has a bad night, so do the Devils.

But Marty is Marty. This team right know has to rely on the consistency of it's goal scorers.

I see a lot of people saying "Parise only played well during the nine game winning streak!"

In fact, it's almost the other way around. Parise scored goals, so the Devils didn't have to rely on Marty so much night in and night out. If Zach, Zajac, Elias, Gionta, and Zubrus turn on at the same time, this team would be GOLD.

Right now, because like I said Marty gives the team a chance every night, its the ability to play a 60 minute game that the Devils lack.

Look at their last three losses: Florida (blew a 1-0 lead lost 2-1)

Montreal (blew a 3-1 lead lost 4-3)

Pittsburgh (blew 1-0 and 2-1 leads and lost 4-2)

These games weren't lost by Marty, they weren't the effect caused by a few mistakes. The team GIVES THESE GAMES AWAY. Without the likes of Stevens, Niedermayer, Daneyko, and Rafalski, the Devils can no longer sit on small leads and wind the clock down.

As far as trades go, DEFENSE! The Devils will score goals. Acquiring a goal scorer, a good one, means we are going to have to give up a valuable part. We will be right back where we started. Solidifying the defense will take some of the pressure off of the offense.

That's something for me to say defense lol because I LOVE goal scoring. Adding solid defense will take the defensive pressure off the forwards a little bit leaving it to people like Madden, Pando, Clarkson, and the 4th line, whoever the hell is playing each night. The ZEG line and PZL lines should concentrate on scoring goals. We've seen in Philadelphia, they sure as hell can get that done.

IF you took the time to read this, thank you :-), if not, I don't blame you I don't like reading long posts either. Good day everyone.

As far as trades go, DEFENSE! The Devils will score goals. Acquiring a goal scorer, a good one, means we are going to have to give up a valuable part. We will be right back where we started. Solidifying the defense will take some of the pressure off of the offense.

That's something for me to say defense lol because I LOVE goal scoring. Adding solid defense will take the defensive pressure off the forwards a little bit leaving it to people like Madden, Pando, Clarkson, and the 4th line, whoever the hell is playing each night. The ZEG line and PZL lines should concentrate on scoring goals. We've seen in Philadelphia, they sure as hell can get that done.

These 4 pages took a while to get through. Good thread though. It seems like some people think the team is not working hard enough while others think the team lacks talent. I'm kind of in the middle.

This team should make the playoffs. I really don't think there is any excuse not to. They might not be the best team talent wise in this league but there is no way they should not be among the top 8 come April. The forwards can be a bit streaky but aside from that there are some pretty good players on this team, when they are healthy of course. The defense leaves a lot to be desired but we also have the best goalie in the world playing for us. For those of you who don't think Marty is the best, well then he is #2. Either way, he makes the D that much better.

I don't think anybody is fooled into thinking these guys can win the Cup. They can play with any team at times but the only problem is that they can't keep it up on a consistent basis. They pretty much have to be firing on all cylinders to win games, but that's hard to do. For some other teams, like Detroit for example, it's not like that. They're stacked throughout the entire line up and they can get away with not playing to their potential. But it is what it is I guess. Whatever the case, this team should make the playoffs. I'm not expecting much should they get there but there really is no excuse not to get in when you consider some of the other teams in the conference they will be battling with. Just my two cents.