GDT: 2/19/09. New Jersey @ Tampa Bay 7:30 PM.

SatansDevils

I think this was a weird take on a play from TG

Rookie defenseman Anssi Salmela was caught again on that one after his shot from the left point was blocked.

Salmela had just shot the puck, his defensive partner should be looking to play out of the zone. It'd be nigh impossible to shoot a puck and be back at the red line a second apart.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Salmela had just shot the puck, his defensive partner should be looking to play out of the zone. It'd be nigh impossible to shoot a puck and be back at the red line a second apart.

Can you guess who his defensive partner was? :P

Can you guess who his defensive partner was? :P

I know who it was but I was trying not to make it into a debate about him :lol: I just thought it was weird TG thought Salmela needed to be back while shooting. Salmela should try not to have shots blocked but the problem is in the block, not the getting back part.

I know who it was but I was trying not to make it into a debate about him :lol: I just thought it was weird TG thought Salmela needed to be back while shooting. Salmela should try not to have shots blocked but the problem is in the block, not the getting back part.

Agreed 100%. I didn't mention that play during the game for the exact same reason. :lol:

I didn't think he should have shot there, should have put it in deep, because he was risking a block and a rush. Too much traffic. Maybe that's what TG meant?

Neither of them got back on the play but as I said in the chat, thats one of Anssi's big flaws. His big shot hits someone and flies into the neutral zone and its off to the races for the opponent. He needs to be more selective about when to wind up and drive.

Neither of them got back on the play but as I said in the chat, thats one of Anssi's big flaws. His big shot hits someone and flies into the neutral zone and its off to the races for the opponent. He needs to be more selective about when to wind up and drive.

Brian Rafalski B )

Brian Rafalski B )

It cant be BRaf because he said Big shot :giggle:

Well both Goalies were about as sharp as a pair of safety scisors in the first period, Weekes looked pretty slow all game although he did make some big saves in the third, but he was painfull to watch at times but the win ment a lot to him with his little celibration at the end.

His latteral movement seems lot worse than Clemmers, who seems to make himself massive with his long legs to protect the crease.

Nice move by patty in the shootout and good to see Zach still putting up the points.

Salmella is still on the learning curve, patience is going to be the key.

It wasn't pretty, but it's two points. I'll always take ugly and two points over ugly and zero points. Three reasons I'm not going to kill the Devils too much:

1) They won.

2) Tampa Bay has been playing better as of late...they're almost .500 over their last 30 games.

3) Kevin Weekes and Zach Parise.

What a game by Weekes...he did more than enough to make up for the softie. Absolutely brilliant. I can understand if Sutter goes back to Clemmy against the Isles to get his confidence back up if Marty is indeed going to make his return on February 26, but I'd love to see Weekes get the start against the Isles simply because he's been a good soldier and hasn't complained at all. It's not so much about what Clemmy has or hasn't done in his last couple as it is rewarding Weekes. Kevin's earned that.

Brian Gionta and Patrik Elias are going to have to find ways to start burying their chances. Elias has scored just 6 goals in his last 25 games, and Gio 4 in his last 29. That flat-out isn't good enough, although the Devils have clearly overcome that lack of production. I'm to the point with Gio that I pretty much expect nothing when I see him getting a scoring opportunity. And Elias' season numbers still look nice, but he's slowly but surely morphing back into the frustrated ceiling-glarer that we know all too well from the last two seasons. There's still plenty of time for them to find the net, but the Devils are going to need these guys to produce if they want to go deep into the playoffs.

And the sooner Martin comes back, the better.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976