Rumor- Kovalchuk to Devils

adavid

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why is this putting the knife in him? it just hasn't worked out here - that's pretty plain to see. and i couldn't disagree with you more regarding any interest he's putting in. he is the epitome of a floater of a hockey player - i'm not saying this as a hater or a knee jerk know-nothing fan. i think you know me long enough around here to know that i'll be reasonable and will give some leeway too. but unless the play comes to him, he's filler at best and a liability (like his bonehead turnover on goal 1) at worst.

again - this is semantics - i don't think lou would ask him to waive it because it means he's no longer wanted and he's bound to sulk and rolston likely wouldn't waive it anyway.

rolston and the devils right now are a lose-lose in all cases.

no, it's all semantics. i don't think 'it just hasn't worked out here' is totally fair - there was a stretch this year where rolston looked okay, and was even trying on board battles.

i don't even know if having him waive it would be a good idea for the future. there's obviously no chance that the devils sign kovalchuk long term even in your scenario (do the math, it won't work out, the devils are just waaaay too top-heavy there), so it's a question of can you do better than rolston on the FA market this year. i think that's a legit question given how terrible the UFA market is right now.

no, it's all semantics. i don't think 'it just hasn't worked out here' is totally fair - there was a stretch this year where rolston looked okay, and was even trying on board battles.

i don't even know if having him waive it would be a good idea for the future. there's obviously no chance that the devils sign kovalchuk long term even in your scenario (do the math, it won't work out, the devils are just waaaay too top-heavy there), so it's a question of can you do better than rolston on the FA market this year. i think that's a legit question given how terrible the UFA market is right now.

Well, I think you take your chances. I really think a guy like Kubina would be a good fit here, and then you don't need Rolston on the PP. The Devils are top heavy offensively, just look at their defensive pay breakdown - it's too low to be a serious contender. And they aren't getting enough considering the imbalance.

Rolston hasn't worked out here. I'm not sure how you can come to a new conclusion - He was trying earlier in the year, but he's too up and down, sulky and just mediocre. I think you can do better than Rolston, even if it's Rafi Torres.

Edited by HellOnICE

i'll trust you on the math - i think i could conceivably make it happen but that's not really the point. HOI said it right - rafi torres (read: anyone) is better than rolston b/c his $5MM goes away - that's $ for martin, parise, clarkson and a mid level acquisition (whether through trade or UFA).

i appreciate that there's not a lot out there on the market but rolston has been a mistake and the next two years will likely turn it into gigantic bust.

i dont even think this guy wants to play in the NHL, he turned down 100m from the thrashers, so hell prob end up in the KHL, where he can score 99 goals a season.

No he wants 100m to play in the NHL, just not in Atlanta.

To be honnest i can see why as well , Atlanta is a bit of a joke.

It's not always right to fault the player. So many people give Heatley crap. Players ask for trades all the time in the league. Just so happens that the Sens GM (Murray) is a loud mouth and a baby and blew the whole thing up and really screwed the deal for himself. Mad at Heatley for refusing to go to Edmonton? I would have done the same. I wouldn't want to live and have a family there let alone play for the crappy Oilers. He did the right thing for his career and now he has a chance to win in San Jose.

Same with Kovalchuk. If I was him and the Thrashers offered me 10 mil a year and then the Penguins, Sharks, Wings, Blackhawks, or even Devils offered 7 mil a year, I'd go there. He wants a chance to win after being the superstar on a poorly run organization in a crappy city for years.

It's not always right to fault the player. So many people give Heatley crap. Players ask for trades all the time in the league. Just so happens that the Sens GM (Murray) is a loud mouth and a baby and blew the whole thing up and really screwed the deal for himself. Mad at Heatley for refusing to go to Edmonton? I would have done the same. I wouldn't want to live and have a family there let alone play for the crappy Oilers. He did the right thing for his career and now he has a chance to win in San Jose.

Same with Kovalchuk. If I was him and the Thrashers offered me 10 mil a year and then the Penguins, Sharks, Wings, Blackhawks, or even Devils offered 7 mil a year, I'd go there. He wants a chance to win after being the superstar on a poorly run organization in a crappy city for years.

I do not think there is any way he takes a $3 mill/year LESS deal to go to a real contender. Over a 5 yr contract that would be $15 mill less. Players want to win, but they want to get truckloads of money more. With that being said:

38906517.jpg

Please - can anyone here really see this team winning against any WC team - Chicago, SJ - not happening. Not even WASH.

I have hard time believing that this team could win a 7 game series against anyone in the top 8 right now.

We've been ousted out of two 1st rounds the past 2 seasons:

a.) A bad defeat against a bitter rival

b.) A crushing defeat a the buzzer.

<snipped for space>

I hate to be a negative nelly, but this groups still needs pieces, and we all know what they are.

Agreed. At the moment it's difficult to see the point down the line where we take the Caps in a series until Ovie retires.

Agreed. At the moment it's difficult to see the point down the line where we take the Caps in a series until Ovie retires.

Capitals are good mostly because of their RFAs, Semin won't be making 4.6 for too much long and neither will Backstrom make 2.4. Varlamov won't be playing for .850 of a million. Theyre time to compete hard is now, in several years they won't be weak but for now they have a solid club.

I do not think there is any way he takes a $3 mill/year LESS deal to go to a real contender. Over a 5 yr contract that would be $15 mill less. Players want to win, but they want to get truckloads of money more. With that being said:

38906517.jpg

I believe the full chant was:

"Potvin Sucks,(duh duh duh duduh) Potvin beats his wife (duh duh duh duduh)"

:)

i love how the negativity captures the entire forum in a few games. devils will make the playoffs and if we are healthy we should make the second round.

We need to get PAST the 2nd round. The clock is ticking for Marty and Elias. For as much regular season success as this team has had since winning the Cup in 2003, we have not made it to an Eastern Conference Final. I can't speak for any other fans, but to me this is tragic.

well i would love that, too, but lou won't get any useful players, so we won't make it past second with what we have, it's just the way it is. we just hope to develop the existing good talent and push with what we have. who knows maybe the kids will show up in the playoffs by accident and carry us to the top.

well i would love that, too, but lou won't get any useful players, so we won't make it past second with what we have, it's just the way it is. we just hope to develop the existing good talent and push with what we have. who knows maybe the kids will show up in the playoffs by accident and carry us to the top.

I'd love to get Kovy, but would he really help in a run for the cup...I just dont know. The Devils still need a real 2nd line center. It's been the biggest issue for the past couple seasons.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.