GDT: Devils Vs. Buffalo Sabres - 7PM

thelastonealive

Considering what the team is dealing with right now it's kind of hard to stay positive but if a few bounces had went their way, this probably would have been a much happier thread tonight.

Parise is a heck of a hockey player. I know, that's not much of a revelation but the kid just seems to impress me more and more each game. His work along the boards in that 3rd period was some quality stuff and he just never quits on plays. Zajac has looked pretty strong as well.

Langs. I'm not gonna kill the guy because I actually thought he had some bounce in his step a little bit but his decision making on the last powerplay was just bad. I've been very frustrated with him and I'm not sure if that is just because he isn't that good or if I'm in denial that he looks to have lost a step out there.

My hope is that they can just tread water until the injured players mend their wounds. I've been pretty happy with the play of the rookies but a lot of times they get glued to the bench for large chunks of the game so it's kind of hard to gauge where they are at this point.

It's still November and I guess you can't look at games as must win but I feel we really need to get 2 against Tampa. Detroit is going to be a tough game and the last thing the team needs is a 3 game losing streak.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 4 minutes and change of ice time for Bergfors. I understand their was a ton of penaltis, but give the chance a guy to play. He looked really good in his first game playing with Mike Rupp of all people.

There is only so much you can see of guys like Jamie Langenbrunner. This team needs some offensive players to score some goals and create quality chances. Throwing pucks at the net blindly will only get you so many goals.

Edited by devilsrule33

Attendance 10,567 official number

hmm

edit: that reminds me. when i met the devils pr guy i asked him why the devs had the highest US ticket prices. maybe that leads to the low attendance. he said i saw last years numbers because they cut prices this year. thats bs

Edited by njdevil26

OK, that was a waste of time tonight @ the Prudential Center. The Devils were just terrible in all aspects of the game EXCEPT for goalie KEVIN WEEKES. he played a solid game tonighnt and did not deserve to lose that game. The Devils PP and PK continues to struggle and cannot stay out of the penalty box. Brookbank and Salmela are just flat out terrible. Parise, Gionta, Elias and Zubrus are the only ones who really looked like they were playing hard and the rest of the team took the night off and was embarrassed on VERSUS. If it wasn't for Weekes in that 1st period, it could have been like 6 or 7-0 at the end of the 1st period. Looks like another night to ride the bikes for the Devils.

Attendance 10,567 official number

hmm

edit: that reminds me. when i met the devils pr guy i asked him why the devs had the highest US ticket prices. maybe that leads to the low attendance. he said i saw last years numbers because they cut prices this year. thats bs

Looked about right and the at times it looked a lot less than that. It was just a somber atmosphere around the Prudential Center tonight.

Gionta, Elias, Parise, and Weekes had good games, no goals. With all the injuries to this team, I'm not expecting wins, I'm expecting effort. And I'm getting it. We may not be the best team in the league but I feel we're doing the best considering our circumstances.

Lost tonight but it's not the end of the world. Lets go Devils!

Good point and there were not too many players that had good games tonight. Weekes deserved to win and it was a shame that he got no goal support. :puke: The PP and the PK are just atrocious. Devils hopefully will bounce back on Wednesday night and Weekes most likely will be in goal again on Wednesday. After the way he played tonight, he deserves to get the start on Wednesday night. Maybe the Devils will score some goals for Weekes this time.

Eh, one of those nights. Terrible effort in the first, tremendous play in the final two periods, puck just wouldn't go in. I liked how Salmela looked tonight - though he seemed to get about 4 shifts at even strength. Brookbank, on the other hand, could exit the NHL tomorrow and not be missed.

Vrana and Bergfors also got lost in the shuffle, and I don't think Rupp played more than a shift in the final two periods.

Three final notes: Patrick Kaleta can jump in a grease fire. The same guy who instigates fights and then won't drop his gloves, he totally faked an injury to draw the Clarkson penalty, then tried it again on a later play. Naturally, Versus never gave us a replay of that play - replays of penalties are scarce there.

Apparently they hired someone who does Youtube videos to do the camera work tonight. This guy needed a glowpuck for sure.

Also, Devils fans booing this game should just go back to Madison Square Garden where they belong. The team showed up (for the final two periods) and played solid hockey, it just didn't go right for them.

You're understating the first period and how bad it was and how long it took to shake off. It took me halfway through the second to realize they were playing much better because the stench was so bad.

It was the worst hockey I think I've ever seen at the professional level, and I am probably stretching to describe it as professional. Luckily Weekes is a class guy and didn't quit on the game because it would have been epic. Counting misses, how many scoring chances did Buffalo have in the first?

As for the attendace, although I think they must have gotten nailed for overeporting (like that mystery crowd at the Garden during the preseason), and it should have be announced about or more than the Dallas game.... good, let them get some negative press and maybe someone will call the Rock a failure and they'll get up off their ass and actually try to make this work instead of cutting every corner and ripping people off.

And no, ticket prices at face are not down this year, probably not even with the inventory of $100 balcony seats disappearing. Day of game ticket prices are brutal, if they weren't, they wouldn't have to paper. And because they're papering, now they're not selling uppers that they would have otherwise sold.

They got a glimpse of the post Marty world, and it's not pretty.... off the ice. Weekes held up his end of the bargain and more than that, on the ice.

Let's also not forget that Buffalo IS a very good team...

Alot of fans forgot that.... Buffalo VERY good team and we had many players out.... Buffalo played an EXCELLENT penalty kill and collapsed infront of their net very well. During our 21 second 5-3 we had no chance. you couldve put Detroit out there tonight and they wouldnt score. Buffalo played well. Miller is the best goaltender so far with a 1.79 GAA

Only 4 minutes and change of ice time for Bergfors. I understand their was a ton of penaltis, but give the chance a guy to play. He looked really good in his first game playing with Mike Rupp of all people.

There is only so much you can see of guys like Jamie Langenbrunner. This team needs some offensive players to score some goals and create quality chances. Throwing pucks at the net blindly will only get you so many goals.

I was beside myself (though not surprised) when Sutter ran out Madden-Pando-Clarkson with five minutes left down by two. Can we see the kids once try to create some offense?! Sutter and Lou's absolute allergy to using young forwards is mind-boggling, especially with a line's worth of forwards on IR already.

The crowd was rowdy and terrible at the same time. 208-9 was in rare form but by the end of the game fans were getting really pissy. I mean come on, I was as mad as anyone over the absolute lack of effort in the first period, but thanks to Weekes we basically got away with it anyway.

They tried the last two periods and were actually the better team against a Sabres squad that has much better talent at this point. The offense was frustrating, but I was surprised at the level of booing and anger, especially considering there were barely 10k in the building.

Edited by Hasan4978

I was beside myself (though not surprised) when Sutter ran out Madden-Pando-Clarkson with five minutes left down by two. Can we see the kids once try to create some offense?! Sutter and Lou's absolute allergy to using young forwards is mind-boggling, especially with a line's worth of forwards on IR already.

The crowd was rowdy and terrible at the same time. 208-9 was in rare form but by the end of the game fans were getting really pissy. I mean come on, I was as mad as anyone over the absolute lack of effort in the first period, but thanks to Weekes we basically got away with it anyway.

They tried the last two periods and were actually the better team against a Sabres squad that has much better talent at this point. The offense was frustrating, but I was surprised at the level of booing and anger, especially considering there were barely 10k in the building.

It was also disturbing to see Colin White out there with 3 minutes left when the goalie was pulled. He just can't play with the puck, and I think he killed a few chances.

I actually wouldn't have mind seeing Rupp over Clarkson at some points.

I don't know what else can be said about Weekes and Parise tonight, they were just excellent.

I wish Sutter tried to use Vrana and Bergfors more, especially in a game where the team is struggling to score. There is no harm in trying new players in new roles this early on. I understand Sutter said he didn't feel like they stepped up, but its awfully hard to step up when you're hardly ever getting on the ice in the first place. The kids have to play more, especially when Langenbrunner is getting a massive amount of ice time.

I don't know what else can be said about Weekes and Parise tonight, they were just excellent.

I wish Sutter tried to use Vrana and Bergfors more, especially in a game where the team is struggling to score. There is no harm in trying new players in new roles this early on. I understand Sutter said he didn't feel like they stepped up, but its awfully hard to step up when you're hardly ever getting on the ice in the first place. The kids have to play more, especially when Langenbrunner is getting a massive amount of ice time.

Langs is Sutter's illegitimate son. There's no doubt in my mind. All evidence over the last 14 months or so points to it.

It was also disturbing to see Colin White out there with 3 minutes left when the goalie was pulled. He just can't play with the puck, and I think he killed a few chances.

I actually wouldn't have mind seeing Rupp over Clarkson at some points.

That wasn't disturbing, it was funny, that they pulled with Mottau and White out there. Actually was pretty impressive that they went 6-5 for more than 3 minutes and didn't get scored on, that's got to be some kind of record.

Good to see other people getting on the "play the kids" bandwagon here... I just ranted enough on this on 2ma (and all my angry words go unfiltered :P)... but it's really absurd now... Langenbrunner can't keep a pass unless he's throwing a Brad Johnson duck across to the other point guy... i mean REALLY (I understand the point man options on D are limited... least White has a better shot then people think and KEEPS at the blue line!)

I don't know what else you can do now...

it's just gonna be messy... MORE SO without Martin... he's so important to this team now

Bergfors hadn't seen a shift since midway through the second and you want to throw him out there?

Those of you killing Colin White - who else is going out there? Sheldon Brookbank?

Langenbrunner shouldn't be playing 24 minutes but otherwise it was fine. The 'lines worth of forwards on IR', two of them are on the 4th line. New Jersey is missing Rolston and essentially replaced him with Zubrus. Otherwise it's going to be business as usual up front - why, when your team is struggling, you'd want to give your veterans LESS time, i'm not sure.

Edited by Triumph

Langenbrunner shouldn't be playing 24 minutes but otherwise it was fine. The 'lines worth of forwards on IR', two of them are on the 4th line. New Jersey is missing Rolston and essentially replaced him with Zubrus. Otherwise it's going to be business as usual up front - why, when your team is struggling, you'd want to give your veterans LESS time, i'm not sure.

When your veteran is playing like total HORSEsh!t looks slow, tired and can't MAKE A PASS ACROSS THE POINT, and you keep putting him out there... then you look like a coach who the words "soon to be fired" come to mind

I'll take what I don't know over what I KNOW is bad anytime!

When your veteran is playing like total HORSEsh!t looks slow, tired and can't MAKE A PASS ACROSS THE POINT, and you keep putting him out there... then you look like a coach who the words "soon to be fired" come to mind

I'll take what I don't know over what I KNOW is bad anytime!

If you're talking about the shift I think you are, the entire line was out for those 2 minutes - they were all incredibly tired.

Langenbrunner won't get 24 minutes again - but he has to be taken off the penalty kill ASAP. Even so, his ice time isn't going to Bergfors or Vrana any time soon - it will go to Oduya or Mottau.

Edited by Triumph

Bergfors hadn't seen a shift since midway through the second and you want to throw him out there?

Those of you killing Colin White - who else is going out there? Sheldon Brookbank?

We are just tired of seeing Langebrunner as you and I have already pointed out there playing 24 minutes. Madden might work his ass off and grind out a goal here and there, and we love him for that, but for the most part those guys aren't going to get it done.

It might be business as usual, but if you remember no one liked that business very much from the start.

Parise and Zajac are clearly the go-to-guys on the team right now, but like I have said a bunch of times, throw a kid on that line too so we can see 3 quick, creative players.

Here is my point, this might be the only time to see what we got with the kids with the few injuries. When everyone is back and healthy and the team has those struggling nights, Holik isn't getting sent down. Nothing is going to happen to Pandolfo or Gionta. We'll have to fight through it.

Instead, we'll be left to wonder what Bergfors or Vrana could do while we say things like, "Bergfors sure looked good in that one game where he got 9 minutes. He even played well with Rupp and created a goal. Vrana scored a few goals while he was here but never got more than 6 minutes. Too bad we never saw them on the ice for a meaningful moment or for more than 4 minutes. Sutter already said that we have our 12 guys, so you won't see much changing, but you see the talent now, you know you don't need to re-sign Gionta and Holik, and Rupp next year.

Bergfors looks like he has skills, so put him on the friggen power play because we sure as hell know what Clarkson, Langenbrunner and Gionta bring to the table. They gave us 0 for whatever it was tonight. Vrana has a few tipped goals. See what he can do there. We've seen the same crappy ass PP for two years now. It can't hurt to change it.

Edited by devilsrule33

I'd like to take time to mention all the Sabres fans that came out tonight for $10 seats, especially in my section, while our fanbase stayed home yet again tonight. I especially enjoyed the two douches (guy and girl) behind me the whole game where EVERYTIME a Sabre touched the puck, any Sabre, it was "YEAH MAX!, "YEAH VANEK!" and his skank of a g'f with tattoos and foul mouth parrot everything back he said with fvck and sh!t added for good meaasure.

Thanks Devils fans.

Gionta isn't coming back even if Bergfors never saw Devils' ice this year, so that's moot. Sutter's job is to win games now, not to start wondering what his team might look like with Nicklas Bergfors as a top six winger. Gionta had 24 power play goals three years ago and now he should sit for a kid who hasn't scored 24 goals in a year in the AHL?

I'd like to see the kids too, but at the expense of whom? Clarkson has a role, Langenbrunner has a role, Gionta has a role. Bergfors fulfills none of those on the PP.

Edited by Triumph

If you're talking about the shift I think you are, the entire line was out for those 2 minutes - they were all incredibly tired.

Langenbrunner won't get 24 minutes again - but he has to be taken off the penalty kill ASAP. Even so, his ice time isn't going to Bergfors or Vrana any time soon - it will go to Oduya or Mottau.

There was PLENTY of miserable Langenbrunner shifts last night

and this is the second game in a row he's had ABSURD ice-time... when does it stop?? So it's already happened twice!

You can put Elias at the point too and then play someone ... ANYONE down low

Gionta isn't coming back even if Bergfors never saw Devils' ice this year, so that's moot. Sutter's job is to win games now, not to start wondering what his team might look like with Nicklas Bergfors as a top six winger. Gionta had 24 power play goals three years ago and now he should sit for a kid who hasn't scored 24 goals in a year in the AHL?

I'd like to see the kids too, but at the expense of whom? Clarkson has a role, Langenbrunner has a role, Gionta has a role. Bergfors fulfills none of those on the PP.

Has Gionta had 24 ppg SINCE then?

Brett Hull had a zillion PPGs... hell more realistic.... so has SHANNY... why not bring either of them with that blazing logic.... and news flash... THEY ARE LOSING WHEN OVERPLAYING THE VETS!!!!!!!!

We don't know what role he can perform except fro bench door opener which is doubly stupid!

Has Jamie Langenbrunner's shot led to one goal this season? I'm not even trying to sound smart here...I'm a little curious because I can't think of one.

It's pretty amazing how the play of Jamie, Patty and Gionta (guys Lou locked up long-term) have lost almost everything that made them so attractive when we signed them.

At the expense of whom? I think I've made myself clear. You drop Bergfors down to play on one of the first two lines, and you drop Langenbrunner down to play with Madden and Pandolfo where he belongs. Let Vrana center Clarkson and Rupp.

At the expense of whom? I think I've made myself clear. You drop Bergfors down to play on one of the first two lines, and you drop Langenbrunner down to play with Madden and Pandolfo where he belongs. Let Vrana center Clarkson and Rupp.

Langenbrunner should be put with Madden and Pandolfo and left there forever. Putting Vrana with Clarkson and Rupp is death to his chances of development in the NHL. I'd rather see Vrana back in Lowell then centering Toe Drag and Waste of Roster Spot.