New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not that it matters - but does everyone think that this was solely betteman's decision? it's fine to fillet him for it but isn't there a group that decides this?

c'mon, it's pitchforks and torches time! obviously everyone in the NHL office said it was a great idea and bettman was like 'wait, are you sure that new jersey should get a player like that?' we all know bettman has a don draper like drawer in his office full of graves #9 jerseys

But this isn't a $50 jaywalking ticket. It's a $102,000,000 contract.

Ya, but the concept is the same, one person getting away with something wrong doesn't make you doing something wrong ok.

Going to arbitration is better for the NHLPA, rules are more relaxed so stuff like Hossa's contract will probably hold more weight in arbitration than in a lawsuit.

Now if this goes to arbitration, who is the onus on here? The Devils or the NHL? Who has the prove the contract is legitimate or purposefully circumvents the rules? Does evidence of any kind even need to be presented or is simply arguments and the interpretation of the CBA and league rules by the arbitrator? What kinds of things is the arbitrator allowed to take into account? I'm seeing a lot here about court procedure and rules, which doesn't make much sense to me as this is an arbitration not civil court process. How does the arbitration actually work? Anybody have answers?

I mentioned this before, but if it gets restructured, I would be surprised if Kovalchuk doesn't move money around so he wouldn't potentially miss out on one of his big "pay day" years if there's a work stoppage. Maybe tack on a third year of $6mil or $7mil before hitting the $11m range and then descending again in a more even distribution.

I'll also be very interested to see how the NMC and NTC and one-year trade option window are impacted.

Now if this goes to arbitration, who is the onus on here? The Devils or the NHL? Who has the prove the contract is legitimate or purposefully circumvents the rules? Does evidence of any kind even need to be presented or is simply arguments and the interpretation of the CBA and league rules by the arbitrator? What kinds of things is the arbitrator allowed to take into account? I'm seeing a lot here about court procedure and rules, which doesn't make much sense to me as this is an arbitration not civil court process. How does the arbitration actually work? Anybody have answers?

They compare his numbers to other players (Ovechkin, Crosby etc.) If his numbers are better then them and arbitrator will get the player more money. And vice versa if his numbers are worse he receives less cash.

If we merge this thread and the other rejection thread this will be an uber Kovy thread. Which sounds good to me.

I think this will work out for us in the long run. Kovy is still going to more than likely sign here. And this thread gets a stay of execution.

Edited by mmajeski06

Unless the rules are written into the CBA, there really aren't any rules to it. Each side will make its case and the arbitrator will make a decision. So long as the decision has some reasoned basis the arbitrator's decision stands.

Again, this might be subject to rules relating to collective bargaining agreements, but that's the way arbitration generally works.

Edited by Daniel

I mentioned this before, but if it gets restructured, I would be surprised if Kovalchuk doesn't move money around so he wouldn't potentially miss out on one of his big "pay day" years if there's a work stoppage. Maybe tack on a third year of $6mil or $7mil before hitting the $11m range and then descending again in a more even distribution.

I'll also be very interested to see how the NMC and NTC and one-year trade option window are impacted.

the contract wasn't out long enough for us to know whether there were bonuses in the lockout year, but i'm pretty sure there would be.

Well the NHLPA would be the one taking the NHL to the arbiter. I don't believe it really matters who takes who though since it's arbitration, the arbiter will decide who makes the stronger case, it's not a situation of needing a massive amount of evidence to win, one side will just make a better argument that their position is stronger.

Edited by Devils731

"This is within the rules," said Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello to nj.com regarding the contract's validity.

The deal was rejected due to the fact that the NHL does not believe that either Kovalchuk nor the Devils expected the 2004 Rocket Richard trophy winner would be playing near end of the contract and that it is a case of artificially lowering the annual average value of the contract. The Devils must now either file the contract once again or the Players' Association can file a grievance.

Should the NHLPA decide to file a grievance, the contract would remain dead until an arbitrator determines otherwise."

QUICK! SOMEONE SOOTHE OUR HURT AND ANGER WITH SOME SEXY NINJA WOMEN!

pd2368433.jpg

not nearly as good as the past ones, but i dont give a f%ck right now, i hate bettman

lets get this guy in here to go kick Bettmans ass, or at least bring him to the hearing for intimidation factors

chuck-norris1.jpg

Edited by jagknife

All this talk of aribters makes me want to go play Halo 2. Unfortunately I don't own the game, nor the system. Oh well.

Back on topic... not looking forward to waking up to all kinds of Jekyll and Hyde articles in newspapers. I'm sure many went to press before this news broke, so we're likely to see some glowing articles in print and some "...wait a second" articles online.