Ovechkin, Backstrom mock Rangers' stick salute

Jerrydevil

"Rangers fans are calling it an insult, and WFAN in New York is buzzing with talk that the moment included mockery of the "stick salute" the Blueshirts have popularized."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...maining-content

I don't generally like this type of behavior, but for that self-indulgent display known as the stick salute to Ranger fans, I think a mocking is more than deserved. That BS gets me rollin' my eyes every time.

Edited by Jerrydevil

...but nobody had the nerve to say anything about it, when they saluted their fans in our arena. bullsh!t. people should just stop making a big deal out of it.

Not you. The press and article writers.

Rangers fans are too sensitive..and some of the biggest hypocrites I've ever seen.

Edited by No1betterNJDevs

...but nobody had the nerve to say anything about it, when they saluted their fans in our arena. bullsh!t. people should just stop making a big deal out of it.

Not you. The press and article writers.

Rangers fans are too sensitive..and some of the biggest hypocrites I've ever seen.

Are you saying the Rangers did their stick salute at the Rock (I'm assuming after Game 5 last year)?

Are you saying the Rangers did their stick salute at the Rock (I'm assuming after Game 5 last year)?

I don't remember ... they may have ... if they did, I've blocked it out. :D

Whether they did or they didn't, I still applaud the mocking of it!

Edited by Jerrydevil

Not that I can remember, but they did skate around pointing to their fans and pumping their fists, etc. after the handshake and the Devils left the ice. Avery also thanked the fans for "Five home games" during his fatso interview. Anything horrific and embarrassing that happens to that team is karma and well deserved in my opinion.

Ovechkin should only act arrogantly after the Caps win the series. They are down 2-1 and one more loss and he'll need to learn to slow down his swing... it makes you a better golfer

That stuff is locker room motivation fodder

Okay, I thought I was going crazy for a second (or blocked the stick salute out of my mind like Jerrydevil said). I remember all that other BS though, the Lundqvist lap especially. I've always wanted to punch him in the face for that.

I also read on some other forums that the Ovie on Roszival stick should've been a penalty. I've heard rumors that Ranger fans thought shooting the puck was illegal. They play such boring hockey that I'd expect nothing less.

The Rangers absolutely did their stick salute in game 5 last year. I stayed in my seat in disbelief for about 10 minutes after the game ended. It was... disheartening to say the least. Add insult to injury was the mecca of lets go Rangers chants exiting the building.

The Rangers absolutely did their stick salute in game 5 last year. I stayed in my seat in disbelief for about 10 minutes after the game ended. It was... disheartening to say the least. Add insult to injury was the mecca of lets go Rangers chants exiting the building.

I thought so, too. After hearing everyone else say otherwise.. I was afraid to reply back. Haha! But I definitely do remember that as well. I'm glad that I'm not the only one.

Good. I remember being at the playoff game in 97 when Russ Courtnall stayed on the ice after warm ups. He waited for everyone to get off the ice and the lights went down. He slowly skated down to the Devils end and put the puck in the net and left the ice. He didn't even shoot it from the blue line. He slowly did it to the boos of the arena.

Did they really? I know I fvcking lost it when they went for their little victory lap, especially that prick Lundqvist who was just whooping it up with the fans by the glass behind the goal. I ripped into every Ranger fan I could find at that moment but I don't remember that corny ass stick salute. I'd imagine Lou would have not been to pleased with that either.

That's pretty stupid of Ovechkin and Backstrom. No reason to try and further piss off a team that has you down 2 games to 1 and still has a home game to try and build a huge 3-1 series lead. Now if they did it after a game 6 where they eliminated the Rangers in the Garden, then that would just be absolutely hilarious.

That's pretty stupid of Ovechkin and Backstrom. No reason to try and further piss off a team that has you down 2 games to 1 and still has a home game to try and build a huge 3-1 series lead.

You have a good point, but if their antics result in the Rangers generating more offensive pressure, I'd be amazed! I think the Caps may be poised to take the cheese (even though I picked the Rangers to win this series in 7).

That's pretty stupid of Ovechkin and Backstrom. No reason to try and further piss off a team that has you down 2 games to 1 and still has a home game to try and build a huge 3-1 series lead. Now if they did it after a game 6 where they eliminated the Rangers in the Garden, then that would just be absolutely hilarious.

What everyone is ignoring is that Ovie and Backstrom have been doing that move all year, after every win, home and away. It was not directed at the Rags or their fans (can't believe there were any left at MSG as they all left before Poti scored the 4th goal). As usual they are trying to conjure up something to create a controversy or maybe get the Rags angry - maybe they'll play better? Maybe Avery will try some more crappy tricks? More hits to Varlamov's face at the end of the game?

Anyway - as they usually say - why let the truth get in the way of a good story? Even Puckdaddy mentioned that they had been doing this move all year!

Maybe the Rangers, er Avery shouldn't have pissed off the Caps by trying to chop off Varlamov's head late in the game. Not to mention the fans throwing garbage on the ice. If they showed up those fans, fine by me.

Anybody want to give credit to Ovechkin for all this? Usually the talk is about Avery and how he's a pest, but the entire Rangers World is talking about Ovechkin and his watching the practice.. his celebrations.. and HIS antics. I think it's brilliant. He's out-Averying Avery and he has the Rangers off their focus.

What everyone is ignoring is that Ovie and Backstrom have been doing that move all year, after every win, home and away. It was not directed at the Rags or their fans (can't believe there were any left at MSG as they all left before Poti scored the 4th goal). As usual they are trying to conjure up something to create a controversy or maybe get the Rags angry - maybe they'll play better? Maybe Avery will try some more crappy tricks? More hits to Varlamov's face at the end of the game?

Anyway - as they usually say - why let the truth get in the way of a good story? Even Puckdaddy mentioned that they had been doing this move all year!

Exactly. This is another case of Rangers fans thinking the world revolves around their team, and their team must have a copyright on any kind of center ice celebration, just like the fans have a copyright on any "______ Suck(s)!" chant that follows a whistle. Puh-lease.

I'm not sure what game this is, but the Caps are clearly in road whites and the video was posted back in February. Clearly, not the first time they've done this.