LEAFS ACQUIRE GIGUERE for TOSKALA, BLAKE TO DUCKS

msweet

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308472

The Toronto Maple Leafs have acquired veteran goaltender Jean-Sebastien from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for netminder Vesa Toskala and veteran forward Jason Blake.

The deal reunites Giguere with his long-time goaltending coach Francois Allaire, as well as former GM Brian Burke.

The most valuable player of the 2003 Stanley Cup playoffs, Giguere needed to waive his no-trade clause in order for the deal to go through.

this was my post in the other thread, but since this trade has its own now, i'll just restate it here:

will giguere effectively become the starter in toronto or will he be a 1A/B? gustavsson hasn't been spectacular, but i thought they still were hoping he could develop into a formidable starter. is giggy okay with taking on mentor role or is he starter or bust? i mean...he was all kinds of pissed when he lost the job in anaheim.

My God, the Leafs try on Goalie's like my wife tries on dresses before we go out. If you're a fan from Toronto, what kind of identity do you have between the pipes?

*Since 2005: Martin Gerber, Curtis Joseph, Vesa Toskala, Andrew Raycroft, Ed Belfour, Tuukka Rask, Scott Clemmensen, Trevor Kidd, Olaf Kolzig, Mikael Tellqvist, Jean`Sebastien Aubin, Jonas Gustavsson, and now.. JS Giguere? Again, this is only since 2005! Kinda makes you appreciate having Brodeur all these years.

this was my post in the other thread, but since this trade has its own now, i'll just restate it here:

will giguere effectively become the starter in toronto or will he be a 1A/B? gustavsson hasn't been spectacular, but i thought they still were hoping he could develop into a formidable starter. is giggy okay with taking on mentor role or is he starter or bust? i mean...he was all kinds of pissed when he lost the job in anaheim.

i think he'll be in a 50/30 kind of split, but it'll depend on his play. if he's not playing well, he won't start. i think his days of playing 65 games a year may be over.

also gotta wonder if he can take the pressure from the media. he's got a delicate situation at home with his family, right? the debate seems to be whether toronto took a contract or a goalie. i still say contract right now. giggy needs to do quite a bit to turn it around and i really think gustavsson will get to where he needs to be in time. if giggy can mentor him a bit while accepting a 1B position, the leafs might actually work this out.

Yeah you're right, Giguere is right back in the same position he was in last year. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.