Mark Fraser gets 1 year deal

Elias26

I think Fraser deserved getting a one way deal, he certainly showed enough at times this year to warrant getting a one way deal. The fact Lou was trying to sign him to a two way deal probably indicates that Lou knows if he has to send him down and he has to clear waviers at some point, he is going to lose him to another team. so i think him asking for a one way deal is pretty fair.

I was waiting for this thread to come back around again.

The biggest worry about Fraser getting a one-way deal is that he now has to clear waivers and re-entry waivers. Had he agreed to a two-way deal with a salary below, what, $105,000 in the AHL, re-entry waivers would not have been in effect.

Best news in all of this is that it should spell the end of Mike Mottau with the Devils. Nice guy, good depth defenseman, but really don't see a good spot for him on the team now. Barring trades, Volchenkov, Greene, White, Tallinder, Salvador are set as the top 5, with Fraser/Corrente/Urbom/Eckford really fighting for 6 & 7. If Salvador gets shipped out in order to clear cap space, I do worry about the depth of the Devils' defense... and it could bring back Mottau.

edited: accidentally omitted Corrente from depth chart

Edited by insanity_gallops

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say Tedenby is the one that has to take time to develop the most. He wasn't a top line player and did not play many minutes in the Swede League. He also lacks size and is going to have to bulk up and learn how to take a hard hit from someone like a Volchenkov or Phaneuf.

The biggest worry about Fraser getting a one-way deal is that he now has to clear waivers and re-entry waivers. Had he agreed to a two-way deal with a salary below, what, $105,000 in the AHL, re-entry waivers would not have been in effect.

Best news in all of this is that it should spell the end of Mike Mottau with the Devils. Nice guy, good depth defenseman, but really don't see a good spot for him on the team now. Barring trades, Volchenkov, Greene, White, Tallinder, Salvador are set as the top 5, with Fraser/Urbom/Eckford really fighting for 6 & 7. If Salvador gets shipped out in order to clear cap space, I do worry about the depth of the Devils' defense... and it could bring back Mottau.

Just out of curiosity, do you see Corrente as out of the picture or was he accidentally omitted?

I would say Tedenby is the one that has to take time to develop the most. He wasn't a top line player and did not play many minutes in the Swede League. He also lacks size and is going to have to bulk up and learn how to take a hard hit from someone like a Volchenkov or Phaneuf.

Why would Volchenkov hit is own player?

Just out of curiosity, do you see Corrente as out of the picture or was he accidentally omitted?

Yeah I mentioned him before too. Seems like people forgot that before Urbom, Lou said Corrente was on the inside track of making the lineup.

Edited by DevsMan84

Best news in all of this is that it should spell the end of Mike Mottau with the Devils. Nice guy, good depth defenseman, but really don't see a good spot for him on the team now. Barring trades, Volchenkov, Greene, White, Tallinder, Salvador are set as the top 5, with Fraser/Urbom/Eckford really fighting for 6 & 7. If Salvador gets shipped out in order to clear cap space, I do worry about the depth of the Devils' defense... and it could bring back Mottau.

worry - i'm not really worried about losing mark fraser. it's nice that he's paid the NHL minimum - that's something worth having around - but he played pretty much the most protected minutes in the NHL last year and didn't even do great with those.

worry - i'm not really worried about losing mark fraser. it's nice that he's paid the NHL minimum - that's something worth having around - but he played pretty much the most protected minutes in the NHL last year and didn't even do great with those.

In this case, "biggest worry" is a relative thing. I'd like to have the Devils keep him around because he's a good depth defender for league minimum and I'm hopeful that he can improve his play to be a serviceable night-in, night-out defender (a.k.a. not go the route of David Hale). If he's lost on waivers however, I won't be devastated. Maybe I should have phrased it as "The Devils' biggest worry"; the one-way, two-way debate clearly revolved around the possibility of losing Fraser for nothing.

It's a good signing, league minimum so it's a small cap hit for us and he can fill the 6th or 7th spot. Basically you're going to have one of the rookies make the team also (Corrente, Taormina, or Eckford) and one of White or salvador gone.

I still think that Urbom needs some time in the AHL. Main reason I think this is because of the memorial cup, when Brandon was playing London, Urbom was rarely on the ice when Hall was. So, if he wasn't ready to play against the most NHL-ready player in that tournament, why would he be able to play in the NHL this year? Just a thought.

I dont think this is good for Eckford. I know they're different players, but it seems like Fraser just got his roster spot. They're not gonna carry more than 8 d, and even assuming Sal or White gets traded, they're definitely going to have Sal/White, Greene, A-Train and Tallinder on the roster. Now Fraser's guaranteed a spot, Salmela's probably not going anywhere (though if they're high on Eckford, I suppose they could move him), and it seems like Urbom and Corrente have the inside track. I don't see their being any use in moving him to Lowell -- he's been there long enough that he either knows what he's doing or doesn't.

Any possibility of Corrente moving to forward -- he looked good on the 4th line last year, and it would be interesting to see them try to develop him in that direction.

I dont think this is good for Eckford. I know they're different players, but it seems like Fraser just got his roster spot. They're not gonna carry more than 8 d, and even assuming Sal or White gets traded, they're definitely going to have Sal/White, Greene, A-Train and Tallinder on the roster. Now Fraser's guaranteed a spot, Salmela's probably not going anywhere (though if they're high on Eckford, I suppose they could move him), and it seems like Urbom and Corrente have the inside track. I don't see their being any use in moving him to Lowell -- he's been there long enough that he either knows what he's doing or doesn't.

Any possibility of Corrente moving to forward -- he looked good on the 4th line last year, and it would be interesting to see them try to develop him in that direction.

If anyone goes to Lowell this year, they REALLY fvcked up. :lol:

I thought Corrente was one of our most effective forwards this postseason. His only shortcoming was that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his shots.

A fourth line of Leblond, Pelley and Corrente sounds good to me. Of course, this would bump Zharkov up into the top 9 ... and that sounds good to me too.

Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner

Kovalchuk - Zubrus - Clarkson

Elias - Arnott - Zharkov

Leblond - Pelley - Corrente

And this is all pending the burial of Brian Rolston under the end zone in the new Meadowlands Stadium.

this doesn't guarantee fraser anything. if fraser gets passed on the depth chart, he'll be gone, there will be always be teams that will want a minimum salary defenseman. salmela's hurt and will still be injured at the beginning of the season.

either way, eckford doesn't seem to be very good, but the starting 7 D really isn't a big deal - there will be injuries, and the prospects will get a shot.

Edited by Triumph

I thought Corrente was one of our most effective forwards this postseason. His only shortcoming was that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his shots.

A fourth line of Leblond, Pelley and Corrente sounds good to me. Of course, this would bump Zharkov up into the top 9 ... and that sounds good to me too.

Elias - Arnott - Zharkov

And this is all pending the burial of Brian Rolston under the end zone in the new Meadowlands Stadium.

Honestly, that lineup looks terrible. Clarkson is at best a 3rd line player and Zharkov is at best a 4th liner. I think Josefson or Tedenby have a better chance of cracking the lineup than Zharkov, Pelley and Corrente.

Elias - Arnott - Zharkov

Kovalchuk on a line with Zubrus and Clarkson? You don't pay a guy $100 million and give him line-mates like that.

Kovalchuk on a line with Zubrus and Clarkson? You don't pay a guy $100 million and give him line-mates like that.

This team has three #1 LWs and zero #1 RWs. No matter how you arrange the lines, they're gonna look weird.

As far as centers go, is Zubrus that much worse at center than Arnott is at this stage of his career?

This team has three #1 LWs and zero #1 RWs. No matter how you arrange the lines, they're gonna look weird.

As far as centers go, is Zubrus that much worse at center than Arnott is at this stage of his career?

then you move elias to some other position, either RW or C as the situation demands.