GDT: 10/5/09 Rangers @ Devils 7pm

njdevil26

And took 2 penalties. I don't know, he doesnt seem his usual pesty self. ( Is pesty a word?)

He's needed in a more offensive role on this team now then a pest/fighter/annoyer

the biggest thing that annoys me is the goalie still let soft goals in despite Avery being out with a torn pants :P

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's needed in a more offensive role on this team now then a pest/fighter/annoyer

the biggest thing that annoys me is the goalie still let soft goals in despite Avery being out with a torn pants :P

Oh hell, I'd take just one 5 on 3 goal! :lol:

For the first time in seemingly decades, I don't feel very optimistic about this team or the coaching. I am not surprised we are 0-2, I AM surprised how weak Marty looks right now. I now Marty will improve, but the prospects of this team making the playoffs to me is questionable.

I am hoping Jacques can right the ship, but we don't have the depth or the quality forwards we need to win.

Sorry guys. I hope I am wrong.

For the first time in seemingly decades, I don't feel very optimistic about this team or the coaching. I am not surprised we are 0-2, I AM surprised how weak Marty looks right now. I now Marty will improve, but the prospects of this team making the playoffs to me is questionable.

I am hoping Jacques can right the ship, but we don't have the depth or the quality forwards we need to win.

Sorry guys. I hope I am wrong.

Understand the frustration, but I won't judge this team until they play at least 10 games with Patrik Elias. He makes that big of a difference. This is a MUCH different team with Elias in the line-up, and on the power play. I agree that Marty needs to find his game fast though... not a good start for him.

Understand the frustration, but I won't judge this team until they play at least 10 games with Patrik Elias. He makes that big of a difference. This is a MUCH different team with Elias in the line-up, and on the power play. I agree that Marty needs to find his game fast though... not a good start for him.

I agree Patty is good for at least one goal a game as he helps free up Parise and helps the PP.

But its the checking line that I am also concerned about.

Each year Madden was able to take points away from the opposition's best players. I don't see anyone filling that (Gainey, Carbo, Draper, Madden -type of) gap. Rather than winning 2-1, or 3-2 I see alot of 3-1, 5-2 type of losses coming our way.

But Manta,

It seems for years we've wanted to stop the line matching. Why can't we fight fire with fire. Jamie, Travis are very good defensive players. Zach is getting there, and Jacques will only help to make them more defensively aware. Why can't we make the Gaboriks, the Crosbys play defense?

I was sick of Madden and Pandolfo getting 20 minutes a night against the teams's best players, and thus defeating our chances of scoring in 1/3 of the games that were being played. We were playing Prevent way too much. It's hard to win like that.

I didn't pay close attention last night because I was watching the game at work, but can I assume it wasn't Pandolfo out against Gaborik like it used to be...or was he?

Theyve all been pretty bad, but my post is dedicated to the awful play of Cory Murphy. How he is on the PP is beyond me.

I miss Salmella :(

Why, what did Salmela do for us? I remember people talking about him the same way they talk about Murphy now and how they talked about Oduya 2 years ago.

But Manta,

It seems for years we've wanted to stop the line matching. Why can't we fight fire with fire. Jamie, Travis are very good defensive players. Zach is getting there, and Jacques will only help to make them more defensively aware. Why can't we make the Gaboriks, the Crosbys play defense?

I was sick of Madden and Pandolfo getting 20 minutes a night against the teams's best players, and thus defeating our chances of scoring in 1/3 of the games that were being played. We were playing Prevent way too much. It's hard to win like that.

I didn't pay close attention last night because I was watching the game at work, but can I assume it wasn't Pandolfo out against Gaborik like it used to be...or was he?

Sutter tried to stop matching lines early in his coaching tenure here and had to go back to playing with our strengths (Madden). Regardless of how sick it made some people, the system WINS games).

I know Madden is gone, but I think we lost far more than we gained by letting him go. Our PK is going to suffer in addition to canceling the opposition best players. Its going to be a long year.

But Manta,

the devils did not match lines last night, besides 4th on 4th. the zajac, zubrus, and niedermayer lines all got a crack against the dubinsky line. i agree 9000% that zajac's line should ultimately be going up against crosby, richards, tavares, and dubinsky (lol). either that or a 3rd line with dainius zubrus. but not a line centered by rob niedermayer with jay pandolfo on it.

madden was not a strength of this team but we all knew that already.

Edited by Triumph

Of course not, nor was Gainey, Carbonneau, Lehtinen or Drapper their teams just won Championships by happenstance.

Don't you have to pretend your doing something important about now?

But this is a different era Manta...and correct me if I am wrong, didn't Datsyuk play against Crosby...

Pittsburgh won without any HUGE AWESOME checking liner. You mention Jere Lehtninen, who's team has been a wreck in recent memory. The Ducks won Moen, Pahlsson and Niedermayer...all of which who were younger, faster than Madden.

Of course not, nor was Gainey, Carbonneau, Lehtinen or Drapper their teams just won Championships by happenstance.

Don't you have to pretend your doing something important about now?

Madden was pretty poor last season. We only have 2 games so far but a season of Niedermayer like this adds a lot more than last seasons Madden.

yeah i miss salmela too, he of the 0 power play points in 17 games with 3 minutes a game of power play time.

Odd that you put Salmella and PP together when I didnt relate the two in my post.

Why, what did Salmela do for us? I remember people talking about him the same way they talk about Murphy now and how they talked about Oduya 2 years ago.

Loads of potential

But this is a different era Manta...and correct me if I am wrong, didn't Datsyuk play against Crosby...

Pittsburgh won without any HUGE AWESOME checking liner. You mention Jere Lehtninen, who's team has been a wreck in recent memory. The Ducks won Moen, Pahlsson and Niedermayer...all of which who were younger, faster than Madden.

zetterberg played against crosby, that i know for sure.

and the ducks broke up the moen, pahlsson, niedermayer trio last year and sent each to the four corners of the world because they weren't getting it done, none of them can score. staal is the huge awesome checking liner btw on pittsburgh.

the point is that a player who provides little or no offense is going to provide little defense as well. if you can't keep the puck in the other team's end it's coming back into yours. the future of the NHL is strength on strength.

Edited by Triumph

and the ducks broke up the moen, pahlsson, niedermayer trio last year and sent each to the four corners of the world because they weren't getting it done, none of them can score. staal is the huge awesome checking liner btw on pittsburgh.

the point is that a player who provides little or no offense is going to provide little defense as well. if you can't keep the puck in the other team's end it's coming back into yours. the future of the NHL is strength on strength.

Exactly what I was trying to say. A third line of Niedermayer-Zubrus-Clarkson could do this team much better than another year of Madden on it.

Agreed on the era, but the philosophy remains the same. Teams that are consistent contenders have this counter point to the opposition.

I think Datsyuk/Zetterberg & Crosby/Malkin are exceptions, I don't see the other 28 teams having that kind of unique firepower, we certainly don't, so, you play with the strengths you have.

Agreed on the era, but the philosophy remains the same. Teams that are consistent contenders have this counter point to the opposition.

I think Datsyuk/Zetterberg & Crosby/Malkin are exceptions, I don't see the other 28 teams having that kind of unique firepower, we certainly don't, so, you play with the strengths you have.

I think Travis and Zach have that potential to be our Datsyuk/Zetterberg - interms of their ability to counter attack the other team's #1 lines while producing on their own. I think they need to learn the finer points of the defensive game, and I firmly believe this is why Lemaire was brought in here.

I think Travis and Zach have that potential to be our Datsyuk/Zetterberg - interms of their ability to counter attack the other team's #1 lines while producing on their own. I think they need to learn the finer points of the defensive game, and I firmly believe this is why Lemaire was brought in here.

Respectfully disagree HOI:

I don't see Travis or Zach ever producing in the 90 point range. I think they are a great combo, but would never put them in a Datsyuk/Zetterberg type of category. I think those type of combo's are unique and will probably become even more rare in the upcoming years as team grapple with the salary cap.

I usually just come in with zero expectations. Especially with this team.

My expectations weren't all that high to begin with ...

Right. I mean I know we're the Devils, the team that always competes, but ... roughly speaking, we have one potential superstar, a handful of good-to-very good players, a bunch of role players and a bunch of question marks.

which is why I like the "vanilla grindy system" which is not fancy enough for the Pepperkorns of the world. if you reduce the game to half-court battles and can keep the puck in their court consistantly, you're well on the way to winning.