Who the hell makes the schedules?

BlizzardCyclone

I have a theory that the schedule is somewhat balanced in the Ranger's favor.

Normally I don't do conspiracy theories, but hear me out.

They start in Europe...normally one would think of this as a negative, but they get some regular-season action in, then have a week off. By December, they've played four or five more games than everyone else in their division, so naturally they're in first.

So now, when we're playing 3-games-in-four day swaths, they've got longer gaps between games, meaning - presumably - a more well-rested team late in the season/going into the playoffs.

I'm not sure I believe that the schedule could favor one team over another when you have to play everyone eventually anyway, but there's certainly a compelling argument that they've got a pretty nice schedule, while we're sitting here twiddling our thumbs waiting to play again.

Of course, the schedule works in our favor right now too, in that injury-wise, we've got plenty of time to heal up. It's lucky (?) that our injury snap seems to have coincided with the light portion of the schedule, though.

Like I said - I'm not big on conspiracy theories, I don't really think they sit down and figure out how they can best get certain teams to go deep into the playoffs or anything...but it sure makes ya think a little, no?

I read somewhere that the Devils management actually prefers it this way. Crowds get bigger in the second half. Playoff excitement. No football to contend with. Having more games in the 2nd half of the season means more $$$. Now, I read that back in the YankeesNets days and I'm not so sure a team has any pull whatsoever in how games are scheduled - I would think ALL teams would rather have more games in the 2nd half for higher attendance.

I have a theory that the schedule is somewhat balanced in the Ranger's favor.

Normally I don't do conspiracy theories, but hear me out.

They start in Europe...normally one would think of this as a negative, but they get some regular-season action in, then have a week off. By December, they've played four or five more games than everyone else in their division, so naturally they're in first.

So now, when we're playing 3-games-in-four day swaths, they've got longer gaps between games, meaning - presumably - a more well-rested team late in the season/going into the playoffs.

I'm not sure I believe that the schedule could favor one team over another when you have to play everyone eventually anyway, but there's certainly a compelling argument that they've got a pretty nice schedule, while we're sitting here twiddling our thumbs waiting to play again.

Of course, the schedule works in our favor right now too, in that injury-wise, we've got plenty of time to heal up. It's lucky (?) that our injury snap seems to have coincided with the light portion of the schedule, though.

Like I said - I'm not big on conspiracy theories, I don't really think they sit down and figure out how they can best get certain teams to go deep into the playoffs or anything...but it sure makes ya think a little, no?

who really knows; all sports might be fixed.. but I highly doubt it..

the Canadian teams and certain teams like the Rangers, Red Wings, etc draw well in the early season while most teams don't until football ends.... so is it not GOOD BUSINESS to have those trams that can draw well early have home games early??

Sometimes y'all look too much into sh!t :P

I definitely don't like the fact the Rangers have played six more games than us already. To have that much of a gap inbetween two teams in the same division is unfair IMO.

Yeah, the many, many days between Devils games is painful to get thru.

I definitely don't like the fact the Rangers have played six more games than us already. To have that much of a gap inbetween two teams in the same division is unfair IMO.

I like having game in hand, just gotta make them wins and watch that lead dwindle away! :koolaid:

The Rangers always have a strong first half schedule because the circus comes into town in February or March.

I have difficulty telling the difference between the circus and the Rangers, sometimes I see a bunch of clowns dressed in blue skating around at MSG. Often times that looks like a circus.............

Do the Rangers play the same teams as we do?

Do they play the same number of games in the same timeframe (well really a few more days this year because of the early trip)?

I don't get why it even matters that they have a few more games than us, because they're ahead of us in the standings? Who cares, in years we're better we've gotten ahead long before the end of the season and in years they're better it's a moot point regardless.