Zach Parise: We're getting tired of losing

Rock

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2009/04...h_parise_4.html

"I don't think anyone expected to be here packing up at this time of the season," Zach Parise said. "Going into the playoffs we were feeling pretty good about ourselves. Even going into Game 6 and Game 7, we thought for sure we'd be moving on. It's amazing how quickly things can change. All of a sudden you're packing up your gear. Really disappointing.

"We've been in this situation the last four years. Every year we say we have to make sure this doesn't happen next year. It's something you never want to experience. This organization has always been a winning one. We've got to get back on top soon here. I think we're all getting pretty tired of losing."

What did the Devils learn from this one?

"I'm not a big believer in learning anything from losing," Parise said. "I don't think you learn a lot."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great quotes. Parise hasn't done much post season winning here.

I think gone are the days where anyone is going to take a hometown discount to stay with Jersey because they "love having a great chance to win the Cup every year." And they definitely won't be getting any (gulp) Rolston-type discounts from free agents either.

The Devils are really just another playoff team around the league right now. I can't see Oduya passing on a larger deal anywhere else because he likes it in Jersey so much and "loves that the Devils are close to the Cup every year."

I was talking to one of my friends about this yesterday. We better start winning in the playoffs again. All Zach wants to do is win- you can see it in his face every game, every shift. The kid has a tremendous amount of heart and desire. When he becomes a FA teams are going to be lining up ready to disown their mothers to sign him. I'm afraid if we continue down this path of first round exits Zach may go to a place where he has a better chance to win.

I liked everything he said except for this.

that was the best one for me. you don't necessarily learn anything from losing, you can't always say you lost because you didn't give everything or didn't prepare enough. sometimes your best just isn't enough. and of course if he said something else, they'd be quoting him and the analysts would pick it apart. everyone takes losing differently, some just see it as something that happens in life and you just have to move on and get over it

I only wish the goaltender would say stuff like this :P

+1

I haven't been around here since the night we lost. Has there been a discussion in any of the threads about Marty's postgame comments? (There were so many new threads started up between yesterday and today that it might take me a few hours to go through each post.) There was something about his whole attitude after the game that irked me.

Edited by 95Crash

or a team that plays like Parise for 60-minutes hard every game of the season. He had a great season and he had some nice quotes there.

HE was out in the first round, he did not have a great season. its a team game. Parise was on the ice for the game tying goal.

That's harsh. He had a great season.

well if you want to say that, so did Zajac, langenbrunner, clemmensen, even Elias. but they all lost in the first round of the playoffs.

well if you want to say that, so did Zajac, langenbrunner, clemmensen, even Elias. but they all lost in the first round of the playoffs.

I'd agree with that, they all had great seasons. They did.

I don't think it's fair to say for 82 games these guys had career years, but since they lost in the first round, it takes it all away.

They had a great season with a disappointing end.

Does anyone like losing? I'm pretty sure no athlete is thinking to himself "Yeah, let's lose tonight!" unless they're pulling a Black Sox/Pete Rose scheme.

You don't think?...Nah.

No, but they are those who can live with it.

Zach hates it.

A guy like Scott Gomez can live with it. If he couldn't, his effort would be a tad more than what it is most of the season.

I liked everything he said except for this.

I disagree. You don't learn anything from the experience of losing other than that you don't want to do it again. However, I'm pretty sure that's something that's already ingrained in every single human being, not just athletes. What you learn from are the specific circumstances that led to the loss.