GDT: Flamers at NJ Devils

BlizzardCyclone

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow .9 left in the game. Well atleast we proved we can beat some of the best in the west and the east...now its the teams that wont even make the playoffs that we need to "steal" the points from,Like Phoenix who we usually lose to. (With exception to Detroit)

Edited by NJDevils1214

flames didn't look like they played their best.

i don't like the new lines. the devils got all their shots on the power play. none of the new lines stood out to me at all. elias in particular had a silent game, i hope that's not becoming the norm.

keenan with more of his goalie-pulling hijinks. the man will never learn he knows nothing about goalies.

i don't like the new lines. the devils got all their shots on the power play. none of the new lines stood out to me at all. elias in particular had a silent game, i hope that's not becoming the norm.

keenan with more of his goalie-pulling hijinks. the man will never learn he knows nothing about goalies.

I thought Elias looked good, his linemates just aren't doing much. He isn't good enough to carry a line. Rolston has little hockey sense and so Gionta has less.

After the 1st I think we got back to playing Devils hockey. Marty stood on his head. I thought all 4 lines played well except for the 1st period. Also I don't think the low scoring Devils are back because when we got the 3-1 lead we kept attacking trying to get a 4th goal. The low scoring Devils would have just kept dumping the puck.

Uhm, Flames fans are blowing a gasket saying that the Devils feed blamed the lockout on the Flames and said that they were no talent team that bored people to sleep....

.... that doesn't sound like Doc or Chico, but I only had the Flames feed so I don't know exactly what was said, if anything. Anyone hear anything like that?

Uhm, Flames fans are blowing a gasket saying that the Devils feed blamed the lockout on the Flames and said that they were no talent team that bored people to sleep....

.... that doesn't sound like Doc or Chico, but I only had the Flames feed so I don't know exactly what was said, if anything. Anyone hear anything like that?

yeah something like that was being said - though i didn't catch the start of it. which by the way is pretty accurate (not the lockout but the rules changes), and they can suck a bag of dicks otherwise. i think game 7 of the cup finals had something like 40 shots combined, possibly less.

what's interesting is that the flames now are a dynamic offensive team that cannot seem to kill a penalty. i don't know if they were playing a passive box or wtf they were doing.

jason: elias had a great game penalty killing but the rest of his game wasn't very good. i wonder if that had something to do with the devils always killing penalties.

Edited by Triumph

The 2004 Flames were an unwatachable no talent clutch and grab trap disaster that followed in the footsteps of the 2003 JiggyPuff Ducks.

The 09 Flames are exciting, we just didn't see them at the top of their game today.

I still remember the graphic at the end of the 2nd period of game 7 where the shots were something like 9-7 in favor of one team. That's at the end of the second period

they should've cancelled that final and just showed reruns of the 80's oilers.

I hope they're reading this on the calgary boards.

Edited by '7'

I thought Elias looked good, his linemates just aren't doing much. He isn't good enough to carry a line. Rolston has little hockey sense and so Gionta has less.

i'm beginning to think that sutter's issues have been with rolston (and zubrus to a lesser extent). you could tell on his first shift, rolston was trying to hit anything and play physical but after that, he reverted back to what has been a lost season for him. i know he scored that PP goal but he took an awful penalty after he blew what was a good shift in the offensive zone. he has looked absolutely lost out there this year.

shannahan with two terrible penalties - he's become a PK expert and nothing much else.

other than the PP, the devils did not look great tonight by any stretch of the imagination.

How come every time we beat a decent team, the entire board goes off on a "the _______'s weren't at the top of their game today." tangent, basically saying we were lucky we didn't catch them *on* their game?

Because, in general, we are convinced the sky is falling - but Marty is there to save it from landing on us.

Looks like the low-scoring team that relies on Marty is back.

What game were you watching?

Anyway, I hope to see Zubrus back up with the 2nd line. I know he missed his man on that goal, but offensively nothing seems to happen without him there. And Rolston does nothing with his size. Its like having two Giontas out there.

Edited by The Facepainter

Nice win tonight Devils. Now trail Boston by 6-points for #1 overall. Devils still ahead of Washington by one point and have 2-more wins and a game in hand for the #2 seed in the EC.

Brodeur win #549 and 3-more to go chasing history. :koolaid: Nice comeback game for Brodeur tonight and he was pissed giving up that second goal with 0.9 left to go in the game.

Parise gets goal #39 and it was a tough faught goal, fighting hard in front of the net in the crease, but still got it. Kipprusoff looks like he got hurt earlier in the game and that last goal by Parise really looked shaken up after the goal and was taken out of the game.

PK was excellent tonight, but the PP still needs to get better. Devils win their 8th home game in a row as Calgary lost their third game in a row.

Keep it going Devils and onto Phoenix on Thursday. Phoenix lost tonight to Detroit tonight in OT 3-2.

Yeah, that had to be embarassing to Kiprusoff. When McIlhenny came in, I thought Kiprusoff had an equipment issue or something.

i'm beginning to think that sutter's issues have been with rolston (and zubrus to a lesser extent). you could tell on his first shift, rolston was trying to hit anything and play physical but after that, he reverted back to what has been a lost season for him. i know he scored that PP goal but he took an awful penalty after he blew what was a good shift in the offensive zone. he has looked absolutely lost out there this year.

shannahan with two terrible penalties - he's become a PK expert and nothing much else.

other than the PP, the devils did not look great tonight by any stretch of the imagination.

rolston's not a center in the new NHL, i fear. the truth is that rolston right now only has average speed, and he's not particularly big or physical. he responded when he was a LW and played fairly well at even strength there.

that madden-holik-rupp line was pretty terrible.

i'm beginning to think our depth might not be so great for the simple reason that all of it has the same problem - it's all slow. the only guys with speed on the bottom 2 lines are rupp and madden, and rupp is only straightaway speed. pandolfo's no picnic either, obviously.

Edited by Triumph

rolston's not a center in the new NHL, i fear. the truth is that rolston right now only has average speed, and he's not particularly big or physical. he responded when he was a LW and played fairly well at even strength there.

i'm beginning to think our depth might not be so great for the simple reason that all of it has the same problem - it's all slow. the only guys with speed on the bottom 2 lines are rupp and madden, and rupp is only straightaway speed. pandolfo's no picnic either, obviously.

i agree that rolston is not a center. he and elias could be linemates if they had a better center - zubrus is not it but will have to do.

the depth works as long as the entire bottom two pairings aren't complete zeroes.

i think sutter has to look at:

parise-zajac-langenbrunner

elias-zubrus-rolston

shannahan-madden-gionta

clarkson-holik-rupp

perhaps its a bit of a punishment to clarkson who doesn't deserve it, but the devils need more even strength offense beyond zzpop.

the way the lines are currently set up, the team is SLOOOOWWWW. They need to get Rupp and Madden away from each other and Shanny away from a 100% regular shift.

Calgary skated circles around the bottom liners. Thought they had better energy too (not really a good sign considering this was the 4th in 6 for them, but they had played poorly, so they were probably motivated), until Kipper pissed away the lead. Then we ran hot and cold and did have some good shifts.

Better than the Toronto game but not 100% there.

Rolston gets a pass this year because I thought Madden and Langs were shot, respectively in 2006 and 2007. When they came back 100% healthy the year after, there was a big difference. But if I'm seeing what I see out of Rolston now, say, next December, it's time to get the time machine and rip up his contract and give it to Streit instead.

Yeah, that had to be embarassing to Kiprusoff. When McIlhenny came in, I thought Kiprusoff had an equipment issue or something.

We were all celebrating and kinda all turned at each other and said they are pulling the GOALIE !?

the way the lines are currently set up, the team is SLOOOOWWWW. They need to get Rupp and Madden away from each other and Shanny away from a 100% regular shift.

Calgary skated circles around the bottom liners. Thought they had better energy too (not really a good sign considering this was the 4th in 6 for them, but they had played poorly, so they were probably motivated), until Kipper pissed away the lead. Then we ran hot and cold and did have some good shifts.

Better than the Toronto game but not 100% there.

Rolston gets a pass this year because I thought Madden and Langs were shot, respectively in 2006 and 2007. When they came back 100% healthy the year after, there was a big difference. But if I'm seeing what I see out of Rolston now, say, next December, it's time to get the time machine and rip up his contract and give it to Streit instead.

I agree on this Shanny is painfully slow compared to the usual top 2 line players. I didnt like the new Zubrus line at all.

We were all celebrating and kinda all turned at each other and said they are pulling the GOALIE !?

I was on the other side of the rink and never noticed he got pulled. I noticed it 2 or 3 minutes later. I don't think it was announced.

This is funny, at least one Devil didn't notice either.

=

Langenbrunner admitted that he didn't notice that the Flames replaced goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff with backup Curtis McElhinney after Zach Parise's goal 1:15 into the third period.

"They pulled him?" Langenbrunner asked.

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/03...ame-2.html#more