Brodeur makes change to familiar mask design

BCdevil

just a side thought here

Arnott and Suckora were traded because Lou thought that line no matter how good it was was acting like they were greater and above the team.....

not that I am saying Lou should think of it (though i am starting to wonder if elite goaltending is overrated in the current NHL... look at the Cup Finalists post lockout and look at their goalies.... it's Cam Ward and a bunch of stiffs)... but I'm wondering if Marty is starting to toe the line of being above the team for his own gains

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 and Winner. This is exactly how he should have done it, if he wanted to add a logo for himself. What the hell happend to this Lou comment that was made recently regarding the 3rd Jerseys:

"Your logo is something you should be proud of as an organization. You want your players to be proud of that. When we start putting players names in the front of the jersey and the logo's on the back, that is the day we will get a third jersey."

Is this just the case for 3rd Jerseys and doesnt apply to Marty and his helmet? Mr. MB 30??

Agreed, that is a much nicer way of doing it. In fact, thats my background on my comp now.

But, Marty IS the Devils. If it wasn't for Marty and Scotty bringing the team to respectability, there may not even BE a New Jersey Devils anymore. He has stayed here for less money than he could have gotten anywhere else on several occasions (including after the 1995 season when he fired his agent and talked with Lou one-on-one).

If he feels a need to promote what could be a very historic season, so be it. We all know the NHL couldn't care less since he isn't Crosby or from Detroit. I mean, he won 48 games a few years ago with little fanfare.

Most goalies since the painted mask began have had personalized helmets. Why when it happens in Jersey is it such a big deal? Only in Jersey do we care more about the helmet than the fact that HE COULD BE THE WINNINGEST GOALIE IN NHL HISTORY BEFORE 2009!

just a side thought here

Arnott and Suckora were traded because Lou thought that line no matter how good it was was acting like they were greater and above the team.....

not that I am saying Lou should think of it (though i am starting to wonder if elite goaltending is overrated in the current NHL... look at the Cup Finalists post lockout and look at their goalies.... it's Cam Ward and a bunch of stiffs)... but I'm wondering if Marty is starting to toe the line of being above the team for his own gains

JS Gigpads, MAF and Osgood aren't stiffs. (MAF played about as well as you could expect a losing goalie on an overmatched team to play) Emery and the 400 Oilers goalies, yeah.

Some of the stuff being toyed with in this "oh no, he's got a new mask" threads go well beyond the point of ridiculous. Look at what you're suggesting, I know it's a non-suggestion suggestion, but a suggestion nonetheless.

Let me let everyone in on a secret. The reason the Devils won was not the regressive college style cult team over individual thing.

Here's why the Devils won. We got handed Scott Stevens, fleeced the Leafs out of what could have been Scott Niedermayer for them, got Brodeur in the middle of the 1st round (steal of 10 lifetimes), drafted well, and built a farm system full of young players *who couldn't leave if they wanted to*. That army of indentured servants was huge, even if they did get out, you got another indentured servant for them, or better yet, star vets like Mogs and Gilmour... who amazingly, were allowed to wear numbers that went outside of the Lou 1-30 (except for backup goalie) system.

The other stuff was secondary. If we move all of that to the forefront and ignore the real reasons why what happened happened, we're going to be a farce in future. Like the Raiders without the dysfunction, since the "concept" doesn't allow it.

JS Gigpads, MAF and Osgood aren't stiffs. (MAF played about as well as you could expect a losing goalie on an overmatched team to play) Emery and the 400 Oilers goalies, yeah.

Some of the stuff being toyed with in this "oh no, he's got a new mask" threads go well beyond the point of ridiculous. Look at what you're suggesting, I know it's a non-suggestion suggestion, but a suggestion nonetheless.

Let me let everyone in on a secret. The reason the Devils won was not the regressive college style cult team over individual thing.

Here's why the Devils won. We got handed Scott Stevens, fleeced the Leafs out of what could have been Scott Niedermayer for them, got Brodeur in the middle of the 1st round (steal of 10 lifetimes), drafted well, and built a farm system full of young players *who couldn't leave if they wanted to*. That army of indentured servants was huge, even if they did get out, you got another indentured servant for them, or better yet, star vets like Mogs and Gilmour... who amazingly, were allowed to wear numbers that went outside of the Lou 1-30 (except for backup goalie) system.

The other stuff was secondary. If we move all of that to the forefront and ignore the real reasons why what happened happened, we're going to be a farce in future. Like the Raiders without the dysfunction, since the "concept" doesn't allow it.

I hope Parise turns out to be the steal of this next 10 years and bring us some cups.

If he feels a need to promote what could be a very historic season, so be it. We all know the NHL couldn't care less since he isn't Crosby or from Detroit. I mean, he won 48 games a few years ago with little fanfare.

Most goalies since the painted mask began have had personalized helmets. Why when it happens in Jersey is it such a big deal? Only in Jersey do we care more about the helmet than the fact that HE COULD BE THE WINNINGEST GOALIE IN NHL HISTORY BEFORE 2009!

My vote for Winner, +1, ditto, and what he said.

Don't start me on Jiggy Fraud :P

Osgood was terrible in his prime, that team wins Cups in SPITE of him

Goalies were not drafted high until the Islanders went crazy about that with DiPo and Luongo

and no.. we INSISTED on Scott Stevens... not "got handed" him, it's all part of holding on for what you want and making good moves to get it... I kinda think being the guy who made the right moves MIGHT have had a little to do with it sir :koolaid:

and you name me the team that doesn't win because they get talent and hold on to it... um... duh??

Don't start me on Jiggy Fraud :P

Osgood was terrible in his prime, that team wins Cups in SPITE of him

Goalies were not drafted high until the Islanders went crazy about that with DiPo and Luongo

and no.. we INSISTED on Scott Stevens... not "got handed" him, it's all part of holding on for what you want and making good moves to get it... I kinda think being the guy who made the right moves MIGHT have had a little to do with it sir :koolaid:

and you name me the team that doesn't win because they get talent and hold on to it... um... duh??

Where in there did I bash Lou, he's obviously the person that assembled the talent. But that is why we won, not this cult sh!t. And we are finally starting to get there again, at least this year we can take pride in a Lowell roster that isn't laden with NHL unemployment office refugees.

We did get handed Stevens, though, because that compensation FA system might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It would be like the Red Wings signing Hossa and then being forced to give the Pens Zetterberg.

What I am talking about is bashing Marty because of the mask, going past the point of bashing him and suggesting we should cut ties, is ridiculous. HE is why we are where we are now, and he's pretty much the last thing standing to indentify this team with the old teams that were great, and he has to play the best hockey of his career to keep us afloat, contrasted with 2001, where we were in the 7th game of the Cup Finals with him playing some of the WORST. Give the guy some freaking respect. And instead of asking why he's promoting himself, ask why the team isn't promoting HIM. I understand team above individual, but the individual is about to do something historic and they just want to treat it like they would if Johnny Oduya scored his 25th career goal some day.

Get rid of him and see where we go, that's where the Raiders without the dysfunction comes in.

Edited by maxpower

Where in there did I bash Lou, he's obviously the person that assembled the talent. But that is why we won, not this cult sh!t. And we are finally starting to get there again, at least this year we can take pride in a Lowell roster that isn't laden with NHL unemployment office refugees.

We did get handed Stevens, though, because that compensation FA system might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It would be like the Red Wings signing Hossa and then being forced to give the Pens Zetterberg.

What I am talking about is bashing Marty because of the mask, going past the point of bashing him and suggesting we should cut ties, is ridiculous. HE is why we are where we are now, and he's pretty much the last thing standing to indentify this team with the old teams that were great, and he has to play the best hockey of his career to keep us afloat, contrasted with 2001, where we were in the 7th game of the Cup Finals with him playing some of the WORST. Give the guy some freaking respect. And instead of asking why he's promoting himself, ask why the team isn't promoting HIM. I understand team above individual, but the individual is about to do something historic and they just want to treat it like they would if Johnny Oduya scored his 25th career goal some day.

Get rid of him and see where we go, that's where the Raiders without the dysfunction comes in.

Mr. maxpower, I tip my hat to you, sir. A-effing men.

i'm considering starting a maxpowerisright second account, but just to chime in.

Osgood was not very good in his prime, but guess what, neither was Brodeur. I know this is crazy talk to actually challenge the fact that Brodeur may not have been a top goalie his whole career, but in the late 90s he was merely very good - above-average, probably around 8-15th best in the league. Post-lockout he's become the best goalie in the league.

And JS Gigeure is a top 10 goalie in the league, and may remain so after the rules change. Osgood is like Brodeur was in 2000, good enough to win with a dominant team in front of him. Now the bottom may fall out of that, especially since the top two Wings' defenders are older players, and Osgood himself is old. But goaltender is still by far the most important position in the league.

Edited by Triumph

Most goalies have their nickname and number. Thats been going on for a long time. It's a goaltenders way of expressing themselves. Its no different than if he put 'Marty' on there. Its just on the top instead of the chin.

I should have clarified that it bothers me more that he took out the Devils logo to replace it with a Marty logo. Nicknames are one thing, self promotion is another and Marty has been above it until now. For all of you have are fine with him advertising himself on his helmet, good for you, I prefer people who don't sell out.

lol, he's advertising his web site. You know, advertising, the thing the Devils couldn't do if they were given a free billion dollars and 100 copies of "the complete idiot's guide to advertising and marketing"?

Oh I see, so because the Devils fail at marketing he should be praised for self marketing? w/e we disagree. I was happier when Marty was above all this crap.

Then again, IIRC, you were the guy who was annoyed with all of the bells and whistles in the building, right?

If by bells and whistles you meant pointless cheerleaders at a hockey game, yes.

Give the guy some freaking respect. And instead of asking why he's promoting himself, ask why the team isn't promoting HIM. I understand team above individual, but the individual is about to do something historic and they just want to treat it like they would if Johnny Oduya scored his 25th career goal some day.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Our goalie deserves to have his name chanted at every home game this season. Just as an acknowledgement of everything that he has accomplished in an NJ uniform. ... Nevermind because of the harrassment he had to endure, in his own arena, in last season's playoffs.

Nevermind because of the harrassment he had to endure, in his own arena, in last season's playoffs.

that he brought on himself by burning himself out in the regular season and by LETTING a no-talent punk-ass embarrass him in the playoffs like he did and get under his skin :P

I should have clarified that it bothers me more that he took out the Devils logo to replace it with a Marty logo. Nicknames are one thing, self promotion is another and Marty has been above it until now. For all of you have are fine with him advertising himself on his helmet, good for you, I prefer people who don't sell out.

Yes, he replaced the logo. Or, more specifically, he replaced the half-logo. This new logo is just as much a Devils logo as the old 'J' was.

The NFL, NBA, and Major League Baseball are FULL of self-promotion. Hell, all that equipment hockey players wear is just promotion from Nike of Reebok or whoever. Those players wear certain equipment because they have contracts with those companies. Who did Marty 'sell out' to? Himself?

You can hardly see the logo unless you are in the first 4 rows. He can wear a black Nerf helmet with red stripes on it for all I care. He has won 538 games for us. He is 14 away from the MOST ALL TIME. Good for him if he actually wants someone to know about it outside of Newark.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Osgood was not very good in his prime, but guess what, neither was Brodeur. I know this is crazy talk to actually challenge the fact that Brodeur may not have been a top goalie his whole career, but in the late 90s he was merely very good - above-average, probably around 8-15th best in the league. Post-lockout he's become the best goalie in the league.

Funny you should bring this up.

All anyone has to do is read my sig to understand how I feel about Marty's career. I love the guy and wouldn't ever trade him for anybody. But there was a four-year period (you're right Tri...it started during the 1998-99 season and ended during the 2001-02 campaign) where Marty, outside of playing very well in the 2000 SC playoffs, was really only slightly above-average. His career save% is .913...his save% for those four seasons was .906, .906, .910 and .906...I forget which season it was, but he was below the .900 mark for most of the year in one of those seaons, before a late-season surge pulled his save% up. As good as he was during the '00 playoffs, he was not good in the '01 playoffs, especially during the Finals. Although I never ever reached the point where I wanted him traded, I do remember getting frustrated with his play at times during those four years, and although I never said "overrated" out loud, I clearly remember some Devils fans wondering aloud if he was indeed overrated. Fortunately no one even thinks such a thing now.

Having said that, before that four-year stretch and after he's been absolutely terrific. On teams with less talent he's fashioned his second- and third-best save% over the last two seasons, even though he's in his mid-30s.

1. The logo itself is ok, I like it.

2. Doesn't look that well on the mask.

3. It's Marty's mask, that's his decision and I think you guys are blowing this whole thing WAY out of proportion. Do you really think he was sitting all summer thinking about self-promotion? I guess it was a spontaneous decision. They made him a logo for his website, he thought it was cool and put it on his mask, that's all.

And it's not like he completely removed the Devils from it. The tail is still there. I don't see anything wrong with goalies personalizing their stuff.

that he brought on himself by burning himself out in the regular season and by LETTING a no-talent punk-ass embarrass him in the playoffs like he did and get under his skin :P

Okay, so from now on, everytime our goalie/team plays poorly, he/it should be booed and harrassed by rival fans at home. Being a real fans means staying with the team and the players for the good and the bad and chant even if they suck. If someone doesn't get it, then he's not a true supporter.

Edited by Revan

i'm considering starting a maxpowerisright second account, but just to chime in.

And JS Gigeure is a top 10 goalie in the league, and may remain so after the rules change. Osgood is like Brodeur was in 2000, good enough to win with a dominant team in front of him. Now the bottom may fall out of that, especially since the top two Wings' defenders are older players, and Osgood himself is old. But goaltender is still by far the most important position in the league.

I'd have to agree, he ran hot and cold and got outplayed (Damian Rhodes) by goalies that had no business outplaying him.

But, the draft class is just important. Let me run through the class we assembled from '89 on, when the CBA rules were set that we OWNED these player and controlled their fate, whereas now, they serve their time and go to early UFA for big money.

Scott Pellerlin

Bill Guerin

Valeri Zelepukin

Jaroslav Modry

Chris McAlpine

Brad Bombardir

Mike Dunham (one of the few we lost without any compensation)

Martin Brodeur

Brian Rolston

Scott Niedermayer

Stephane Yelle

Cale Hulse

Sergei Brylin

Jason Smith

Krzysztof Oliwa

Brendan Morrison

Jay Pandolfo

Denis Pederson

Steve Sullivan

Sheldon Souray

Patrik Elias

Vadim Sharifijanov (important only because he was traded for Mogs)

Chris Mason

Alyn McCauley

Petr Sykora

Willie Mitchell

Colin White

Pierre Dangenais

(1997 was a dud)

Brian Gionta

Christian Berglund

Scott Gomez

Mike Commodore

(1999 otherwise a dud)

Mike Rupp

Paul Martin

David Hale

then on to the dark ages (Zajac/Parise) and the change of the CBA not allowing us to stockpile our drafts (not that we'd want to at this point)

That's 35 NHL players (and pieces we traded) in that period. We clogged the league with our guys, and the ones we got rid of, we often replaced with important pieces, like the Guerin/Arnott/Langenbrunner history.

edit: and of course, John Madden and Brian Rafalski through undrafted FA

Edited by maxpower

quibbling points - I don't think Yelle ever signed a contract with New Jersey, and Sharifijanov was traded in an unrelated deal earlier in 99-2000.

you can still do this in the new league - though don't believe for a second anyone would ever stick brendan morrison in the minors for a year, as new jersey did in 1997-98.

quibbling points - I don't think Yelle ever signed a contract with New Jersey, and Sharifijanov was traded in an unrelated deal earlier in 99-2000.

you can still do this in the new league - though don't believe for a second anyone would ever stick brendan morrison in the minors for a year, as new jersey did in 1997-98.

I stand corrected. They traded him + for a 2=Teemu Laine and a 3=Birbarer. Yeech.

The silliness here is just one notch above the 'too lazy to pick up your trash and throw it out' thread.

Who even says he's going to wear it for the whole season? He may do it for a week or a month or until his first bad game. If Marty wins who gives a flying you-know-what what helmet he's wearing? If he loses he'll throw it in a closet anyway.

If Marty's doing it to make money so what - he saved the organization at least ten million or so on his contracts over the years and yet people are whining about him being selfish and above the team. Unreal.

Two words... it sucks. Make's about as much sense as if Mariano changed his entrance theme to Welcome to the Jungle tomorrow. That mask had incredible symbolism. Here's hoping (like Crash said) he gets superstitious and goes back.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Are you kidding? It would be incredibly sexy, and she's a huge Marty fan. It doesn't matter if the logo is good on the helmet or not, it would be a permanent tribute to the best goalie the NHL has ever seen.

Tramp Stamps are only offputting on girls you aren't already with because it makes you think of them as sluts, but it's actually a sexy location for a tattoo.

Also that fan mockup of the logo on the chin looks great. And it looks like a quick photoshop job simply overlapping the paint underneath. Huh.

Edited by Cowutopia