Brodeur vs. LucifersDog

Satans Hockey

Who would you rather have stay?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have stay?

• Martin Brodeur
    • LucifersDog

this isn't like a book at all, so that analogy totally falls apart. even if i ignore him, it is simply a given that others will not, so i will end up reading his text quoted, and end up seeing him derail threads with his trolling anyway. i've seen the 'just ignore him' argument on message boards of all sorts, it never works, and if the poster doesn't actually bring anything at all to the table besides one line trolls, it makes for a much better board for him to be banned.

No one forces you to read anything, if you see users quoting him, don't read it. Until it gets to the point of spamming, and it really hasn't, then he is just saying his opinion. Lots of people, including yourself repeat your opinion all the time but because most of the time its pro-devils no one cares. He has half a post per day average, although admittedly I don't car enough to look up his posts per day for the last 3-6 months which would paint a more accurate picture.

If others aren't going to ignore them then clearly they are at least interested in what he has to say, even if most disagree with him. There is a reason everyone does not have him on ignore. Consider this, say all the admins went on vacation for several months and there was no possible policing interaction possible, and someone came on and literally spammed 20 posts per day about something no one cared about, eventually everyone would ignore this person rendering administrative actions moot. Same applies here, only by your own statement there are enough people who would rather argue and discuss his broken record points rather then ignore him.

You can ignore him, you choose not too. And this is a message board that is privately funded and operated, who are you to say what makes for a better board and he is just trolling? I defer to DM's judgement and thus far it doesn't appear he has taking action

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one forces you to read anything, if you see users quoting him, don't read it. Until it gets to the point of spamming, and it really hasn't, then he is just saying his opinion. Lots of people, including yourself repeat your opinion all the time but because most of the time its pro-devils no one cares. He has half a post per day average, although admittedly I don't car enough to look up his posts per day for the last 3-6 months which would paint a more accurate picture.

If others aren't going to ignore them then clearly they are at least interested in what he has to say, even if most disagree with him. There is a reason everyone does not have him on ignore. Consider this, say all the admins went on vacation for several months and there was no possible policing interaction possible, and someone came on and literally spammed 20 posts per day about something no one cared about, eventually everyone would ignore this person rendering administrative actions moot. Same applies here, only by your own statement there are enough people who would rather argue and discuss his broken record points rather then ignore him.

You can ignore him, you choose not too. And this is a message board that is privately funded and operated, who are you to say what makes for a better board and he is just trolling? I defer to DM's judgement and thus far it doesn't appear he has taking action

His opinion is not the problem...its intention....he's not trying to contribute to the conversation...he's deliberately trying to derail.

Look at the context of where said opinions are posted.

And for the record, I'm not interested in what he has to say (cause I know already), but it does create a problem when he derails a good topic by inciting a group of posters to come after him regarding a post that his zero relevance to the topic short of ticking people off.

I too trust DM's judgement but maybe he's not even aware of the issue?

I agree that at least a warning could help this board from just becoming chaos.

how do you do that again? I remember doing it for TD, but I don't remember how...

- Click on "My Controls"

- On the left side, under "Options," click on "Manage Ignored Users"

- Type in the user's name under "Add a new user to your list"

OR

- Click on the user's name and, from the dropdown menu, click "View Member Profile"

- On the left side under "Options," choose "Ignore User" from the dropdown menu

- Enjoy a world free from at least one more useless troll

His opinion is not the problem...its intention....he's not trying to contribute to the conversation...he's deliberately trying to derail.

Look at the context of where said opinions are posted.

And for the record, I'm not interested in what he has to say (cause I know already), but it does create a problem when he derails a good topic by inciting a group of posters to come after him regarding a post that his zero relevance to the topic short of ticking people off.

I too trust DM's judgement but maybe he's not even aware of the issue?

I agree that at least a warning could help this board from just becoming chaos.

Im bored, im stuck at the office so I can't believe I actually did this but just scanning his last 40 or so posts, 60-70% of them are on topic which is about as good as your average poster to sub average poster imo. That said he does go off topic sometimes and includes unnecessary jabs at Marty or Lou but other posters do that as well. So where is the line going to be drawn? I think part of the problem is, when he isn't dissing the two mentioned, people don't notice it as much and just fixate when he is complaining. In a quick and unscientific survey of his posts I respectfully disagree with the idea that he is intentionally derailing every thread he posts in.

Im bored, im stuck at the office so I can't believe I actually did this but just scanning his last 40 or so posts, 60-70% of them are on topic which is about as good as your average poster to sub average poster imo. That said he does go off topic sometimes and includes unnecessary jabs at Marty or Lou but other posters do that as well. So where is the line going to be drawn? I think part of the problem is, when he isn't dissing the two mentioned, people don't notice it as much and just fixate when he is complaining. In a quick and unscientific survey of his posts I respectfully disagree with the idea that he is intentionally derailing every thread he posts in.

Wow, just wow. And I thought you were a radical in the politics forum. He's conveniently on topic when he posts a bash of Marty in a game thread - even btw after games the Devils win - that's not the point. Though I fail to see how bashing him in an OOT thread is on topic but whatever.

Basically all of his posts are shots at the above (and Stevens) and not just on-ice but off-ice nonsense. And when HASN'T he dissed Marty, Lou or Stevens? That's 98% of his posts. If he would actually you know, contribute anything positive or even constructive that'd be one thing but he doesn't. They aren't bashes with any form of intelligent debate, they're just bashes for the sake of whining and drawing attention to himself.

DinLA, DM knows full well about GR and his many handles - he's been haunting this board and its predecessors for at least 7-8 years. Like CRASHER pointed out this is at least his third seperate handle (after GetReal and IceMan I think), so banning him doesn't seem to do much good anyway. It is kinda pathetic that he comes back time and again after being kicked out but then again his posts are pathetic so what else is new?

Edited by Hasan4978

Wow, just wow. And I thought you were a radical in the politics forum.

That was entirely unnecessary.

He's conveniently on topic when he posts a bash of Marty in a game thread - even btw after games the Devils win - that's not the point.

Basically all of his posts are shots at the above (and Stevens) and not just on-ice but off-ice nonsense. And when HASN'T he dissed Marty, Lou or Stevens? That's 98% of his posts. If he would actually you know, contribute anything positive or even constructive that'd be one thing but he doesn't. They aren't bashes with any form of intelligent debate, they're just bashes for the sake of whining and drawing attention to himself.

DinLA, DM knows full well about GR and his many handles - he's been haunting this board and its predecessors for at least 7-8 years. Like CRASHER pointed out this is at least his third seperate handle (after GetReal and IceMan I think), so banning him doesn't seem to do much good anyway. It is kinda pathetic that he comes back time and again after being kicked out.

I don't agree with your mathematical assessment. I know you know how to query up just a members posts but for those who don't you can just hover over their name and click "find members post" and while I will agree a disproportionate amount are devoted to anti marty / lou comments, it is no where near 98%. He has lots of nice things to say about the red wings in the sample I looked at (the last 50 or so posts) there's stuff about sutter and vanderbeek that's neutral and on topic. I maintain 2/3rd of his posts are at least on topic. repetitive, but on topic.

DinLA, DM knows full well about GR and his many handles - he's been haunting this board and its predecessors for at least 7-8 years. Like CRASHER pointed out this is at least his third seperate handle (after GetReal and IceMan I think), so banning him doesn't seem to do much good anyway. It is kinda pathetic that he comes back time and again after being kicked out but then again his posts are pathetic so what else is new?

Thanks Hasan. I am not the only admin here, MSweet and to a large extent Rowdy are around all day. LD is an obvious troll when he wants to be. I don't get wound up over idiotic trolls where they don't even try to be argumentive just out right absurd. Officer Farva and his many names are the trolls I dislike with personal insults and antagonistic comments. GR/LD/IM is just comical to me.

We don't really rule by mob here, so this poll holds no water. LD should realize by now his current handle is at an end soon at this pace of trolling.

That was entirely unnecessary.

I don't agree with your mathematical assessment. I know you know how to query up just a members posts but for those who don't you can just hover over their name and click "find members post" and while I will agree a disproportionate amount are devoted to anti marty / lou comments, it is no where near 98%. He has lots of nice things to say about the red wings in the sample I looked at (the last 50 or so posts) there's stuff about sutter and vanderbeek that's neutral and on topic. I maintain 2/3rd of his posts are at least on topic. repetitive, but on topic.

One-line posts that say Go Wings really add a lot.

Admittedly I have him on ignore so I generally don't see his posts until they get responded to but I've seen enough of them over the years to know that he is truly a 'Broken Record'.

I was just surprised anyone that's been here for years (or at least long enough for 5,000 posts) would even attempt to defend him. If you want to defend him on the basis of free speech fine by me, but he is a troll and this isn't a public board. DM, as the site owner has the right to be as lenient or stringent as he wants. You don't have to agree with that but censorship has never really been an issue here.

When LD creates a thread like that stupid 'Known Fact' one a while back with rambling and no article or real argument, does that count as on-topic? Since it's his topic. To me that one's just trolling.

Edited by Hasan4978

One-line posts that say Go Wings really add a lot.

Admittedly I have him on ignore so I generally don't see his posts until they get responded to but I've seen enough of them over the years to know that he is truly a 'Broken Record'. I was just surprised anyone that's been here for years (or at least long enough for 5,000 posts) would even attempt to defend him.

I am not defending him in the sense that I agree or or promote what he brings to these forums. If I am defending him at all is is more in passing because I feel the idea of creating a poll to ban users would set a terrible precedent when there are already mechanics in place that do an effective job of policing a person overall. Don't feed the trolls and they go away.

However I have said my piece, and now DM has rendered this whole discussion moot.

If you want to defend him on the basis of free speech fine by me, but he is a troll and this isn't a public board. DM, as the site owner has the right to be as lenient or stringent as he wants. You don't have to agree with that but censorship has never really been an issue here.

When LD creates a thread like that stupid 'Known Fact' one a while back with rambling and no article or real argument, does that count as on-topic? Since it's his topic. To me that one's just trolling.

You needn't remind me who maintins, controls and ultimately decides the fate of this board and its posters. As I noted just minutes ago

I defer to DM's judgement and thus far it doesn't appear he has taking action

I do not appreciate you trying to paint me as the someone who does not agree with DM's rules. At no point was I questioning his judgment, rather the "mobs" and the implications of following a online poll of all things. Where exactly where you going with that train of thought?

Yes, I would agree that one thread he made was a classic example trolling.

Don't feed the trolls and they go away.

they always get fed and they never go away. i used to debate him a while ago when he would actually put thought into his trolling, but now that it's all marty based i have nothing to do with it. 2003 was the year he really got discredited, he was all over Burns, Marty, Stevens all season long then the Devils won the Cup.

re: trolls 'going away' - beetlebum didn't just go away, he got banned, so if anyone thought that was a valid example, it's not.

i agree that a poll to ban users is not good for the site in general, but there's only one LD. if there were 3 guys doing what he is, this board would be a lot worse off.

Edited by Triumph

I do not appreciate you trying to paint me as the someone who does not agree with DM's rules. At no point was I questioning his judgment, rather the "mobs" and the implications of following a online poll of all things. Where exactly where you going with that train of thought?

Yes, I would agree that one thread he made was a classic example trolling.

I never said you had to agree with DM, that I agreed with him by rote or that he was doing nothing either, just that how the board's run is his choice which you did acknowledge later. Your initial argument seemed to be one of free speech, you were comparing it to censorship of books after all.

Edited by Hasan4978

Either there are:

(A) 14 people who REALLY hate Brodeur

(B) 14 delusional people who think GetReal makes a contribution to the site

C) 14 Jewish people in Florida who voted for Pat Buchanan

(D) Some crazy combination of the above

Edited by Don

Either there are:

(A) 14 people who REALLY hate Brodeur

(B) 14 delusional people who think GetReal makes a contribution to the site

C) 14 Jewish people in Florida who voted for Pat Buchanan

(D) Some crazy combination of the above

Disagree because there is a possibility that LucifersDog could have clones in this site.

Disagree because there is a possibility that LucifersDog could have clones in this site.

if he had different accounts i think the admins would have figured that out, assuming they can see the IP addresses of each person's account.