New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

based on kypryos twitter - first 10 years = $90MM, last 5 years = $10MM. Hopefully that's good enough.

oh - and dumping zajac for kovalchuk is like 1 step forward, two steps back - it simply makes no sense.

bleh, if it were 15 million it unquestionably would be

Tri, $10M over that 5 is more than double the percentage over the back third over hossa's deal. If the league rejects this, than what the hell are the signposts?

the league has more power now. yes, i imagine that everything the league said was wrong has been addressed, but has it been addressed sufficiently?

the league has more power now. yes, i imagine that everything the league said was wrong has been addressed, but has it been addressed sufficiently?

True but this puts the league in a very precarious spot. Makes things even more confusing since this is within the keith and lecavalier percentages that suppsedly aren't problematic.

True but this puts the league in a very precarious spot. Makes things even more confusing since this is within the keith and lecavalier percentages that suppsedly aren't problematic.

the keith and lecavalier deals don't take a player until 42, however. keith's deal ends when he is 39, lecavalier's when he is 40.

i don't want the league to be in a precarious spot.

Edited by Triumph

I think this is hossas contract. So if they are paying out 7.5M over the last 5 years

55.3 is @ 88% of salary in first 7 years

2009-10 -- $7.9 million

2010-11 -- $7.9 million

2011-12 -- $7.9 million

2012-13 -- $7.9 million

2013-14 -- $7.9 million

2014-15 -- $7.9 million

2015-16 -- $7.9 million

Last 5 years 7.5M

2016-17 -- $4 million

2017-18 -- $1 million

2018-19 -- $1 million

2019-20 -- $750,000

2020-21 -- $750,000

12% being paid out the last 5 years

So if kovy's contract is the first 10 years = $90MM, last 5 years = $10MM

That is roughly 90% of salary in the first 10 years 70% in the first 7 years.

10% being paid out the last 5 years.

its too early for me to crunch the exact #'s but it's close but still more inflated than the hosa contract.

Edited by jonnyd91

Tri, $10M over that 5 is more than double the percentage over the back third over hossa's deal. If the league rejects this, than what the hell are the signposts?

It's over 3x the percentage of the original.

It's over Hossa's final 33% by 3.7% and just below Luongo's final 33% by 0.9%.

If anything, the contract will have to fall under 'investigation.'

It's over 3x the percentage of the original.

It's over Hossa's final 33% by 3.7% and just below Luongo's final 33% by 0.9%.

If anything, the contract will have to fall under 'investigation.'

luongo's deal goes until he's 43 though. that helps our case a bit.

still think if they spread 2.5 million over the last 5 years, it looks a lot better.

luongo's deal goes until he's 43 though. that helps our case a bit.

still think if they spread 2.5 million over the last 5 years, it looks a lot better.

Final 1/3 of each contract

Hossa goes:

1-1-1-1 = $4M

Luongo goes:

3.382-1.618-1-1 = $7M

Kovalchuk possible:

2.5-2.5-2-1.5-1.5 = $10M

More money over the same % of term followed by an increased salary puts it above both, just when looking at those 2 factors.

Yep - Tuesday is Day 5

Actually the Deadline is Wednesday at 5pm as per Tom Gulitti

Here's his quote on the deadline:

Wednesday at 5 p.m. the latest. Days end at 5 p.m. in NHL world.

Although they submitted the contract before 5 p.m. on Friday, the start of the count of days started at that time.

Just like, though the Devils got he rejection letter on the evening of Tuesday, July 20, the count of five days for the NHLPA to file the grievance didn’t start until 5 p.m. the next day. (Because they got the letter after 5 p.m. on July 20)

I think this is hossas contract. So if they are paying out 7.5M over the last 5 years

55.3 is @ 88% of salary in first 7 years

2009-10 -- $7.9 million

2010-11 -- $7.9 million

2011-12 -- $7.9 million

2012-13 -- $7.9 million

2013-14 -- $7.9 million

2014-15 -- $7.9 million

2015-16 -- $7.9 million

Last 5 years 7.5M

2016-17 -- $4 million

2017-18 -- $1 million

2018-19 -- $1 million

2019-20 -- $750,000

2020-21 -- $750,000

12% being paid out the last 5 years

So if kovy's contract is the first 10 years = $90MM, last 5 years = $10MM

That is roughly 90% of salary in the first 10 years 70% in the first 7 years.

10% being paid out the last 5 years.

its too early for me to crunch the exact #'s but it's close but still more inflated than the hosa contract.

Last 4 years of Hossa's deal = the last 5 years of Kovalchuk deal percentagewise (ie. 33% of total contract length). Kovy deal reportedly has 10% of total value in that time and Hossa deal is around 5.5% If these numbers are correct, the Kovalchuk contract is actually less front-loaded and less 'circumvential' so to speak.

I was always under the impression that they had 5 days to reject it and if they didn't do so in that window it would be considered approved and go into effect. I didn't think it was necessary that they actually give approval, just that they don't reject it.

That would be pretty passive-aggressive of the league. Actually wouldn't surprise me if that's what happens.

Final 1/3 of each contract

Hossa goes:

1-1-1-1 = $4M

Luongo goes:

3.382-1.618-1-1 = $7M

Kovalchuk possible:

2.5-2.5-2-1.5-1.5 = $10M

More money over the same % of term followed by an increased salary puts it above both, just when looking at those 2 factors.

Here's the full analysis of new Kovy deal tail against Hossa, Luongo, Pronger, and Savard tails(all the deals that the NHL was investigating)

Percentage of salary in last third of deal - this is where the deals all start to tail off:

New Kovalchuk deal - 10%

Hossa - 6.31%

Luongo - 10.94%

Pronger - 6.9%

Savard - 5.5%

Old Kovy deal - 3.4%

For Pronger and Savard I used the final 1/3 of their salary in year 5, which is the beginning of the last third of their deals.

If the NHL rejects the new Kovy deal, then they almost HAVE to reject all but the Luongo deal as well. Especially if the new Kovy deal does not have a NTC or NMC.

Edited by section 110

Here's the full analysis of new Kovy deal against Hossa, Luongo, Pronger, and Savard (all the deals that the NHL was investigating)

Percentage of salary in last third of deal - this is where the deals all start to tail off:

New Kovalchuk deal - 10%

Hossa - 6.31%

Luongo - 10.94%

Pronger - 6.9%

Savard - 5.5%

Old Kovy deal - 3.4%

For Pronger and Savard I used the final 1/3 of their salary in year 5, which is the beginning of the last third of their deals.

If the NHL rejects the new Kovy deal, then they almost HAVE to reject all but the Luongo deal as well. Especially if the new Kovy deal does not have a NTC or NMC.

Wouldn't the key be that the Kovy contract needs a NMC during those low salary years so that the league can't claim they just intend to bury him in the minors or loan him to avoid the cap hit.