GDT:7:00 Devs vs. Rangers. MSG

Devs3cups

I will say though, I do like Kovy standing up for Marty. He'll know better next time, and next time we play them we'll have a different lineup yet again...so the way Kovy HATES the Rangers is perfect for us.

I can say pretty confidently that I think the devils will pummel the rags in their next two meetings, barring Lundquist doesn't transform into Jesus again.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness cups, we did buzz for the first 8-10 minutes of period one though.

So, lets say the urgency for 48 minutes.

Same difference though, vaild points.

This team is having horrible 2cnd periods.

We really need to get that 1st goal.

Devils are still in their slump even though they won some games...

This slump actually began on the blackout game vs. Tampa Bay on 1/8/2010. Before that game the Devils were rolling along at a 30-10-1 record. Since then the Devils are 6-9-2 in their last 17-games...The Olympic break will help this team, but first they do need to beat up on the Flyers in the home and home and win in Carolina.

maybe its because we lost to the rangers, but this team's play has been disgustingly uncohesive, and I'm so sick of it.

the d run around so badly at times, i wonder if the playoffs are in the cards. the rangers play sh!tty hockey like this, not us.

so pissed. words cannot describe how much I loathe losing to the rangers. i sent the tv remote flying after the second. im sane again after some sleep.

OK, this is the first chance I've had to post since attending this game. So here are my thoughts, in the order that they enter my jumbled mind:

1) The Garden sucks. I sat in the front row of seciton 229 and couldn't see anything happening in the nearest corner. Beer was $9.50. The lights are dimmer than they were when the lights went out at the Rock. Crowded, narrow concourses. I think there were two men's rooms on the entire level. Awful, awful arena. If it wasn't for the location, that place woulda been torn down and the rubble woulda been pissed on decades ago.

2) Rangers fans yell too much during the National Anthem. Every fanbase at every sporting event has a few that ruin the song by yelling stuff during certain points, but never have I heard the song disrespected so much by so many. Made me sick to my stomach.

3) Do the Rangers fans really need dramatic video montages and introductions for every period? Really? Turn the lights on and drop the puck. If that isn't enough to get you pumped for another 20 minutes of hockey, you shouldn't be watching.

4) I saw plenty of empty seats in the lower section closest to the ice. Plenty.

5) The Devils badly outplayed the Rangers, but Lundqvist was the difference. When Mike Mottau has two legitimate scoring chances against you, you know your defense is suffering from some serious breakdowns. I hate the guy and I think he's a fraud, but Lundqvist was the difference. More specifically, his glove was the difference. Unbelievable game from him.

6) That said, the high thigh-risers on his leg pads made at least three, maybe four saves for him in the third period. All he had to do was lay one pad down on the ice, use a minimal amount of positioning, and the Devils were left with nothing along the ice. It's my biggest peeve about the game today, and that third period was a perfect example of how it cheapens the game and the position.

7) Marty had a brutal game. But he'll bounce back. He's Marty, he always does.

8) Good to see Elias back in the lineup.

9) If the offense can produce this many scoring chances with a rusty Elias and a Kovalchuk who still really doesn't know his teammates, just imagine how it'll look a few weeks down the line. Nasty!

10) I'm not sure who is more worthless, Andrew Peters or Brian Rolston. I was happy that Peters took a misconduct, unhappy to hear it was only for 10 minutes. And Rolston ... I've never seen a guy cherry-pick so much, and get set up for so many one-on-ones, and do absolutely nothing of any consequence with any of them. Worthless. They both need to go back to their homes on Suck Island.

11) I don't know the details of how it all went down, but if Torts sent Avery out to bait Kovalchuk into going off the ice for the last few minutes, then hats off to him. Brilliant idea and it worked. But, also from what little I could tell from where I was sitting, I'm glad Kovie defended Marty.

12) Douchebag encounters were held to a relatively low number. The worst of them didn't happen until after the game.

a) Jackoff guy squeezing into the elevator to Track 4 after the game, stepping on my girlfriend's feet and nearly getting himself beaten to a bloody pulp by an elevator full of newly-formed enemies.

b) Another jackoff on the elevator who apparently only knew how to say two words: "De-vils Su-uck."

c) The second jackoff was on our train, and kept repeating the only two words in his vacabulary to the point where my girlfriend and I moved to another car. In this car, there was a fat guy talking to his kids about many of the finer points of the game. But he told his kids not to brag about the win when they went back to school on Monday, because "All Devils fans are arrogant, and they'd all be rubbing it in your face if they won. Remember, Rangers fans are classy." I wanted to ask him to move up one train car and explain how our two-worded friend was "classy" to his kids, but it isn't my place to do that to a father in front of his children.

I think that's all. If you read it all, then ... well ... I'm surprised. That's a lot of words up there.

oh yea daneyko, that's a great point about the anthem - when i went to MSG, i saw two guys just talking through the anthem. now look, i'm far from the most patriotic guy, but jesus, have at least a modicum of respect. the only other place i've seen that is at college, where being a self-centered douche is justifiable by any number of lameass philosophical constructs.

also rangers fans do need video montages for every period because they were too busy talking about mergers and acquisitions to watch the hockey - these helpful summaries mean that you don't even have to watch what's going on on the ice.

If I wasn't procrastinating from studying I would not have read that entire thing honestly, but sounds like the kind of time you could expect going to the Garden. The lighting is awful I agree, and if you look up at the actual lights they look archaic. The place was not designed for hockey so theres plenty of limited view seats. The fact that you were on the same train as that guy tells me he lives in Jersey, so if you want to talk about class dont root for new york if you live in new jersey. Lundqvist is a good goalie, but he would give up more goals without his pads, and they are even bigger in real life. They talk about Marty being "fat," but what Queen lacks in size he makes up with giant pads. Just look that the 2 goalies at warmup when they are close to each other, it's no comparison he looks like a transformer or something. His best save was actually going wide but it was the turning point of the game IN MY OPINION. They felt like he couldn't be beat with a regular shot and kept trying to force passes that weren't there. Kovalchuk and Elias where the highlight of the night. They look like they were born to play together. But Marty didn't have THAT bad of a game. The first goal he had no chance on and if I remember the second was a deflection. We'll get the flyers tonight don't worry

I have never gone to msg before the other night, and I can gladly say I will never being going there again. I thought I was losing my mind due to the lighting. I could not figure out if my eyes were playing tricks on me or the ice was really yellow. I was up at the top, view wasnt that bad, but i felt like the ceiling was going to squash me. It felt like a hotel room. I was wearing my devils jersey and although I heard rumors about the fans being rude, sad thing is they actually werent. I actually thought it was amusing when they scored and the whole section pointed at me as if I was just on the ice that got scored on. I assume it's like that everywhere though. I spilt a beer and popcorn on 2 rangers fans and they were really cool about it. Of course I didnt do it on purpose, but for some reason they love giving you beer to the top of the cup and put a cap on it so it foams out constantly. Horrible that the devils had to lose, but more horrible that i spend 120 bucks to watch a hockey game played on yellow ice. I can honestly say I will never take our arena for granted and can't wait to go on friday. Kind of off topic, but since the olympics start the 12th are they gonna rest players on friday?

also rangers fans do need video montages for every period because they were too busy talking about mergers and acquisitions to watch the hockey - these helpful summaries mean that you don't even have to watch what's going on on the ice.

Which reminds me ... maybe 1/3rd of their fans were wearing team colors of any sort, and half of them had a shirt and tie on under their jerseys. Now, normally I'd understand since it's mid-town Manhattan and people are probably coming from work, but this was a Saturday night.

Also, with the exception of "Potvin Sucks," every chant was started by the jumbotron.

All Rangers fan bashing aside, I've gotta say that for the most part they remained pretty classy. I got more compliments from fellow Devils fans for my throwback Lemieux sweater than I got jabs from Rangers fans. But it all turns with the tide. More than any other fanbase, their a-hole fans come out of the woodwork in droves when the team is doing well. When they're out of a playoff spot, it's more of the older, gentlemanly fans who have stuck by the team through thick and thin that you'll come across.

Ranger fans are not too too terrible considering some others out there. I've been to MSG a few times for the Devils and I've never had any trouble. Ranger fans like to talk... but it seems as if they won't go further than that. (Unless there's tons of alcohol involved. But then, it's not a Ranger fan thing. Anyone is an a$$hole with too much booze).

Flyer fans are the worst, obviously. So I'm looking forward to seeing some stories if anyone is going down there tonight.

They like to talk, like Ranger fans, but Flyer fans will actually go further and do something about it. They purposely make their building like a haunted house for other fans... constantly looking over their shoulders.

If I wasn't procrastinating from studying I would not have read that entire thing honestly, but sounds like the kind of time you could expect going to the Garden. The lighting is awful I agree, and if you look up at the actual lights they look archaic. The place was not designed for hockey so theres plenty of limited view seats. The fact that you were on the same train as that guy tells me he lives in Jersey, so if you want to talk about class dont root for new york if you live in new jersey. Lundqvist is a good goalie, but he would give up more goals without his pads, and they are even bigger in real life. They talk about Marty being "fat," but what Queen lacks in size he makes up with giant pads. Just look that the 2 goalies at warmup when they are close to each other, it's no comparison he looks like a transformer or something. His best save was actually going wide but it was the turning point of the game IN MY OPINION. They felt like he couldn't be beat with a regular shot and kept trying to force passes that weren't there. Kovalchuk and Elias where the highlight of the night. They look like they were born to play together. But Marty didn't have THAT bad of a game. The first goal he had no chance on and if I remember the second was a deflection. We'll get the flyers tonight don't worry

Ding ding ding Winner.

It boggles the mind how any NJ native can root for a NY team in any sport, fvcking embarassing :yucky:

Talk about an inferiority complex living vicariously through NY by supporting one of their teams :rolleyes: Fvck NY, they've got enough natives to support their teams.

What was it that NJ native Jimmy Dowd once said. "I don't like those Ranger fans who live in Jersey" or words to that effect.

Where the hell is the state pride? If I was a NJ native I'd sooner be a Cowboys fan than a Giants fan, oh, that's right, we have some on here. WTG guys :cheers:

I just couldn't bring myself to support a team from a State/City that treats your state (NJ) like sh!t.

What was it that NJ native Jimmy Dowd once said. "I don't like those Ranger fans who live in Jersey" or words to that effect.

Check the sig.

He said it while guest hosting NHL Live. He told the story about how he was a Rangers fan until the Devils came to New Jersey. From that point on, as a self-respecting New Jersey native, he just couldn't bring himself to root for New York when his home state had a team of its own.

DISREGARD NEW YORK

ACQUIRE HOME TEAM LOYALTY

Edit: Oh yeah, more specifically, he actually said the sigged quote when a Rangers fan called in to the show. Jimmy asked where the guy was from, and he was from New York. Then Dowd replied, "Oh, OK. Rangers fans from New York are OK. I don't like Rangers fans from New Jersey." Then he went into his childhood fanhood ....

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

Check the sig.

He said it while guest hosting NHL Live. He told the story about how he was a Rangers fan until the Devils came to New Jersey. From that point on, as a self-respecting New Jersey native, he just couldn't bring himself to root for New York when his home state had a team of its own.

DISREGARD NEW YORK

ACQUIRE HOME TEAM LOYALTY

Edit: Oh yeah, more specifically, he actually said the sigged quote when a Rangers fan called in to the show. Jimmy asked where the guy was from, and he was from New York. Then Dowd replied, "Oh, OK. Rangers fans from New York are OK. I don't like Rangers fans from New Jersey." Then he went into his childhood fanhood ....

Thanks DIG.

I'm sure you've also noticed those NYR third jerseys (they haven't worn them in a while) that has the Statue of Liberty on them. Last time I checked the Statue of Liberty resides in New Jersey, why would a team display a landmark that's from another state :doh1:

Poor souls, they must be so insecure........

Thanks DIG.

I'm sure you've also noticed those NYR third jerseys (they haven't worn them in a while) that has the Statue of Liberty on them. Last time I checked the Statue of Liberty resides in New Jersey, why would a team display a landmark that's from another state :doh1:

Ah, the Statue of Liberty debate. Technically it's on Jersey's side of the border. Legally, it's New York's. However you look at it, I found those Devils "We Know Where She Stands" t-shirts funny.

Thanks DIG.

They haven't worn those jerseys in a few years. Find some new material.

They haven't worn those jerseys in a few years. Find some new material.

My buddy was wearing a Jagr statue of liberty jersey on Saturday. That thing is pretty ugly IMO. Not Islanders Gorton Fisherman ugly or Dallas Stars raging ovaries ugly, but ugly nonetheless. As much as I hate the Rangers, the Rangers jersey is simple, classic and recognizable. No reason to mess with it.