Player dies after on-ice fight

DaneykoIsGod

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3811386

PORT PERRY, Ontario -- A hockey player who died after hitting his head on the ice during a fight was mourned by 500 people Monday at a funeral attended by commentator Don Cherry and teammates wearing club jerseys.

Don Sanderson died Friday at 21. The York University student lapsed into a coma following a Dec. 12 fight during an Ontario Hockey Association game at Brantford. The service was held at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Sanderson's hometown of Port Perry.

Sanderson was injured when his helmet fell off and the back of his head struck the ice. The rookie defenseman played for the Whitby Dunlops, who compete at the highest level of senior amateur hockey in Canada.

Cherry offered condolences to Sanderson's parents during Saturday night's "Hockey Night In Canada" broadcast. At that game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators, players paid tribute to Sanderson, tapping their sticks on the ice as his image was shown on the video screen.

"It shows you how the hockey community, they're a family, and how we feel," Cherry said outside the service.

screw how great the hockey community is -- he made it sound like sh!t with that kind of talk. this is about the poor kid and his family... not Don Cherry's Hockey Night in Canada. <_< I knwo he was just talking - saying something because someone wanted him to comment. I'll tell you, every day I'm more into the Quaker way of silence... You'd never guess it the way I go off here though huh?

I'd be so upset if me dear little boy did that to himself... it's so sad...

That's terrible. But I still want fights to stay in the league.

That is very unfortunate, my condolences to his family and loved ones. That having been said, however, this appears to be more of a freak accident than anything else. In other words, it should not have an affect on any rule changes in the NHL in regard to fighting. Fighting would be the last place where I would expect a player to receive a career/life ending injury. Hits in center ice rank much higher in my book. Ex. Hit on Brandon Sutter.

Edit: This may have an affect on rule changes in the minor leagues, though. Which, of course, may eventually trickle down into the NHL since none of the players have grown up fighting. In other words, the rules may not change in the NHL, but the type of players may. Just speculation, though.

Edited by Biggie B

That is very unfortunate, my condolences to his family and loved ones. That having been said, however, this appears to be more of a freak accident than anything else. In other words, it should not have an affect on any rule changes in the NHL in regard to fighting. Fighting would be the last place where I would expect a player to receive a career/life ending injury. Hits in center ice rank much higher in my book. Ex. Hit on Brandon Sutter.

Agreed, fighting is safer than boarding or open ice hits. I always thought fighters kept worse stuff from happening. I've played a little low level hockey, and even though fighting was banned, having enforcers on the ice for my team made me feel more comfortable.

RIP

I felt sorry for Don sanderson, but fighting must stay. Many people die because of cars, should we ban them??? Hockey sticks are weapons and should NHL ban sticks??? Sucker-punches are harmful as well, should we chop down everyone's hands???

I think I should be allowed to beat your face in without retribution.

Cars, hockey sticks are things. Things that have a use outside of being used as weapons. Hand also have uses outside being used as weapons.

The question is banning of an action. Like beating someones face in. That is actually against the law and you would go to jail for that. But by your logic, that should be legal as cars, hockey sticks and hands are legal to own.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Don't worry. This changes nothing. As fellow anti-pugilist Damian Cox said on Sunday, fighting brings in fans, brings in money, and therefore is here to stay. The market has spoken. To some of us, it's as barbaric as throwing Christians to the lions... but so long as our species is drawn to watching two men pummel each other, hockey fights will continue. As will boxing and UFC.

Don't worry. This changes nothing. As fellow anti-pugilist Damian Cox said on Sunday, fighting brings in fans, brings in money, and therefore is here to stay. The market has spoken. To some of us, it's as barbaric as throwing Christians to the lions... but so long as our species is drawn to watching two men pummel each other, hockey fights will continue. As will boxing and UFC.

Have you ever played the game on a competitive level? It's a yes or no question.

If you have, like it or not, you'll understand that fighting is part of the game. IMO, the last two fights in the last two games that David Clarkson had both were key elements in the Devils wins.

However, fighting in hockey can sometimes turn the sport into a circus and a media target by players who do not repsect the game and the element of fighting in the sport. In turn, it also brings out the anti-fighting mob.

Also, if some of these guys wore proper fitting helmets and not have the chin straps dangle 6 inches below their chin and the helmets turning sideways everytime they get hit, perhaps an incident like this could further be avoided in the future.

Have you ever played the game on a competitive level? It's a yes or no question.

Also, if some of these guys wore proper fitting helmets and not have the chin straps dangle 6 inches below their chin and the helmets turning sideways everytime they get hit, perhaps an incident like this could further be avoided in the future.

No, I have not ever played the game. My dad so wanted me to.... he MADE me a pair of "skates" (booties with blades) for Christmas when I was 3 months old.... but a doctor said that with my ankle condition I would need speciality skates which my parents couldn't afford. I don't see what that has to do with anything. Landmines were used in war. I never fought in a war, but I think I'm allowed an opinion on the treaty to ban landmines. If that is your criteria for having a hockey opinion on this board, you may have eliminated a fair number of people.

As for helmets, it's funny. We have one thread where pro-fighting people say that Sidney Crosby should TAKE HIS HELMET OFF for a fight and now a pro-fighting person says that they should ensure that HELMETS STAY ON for a fight. Can you guys get your stories straight?

No, I have not ever played the game. My dad so wanted me to.... he MADE me a pair of "skates" (booties with blades) for Christmas when I was 3 months old.... but a doctor said that with my ankle condition I would need speciality skates which my parents couldn't afford. I don't see what that has to do with anything. Landmines were used in war. I never fought in a war, but I think I'm allowed an opinion on the treaty to ban landmines. If that is your criteria for having a hockey opinion on this board, you may have eliminated a fair number of people.

OK, fair enough, but if you haven't played the sport on a competiive level where the element of fighting is allowed, then you do not understand the value of it when it isn't used as a circus attraction. All sports have a certain element or intrinsic part to it that to understand, you have to play it. It's not a slight on anyone, however it does add a POV when discussing the value of it.

As for helmets, it's funny. We have one thread where pro-fighting people say that Sidney Crosby should TAKE HIS HELMET OFF for a fight and now a pro-fighting person says that they should ensure that HELMETS STAY ON for a fight. Can you guys get your stories straight?

Crosby also wears a visor. Anyone that says that a player should voluntarily remove a helmet to fight has definetly not played the game! Players try to pry the helmets off of one another so they don't wind up breaking a hand and, to a lesser extent, inflict more pain on the opponent. If players wore proper fitting helmets, they could eliminate that tactic with alot better odds. I'm not saying it'll happen completely, but it'll help.

Fighting needs to stay. There's nothing barbaric about two men settling there problems in a scrap. Taking out aggression in methods like Chris Simon used is barbaric. Fighting keeps incidents from happening.

Okay. Then why is fighting illegal off the rink? If someone cuts you off in traffic, shouldn't you be allowed to beat their face in? Fighting someone would keep traffic incidents from happening.

Okay. Then why is fighting illegal off the rink? If someone cuts you off in traffic, shouldn't you be allowed to beat their face in? Fighting someone would keep traffic incidents from happening.

That's like me getting in my car and driving 100 MPH because i saw a NASCAR race and thought it was OK to do because i was late for a meeting.

When you step on the ice as an NHL player in an NHL game with an NHL contract you abide by the rules of the sport. In this case, fighting is allowed.

When you punch someone out in the street, you abide by the laws of society and public conduct.

Yes, it is two different things.

I bet you drivers would be a LOT more polite then :P

You're also not allowed to hip-check a complete stranger, even if he stole your chunk of rubber. You would get arrested for assault.

When you play competitive hockey, these things happen. It's something you are absolutely allowed to form an opinion on if you've never played, but something that those who have are more informed so to say. I can't remember ever seeing two players fight each other more than once in a game. It probably has happened before, but for the most part it cools guys down while adding some energy to the game. Not to mention players sticking up for each other.

On another note, i think fighting in hockey is the only legal bare-knuckle fighting in the country. :uni:

while i think fighting should remain in the sport - though it is essentially a sideshow attraction - the worst argument is that 'it reduces incidents of violence/cheap shots', as if this should just be accepted as truth. i don't think it does at all and i think the biggest deterrent to cheap shots has been the addition of a second referee and better/less arbitrary enforcement of the rules of the game. i absolutely refuse to believe there are more cheap shots now than in the game's past.

What confuses me about your vehement anti-fighting stance is that you watch the NFL (and CFL), that sport has a lot more violence which wouldn't be acceptable in society than any hockey fight. And nobody ever calls for making the NFL flag football when some guy gets paralyzed or suffers a concussion on a blindside hit.

Edited by Hasan4978

With those sports you have a choice, if you dont want to fight, dont fight.

I havent ever seen a UFC or boxing match where both fighters havent wanted to be in the ring, its a choice, there are very rare occasions in hockey where a player has to fight if he dosn't want to but the refs can normally tell and will break it up.

You are in a situation where you expect to be hit.

Its a choice, if you dont like the fighting aspect of hockey when one starts look away. But 99 times out of 100 its two people willing to face each other, who know whats coming.

Im sure Christians didnt volunteer to be fed to the lions, it isnt something that people would volunteer for.

I feel sorry for the family, but if someone is willing to fight they are accepting the risks involved.