The real problem

Devils Pride 26

The Devils have been too soft for a LONG TIME. I remember in 2006 in the playoffs I think it was game 2 or 3 against Carolina. The Devils were up 2-1 with like 5 seconds or so to go... and I believe it was Staal who threw it in front of the net where a Hurricane player was standing right there for at least 10 seconds uncontested with Devils players watching him tie the game tying goal before time expired only for Cullen to score the game winning goal in overtime. What's the problem with shoving him out of the way? Get a penalty? Sure, there's 5 seconds left on the clock and the Devils would have won... big deal. But this is the kind of crap that I have been seeing from this team for years. That one play could have turned that whole series around with it being 1-1 or 2-1 Canes at the time instead of going down 3-0. It was Colin White that stood there and did nothing by the way.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run out of interest?

I might give you we have too many older players on the bottom lines, absolutely agree with you there - but "no interest" - that's pretty strong.

So changing the captaincy would change this?

As you can see from my avatar, I'm a Juventus soccer fan. Funny enough, Juventus is facing the exact same problems as the Devils. An extended slump that seems to have no end. More importantly, no leadership in the room. A bunch of good individuals playing a "separate game"...

The Devils are playing as each line is a separate team. No intermeshing like earlier in the season.

Leadership is important. Perhaps Jamie appeals to certain guys on the team, but he probably doesn't appeal to everyone, and those seem to be the "important guys" like Elias, Rolston...etc.

The Devils need to change mentality...need to find an objective and aim for it. The Stanley Cup may be too far fetched of an idea for some of these guys, and perhaps a much more reachable objective (like winning the divison) is what should drive these guys in the meantime....once you achieve that, then perhaps you can start talking playoffs...

Brodeur needs to sit every fifth/sixth game...

I dunno. All I know is I do not feel good in my "heart" about what I'm seeing over there, and feel that this team will disappoint once again...

It shouldn't matter if our captain is "appealing" to guys like Elias and Rolston. Both of those guys have been in the league so long that they should be their own leaders. Parise and Zajac don't even need someone to look up to really anymore.

Guys like Zharkov, Fraser, Greene, Salmela, McAmmond, Kovalchuk, and maybe even Nieds need a leader... guys who are new to the NHL or new to the team. Patty and Rolston should be leaders in themselves. I am so disappointed with Rolston as a whole it's not even funny.

If he was scoring 30 goals like he had been in Minny we probably wouldn't have needed Kovalchuk... and now that he's terrible, if his contract would disappear... there's a great chance that Kovalchuk would remain a Devil. Please retire Brian.

Edited by njdevil26

Are you going by quotes from Langs? Because I haven't seen any of his quotes lately, but I'd be surprised if any of them accepted defeat. Anyway, we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. There's a reason Langs is the captain (of both this team and the Olympic team) and it very well could be his locker room presence that we have absolutely no idea about. Should he be leading better on the ice? Absolutely. But I guarantee that he is the first player Lemaire had a private meeting with today, and I won't be surprised if he plays well tomorrow night. Maybe that's too optimistic, but that's how I feel right now.

True. Very true. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors. Heck, we're here biting our nails on trying to figure out what the "f" is wrong with this team, and PERHAPS, these guys are just worried about getting their family a nice accomodation in Vancouver for the Olympics, not to mention, the other guys who will have two weeks to fondle their genitals as they so please off the ice.

They make millions, we make peanuts. Let's not kid ourselves. If they win the Stanley Cup or not, most of these guys could really care less. They're paid. Period. Win, lose, or draw, they're paid. Of course, they would like to win in the meantime, but don't expect them to risk life and limb to achieve that.

Langenbrunner doesn't give me much in terms of leadership. I would much rather see Colin White, Parise, Zubi or Rolli with that role.

This team is a first round exit awaiting...mark my words.

The Devils have been too soft for a LONG TIME. I remember in 2006 in the playoffs I think it was game 2 or 3 against Carolina. The Devils were up 2-1 with like 5 seconds or so to go... and I believe it was Staal who threw it in front of the net where a Hurricane player was standing right there for at least 10 seconds uncontested with Devils players watching him tie the game tying goal before time expired only for Cullen to score the game winning goal in overtime. What's the problem with shoving him out of the way? Get a penalty? Sure, there's 5 seconds left on the clock and the Devils would have won... big deal. But this is the kind of crap that I have been seeing from this team for years. That one play could have turned that whole series around with it being 1-1 or 2-1 Canes at the time instead of going down 3-0. It was Colin White that stood there and did nothing by the way.

when you tell an anecdote like that, you should be right about the details. colin white was injured for that series; it was brad lukowich who stood there. it was the consensus on the board at the time that had white been in the game and healthy, he would not have hesitated to dump staal on his ass.

Edited by Triumph

Langenbrunner doesn't give me much in terms of leadership. I would much rather see Colin White, Parise, Zubi or Rolli with that role.

This team is a first round exit awaiting...mark my words.

i'm sorry man, i respect your right to have an opinion, but when you think that brian rolston maybe should be the captain of this team over langenbrunner, i don't need to mark your words at all about a first round loss, because you're not watching this team and you can't know very much about what's going on.

Honestly... I liked the mid season of last year type of coaching from Sutter. More offense... with responsibility defensively. More creativity... the team was scoring 4-5-6 goals a night. This line matching defense stuff is NOT WORKING.

This.

Lemaire seems like a pansy to me on top of that. He needs to get ANGRY sometimes.

The team just looks so hesitant to go nuts offensively when it HAS THE TALENT. You won't have to be so nervous and tight defensively if you can put up at least 3 or 4 goals in a game.

And Tri, thanks for the correction. I wasn't as frequently on the board and I certainly don't remember the game 100% like it was yesterday.

The team just looks so hesitant to go nuts offensively when it HAS THE TALENT. You won't have to be so nervous and tight defensively if you can put up at least 3 or 4 goals in a game.

And Tri, thanks for the correction. I wasn't as frequently on the board and I certainly don't remember the game 100% like it was yesterday.

I do. I've been trying to forget about it for the last 4 years. I clearly remember wanting to bash Lukowich in the face with a waffle iron after that disaster.

Edited by MadDog2020

I do. I've been trying to forget about it for the last 4 years. I clearly remember wanting to bash Lukowich in the face with a waffle iron after that disaster.

many things were thrown against the wall. steal a game, and then get it re-stolen because some goof stands there and watches. so many things he could have done. fvcking Hurricanes

wow it took me way, way too long to figure out maxpower's avatar.

Seriously? It took me about 30 seconds. I laughed. Loudly.

many things were thrown against the wall. steal a game, and then get it re-stolen because some goof stands there and watches. so many things he could have done. fvcking Hurricanes

One of the worst losses in Devils playoff history without a doubt. I didn't get a good night's sleep that night.

i'll try to defend it by saying i never look at avatars here since they're impossible to distinguish, but no, i definitely missed the boat. it's gold, though.

Definitely gold... best avatar currently on the board IMO. Or at least the funniest.

yeah, it's my HF avatar, and liked it enough to use it here too. such a low quality picture that the ms paint spraypaint looks good on it.

You should blow it up and bring it to the next game you go to... see if anyone figures it out. :P

Definitely gold... best avatar currently on the board IMO. Or at least the funniest.

You should blow it up and bring it to the next game you go to... see if anyone figures it out. :P

Don't think it would take too long...lol. Would love to see confused little kids asking their parents what it was! haha

Don't think it would take too long...lol. Would love to see confused little kids asking their parents what it was! haha

if he does what prompted this again, I might be pissed enough to tape it to the glass right before they go out for warmups.

:lol: it'd probably be up for six seconds, but as long as someone sees it, good enough.

alot of the stuff I post is sort of a sarcastic faux anger, but I really am pissed at Rolston. and obviously, without knowing what's going on behind closed doors... surprised at how he gets away with it.

if he does what prompted this again, I might be pissed enough to tape it to the glass right before they go out for warmups.

:lol: it'd probably be up for six seconds, but as long as someone sees it, good enough.

alot of the stuff I post is sort of a sarcastic faux anger, but I really am pissed at Rolston. and obviously, without knowing what's going on behind closed doors... surprised at how he gets away with it.

I was actually gonna suggest that. Would love to see if Rolston got the message. :lol:

See what this team is doing?? Flashbacks to last season :evilcry: darn it!!

Last season they sucked bigtime after heading into the playoffs especially after 552. This season they are sucking with 22 games left and just made a huge trade. Let's not forget 2 weeks off coming up to right the ship. Plenty of time left for this team to fix its mental breakdowns and to get healthy.

i'm sorry man, i respect your right to have an opinion, but when you think that brian rolston maybe should be the captain of this team over langenbrunner, i don't need to mark your words at all about a first round loss, because you're not watching this team and you can't know very much about what's going on.

+1

• 3 weeks later...

Funny we can't blame the crap hockey on the checking line anymore...if I have a problem with Lemaire now (besides the fact that Bergfors is magically turning into a goalscorer out of the Jacques doghouse) it's the fact he just hasn't been tough enough on this team.

If you want to let them slide for a bad effort when we're playing seven in eleven nights that's one thing but there was absolutely positively no excuse for tonight. Second game off the break, two days between this and the Shark game and they embarrased themselves the last two periods. Against a lousy team we should be better than, although after tonight I'm not sure we're better than the Oilers right now.

Worse, Lemaire doesn't seem inclined to do anything about it. At least the old Jacques would have taken names and demanded accountability.

Edited by Hasan4978