Martin Brodeur Day is June 18, 2009

Maddog

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Brodeur worked his ass off to be where he is today but one of the reasons why I like him is because he is the anti Roy and ceremonies like this make him a Roy clone.... its basically "all eyes on me" like that jerk did announcing his retirement during the 2003 SCF.

I am becoming very put off by this pseudo "its all about me now" attitude Brodeur sort of has what with the new mask, website, and now this damn ceremony. I would rather him just be plain Brodeur and focus on winning games (particularly in the playoffs) and not on personal accolades.

I am becoming very put off by this pseudo "its all about me now" attitude Brodeur sort of has what with the new mask, website, and now this damn ceremony. I would rather him just be plain Brodeur and focus on winning games (particularly in the playoffs) and not on personal accolades.

As for the website, there's nothing to be pissed about. Sports = business, superstars from all sorts of sports from all over the world have websites or blogs and sell their merchandise. That's how it works now.

And as far as the ceremony... Look at the bright side: at least it brings some attention to the Devils. It's not like they are the Yankees: they need to promote the team and its stars. Besides, you guys are spoiled. Marty is human and he's not at his best in the playoffs nowadays, but he had already achieved enough in his career to be honoured by the state. He deserves it, even if we are still bitter about the Carolina loss. The New Jersey Devils aren't where they are now without Marty Brodeur.

This isn't the Devils honoring Marty or him trying to bring attention to himself. This is the state honoring Marty for becoming the all-time wins leader, I think.

I'm as disappointed as anyone that Marty didn't get us to Round 2, but come on, it's not every day that the state of New Jersey officially recognizes anything related to the Devils.

This should be a nice thing -- something that if you are there to witness it, you might remember it for a long time.

As for the website, there's nothing to be pissed about. Sports = business, superstars from all sorts of sports from all over the world have websites or blogs and sell their merchandise. That's how it works now.

And as far as the ceremony... Look at the bright side: at least it brings some attention to the Devils. It's not like they are the Yankees: they need to promote the team and its stars. Besides, you guys are spoiled. Marty is human and he's not at his best in the playoffs nowadays, but he had already achieved enough in his career to be honoured by the state. He deserves it, even if we are still bitter about the Carolina loss. The New Jersey Devils aren't where they are now without Marty Brodeur.

Agreed.

I agree 100%. You'd think that Marty was the first guy to use a personalized mask. Goalies have been using them for years, and many of them have a whole lot more elaborate "look at me" artwork than Marty's new MB30 mask. But that's what happens with losses...entitled fans who think it's their divine right to see their team win a championship will grasp at anything and everything.

For some reason the 3 Cups (no end to the franchises who'd kill to have just one of 'em), the Vezinas, the shutouts, the wins are no longer good enough for some. Oh well...when the Devils become one of many teams with unsettled goalie situations going into each new season, maybe they'll wish they enjoyed him a little more while he played.

I know Brodeur worked his ass off to be where he is today but one of the reasons why I like him is because he is the anti Roy and ceremonies like this make him a Roy clone.... its basically "all eyes on me" like that jerk did announcing his retirement during the 2003 SCF.

Get it over it with the website and mask...I've already gone over the mask, and he's hardly the only guy out there with a website. I'll admit that, in recent years, he does seem to be a bit more easily rattled than he once was. He's lost a bit of the calm and cool that made him so easily likable. I hardly think that not winning a Cup since '03 negates everything he did up until that point though. I wish Devils "fans" could stop acting like they've been suffering because it's been a whole five seasons since the team won a Cup.

Fixed it! :P

AWE! Just lost your nomination for nicest poster!

but it was a sweet come back!

wow people are really seriously angry about Brodeur's performance? Hwo anyone can call him out on being an ego maniac is beyond me given the pedestal everyone has put him on -- a spot he's earned well enough too I guess I might add!

I dont mind the website or mask -- nothing wrong with trying to control the message a little -- I mean otherwise you have crazy armchair psychologists posting all over message boards what the guy is like - what his problems are totally talking out of there asses because they have no real information to go on. So marty is giving the information - I think that's nice.

Edited by Pepperkorn

This isn't the Devils honoring Marty or him trying to bring attention to himself. This is the state honoring Marty for becoming the all-time wins leader, I think.

I'm as disappointed as anyone that Marty didn't get us to Round 2, but come on, it's not every day that the state of New Jersey officially recognizes anything related to the Devils.

This should be a nice thing -- something that if you are there to witness it, you might remember it for a long time.

Bingo. I'd go to this if I could and I'm not the world's biggest Marty fan right now either. It does annoy me that instead of people saying good job by the Devils actually getting fans involved and giving something back it's just another excuse to make snide Marty comments.

Bingo. I'd go to this if I could and I'm not the world's biggest Marty fan right now either. It does annoy me that instead of people saying good job by the Devils actually getting fans involved and giving something back it's just another excuse to make snide Marty comments.

They're spoiled. It's a totally spoiled fanbase. It seems to be what happens when a team's fanbase is built quickly and mostly through youth, winning Cups and a period of success and not of people who remember or were around for years like 1984, any of those "fabulous" 80's teams or the mid80's/early 90's "blah"....maybe something good/maybe something bad teams. The day is coming where alot of people are going to sh!t or get off the pot when this team has a Flyer-like year of a few seasons ago. Imagine if this team missed the playoffs for 7 years like the Rangers?

Look, i'm not exactly enamored with this organization or Brodeur right now myself. I'm more concerned with the things i see with him as a player more then any BS about his mask or website. I'm concerned with things with this team and organization as a whole, but i am a Devils fan and i've been there since 1984.

However, this is about Devils fans taking a ride together as a group, having fun and honoring a player's accomplishments. We get laughed at and criticized enough that we don't have enough fans and we don't support the team and organization and here's a chance to do that in June and people bitch and moan about it. Unreal. Maybe we do deserve all the criticism we get.

Stop being spoiled little bitches and get on the fvcking train.

Edited by SJP20

They're spoiled. It's a totally spoiled fanbase. It seems to be what happens when a team's fanbase is built quickly and mostly through youth, winning Cups and a period of success and not of people who remember or were around for years like 1984, any of those "fabulous" 80's teams or the mid80's/early 90's "blah"....maybe something good/maybe something bad teams. The day is coming where alot of people are going to sh!t or get off the pot when this team has a Flyer-like year of a few seasons ago. Imagine if this team missed the playoffs for 7 years like the Rangers?

Look, i'm not exactly enamored with this organization or Brodeur right now myself. I'm more concerned with the things i see with him as a player more then any BS about his mask or website. I'm concerned with things with this team and organization as a whole, but i am a Devils fan and i've been there since 1984.

However, this is about Devils fans taking a ride together as a group, having fun and honoring a player's accomplishments. We get laughed at and criticized enough that we don't have enough fans and we don't support the team and organization and here's a chance to do that in June and people bitch and moan about it. Unreal. Maybe we do deserve all the criticism we get.

Stop being spoiled little bitches and get on the fvcking train.

With each season it is getting easier to see who came aboard when. There's been disappointments over the last five seasons for sure, but in the grand scheme of it all five seasons ain't nothing, as far as time elapsed since having last won a Cup goes.

Although I think '95 attracted a fair number of new fans, I think the three Finals-in-four-seasons stretch attracted a whole lot more (to be expected...you don't gain new fans by losing, and to be fair some of these types can't help when they were born). Great, except that these instant-gratification types don't know how to handle it when the party stops for a while. They'll say things like "I wish we had a team like Pittsburgh", without realizing that the Penguins were built on years of sucking. They rip Lou and rip Marty like both parties have done them so much wrong over the years. I'm not saying that either one is above criticism, but to do it with such venom and anger with no regard for their pasts is so unfair, and shortsighted.

Yeah, if this continues, a lot of these guys are going to disappear for a while.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

With each season it is getting easier to see who came aboard when. There's been disappointments over the last five seasons for sure, but in the grand scheme of it all five seasons ain't nothing, as far as time elapsed since having last won a Cup goes.

Although I think '95 attracted a fair number of new fans, I think the three Finals-in-four-seasons stretch attracted a whole lot more (to be expected...you don't gain new fans by losing, and to be fair some of these types can't help when they were born). Great, except that these instant-gratification types don't know how to handle it when the party stops for a while. They'll say things like "I wish we had a team like Pittsburgh", without realizing that the Penguins were built on years of sucking. They rip Lou and rip Marty like both parties have done them so much wrong over the years. I'm not saying that either one is above criticism, but to do it with such venom and anger with no regard for their pasts is so unfair, and shortsighted.

Yeah, if this continues, a lot of these guys are going to disappear for a while.

Good post, and I agree for the most part. I became a Devils fan in '85 when I was 6 years old, so I've seen my fair share of bad hockey, though I was pretty young (I was 15 in '94 when the Devils really "arrived" if you will). I don't disagree with the decision by the state to honor Marty- he deserves it. I'd just rather they wait until he hangs 'em up.

Great post CR.. I admit it's hard for guys my age to really appreciate a season even when it's a losing one.. Devils making it deep in the playoffs was pretty much all we've ever known.. Now an 80 year old Cubs fan can easily brush off another season without a WS title because it's all he/she has ever known, so hopefully that analogy helps (or is it a metaphor??!.. college doesn't teach sh*t)

That being said, I totally agree with your posts and it's good to know there are sane people here.. I was driving home after a game this season when a terrible thought hit me, one day Brodeur will retire.. Kinda sounds obvious, but I think so many people have come to feel comfortable with him in net knowing that we have a sure hall-of-fame goaltender there giving us a solid chance to make the playoffs this year.. Would you feel more comfortable with some new guy in there? Clemmer was fantastic but even with him you couldn't help but wish #30 was back in net.. Like CR said, when we have a new goalie in there playing like crap and the team misses the playoffs you'll all wish Brodeur was back..

None of you were saying "Marty is too old" (or anything negative at all) on March 17th, 2009.. Everyone was on the Brodeur Bandwagon and rightfully so, but turning on him when the Devils lose shows no guts

Marty never won or lost a Cup, the team did.. Marty just put them in the best position to win

This from the Newark Star Ledger:

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2009/06...ain_to_tre.html

New Jersey Devils' Train To Trenton filled within two hours

The Train to Trenton, which will leave Newark's Penn Station June 18 and travel to Trenton as goalie Martin Brodeur is honored, was filled to capacity by more than 300 registering fans in less than two hours on Tuesday.

This from the Newark Star Ledger:

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2009/06...ain_to_tre.html

New Jersey Devils' Train To Trenton filled within two hours

The Train to Trenton, which will leave Newark's Penn Station June 18 and travel to Trenton as goalie Martin Brodeur is honored, was filled to capacity by more than 300 registering fans in less than two hours on Tuesday.

Did anyone get a followup email? All my wife and i got after we registered on the Devils website was something like "thank you and see you on the 18th".

Same..

I still have no one to go with :unsure:

If I wasn't going down to Hilton Head I definitely would have been there.

Did anyone get a followup email? All my wife and i got after we registered on the Devils website was something like "thank you and see you on the 18th".

If you got the " Thank You and see you on the 18th" your in.

But to be on the safe side you can call the Executive Office - (973) 757-6100

I did just to verify I was in, they where really nice.

A friend of mine just called and asked me to join him on the 18th train to Trenton so I am going.

False. You don't have any friends.

But if this is true, I await the reports from fellow NJDevs-ers of you getting dragged off by the cops as you shout all sorts of invectives at Brodeur. Guys, please remember to take pictures. :evil: