Berglund Back To Albany

StarDew

Just heard that Bergy was sent back to Albany...both Guolla and Danton avoided the cut...there is also a nice segment on News12 about Timex...maybe you can catch it on the replay later :D

They just love Timex...his leadership, stability and ability to bounce back...amazing he is here 8 years already :)

If they don't send Tommy down (which I kind of doubt they would do) then I say Danton might be the next logical choice to go to Albany because he doesn't have to clear waivers- Salo and Guolla both do. Does anyone think Lou is going to take a chance and lose either of them for nothing?

News12 just reported.........

Salmo stays, Danton & Guola stay......Berglund goes to Albany and Tommy is cut.

Kinda wish that Berglund would stay over Salmo but Berglund has more flexibility and this may be Salmo's last chance. Play well or the kid will be back to take your spot.

Bye Tommy. Thanks for the service but it's time.

Let the games Begin!!!!!!!!111

:rolleyes:

That's harsh guys, he was a reliable 8th defensemen. Wow, when is the last time they actually cut a player on the Devils?

DM i wouldnt go that far. He was the one who missed assignments on men in the slot in both overtime losses vs Carolina.

Tri:

The Devils are going to have to pay the 1 million owed to Albelin this season. Tossing away a million dollars isn't exactly a good thing for the Devils budget.

What was Albelin gonna do for us anyway? It's not as if he was gonna play (and if he did, it's not as if he's any good anymore regardless). Worse comes to worst, we can use Sutton as our #8 defenseman. I actually applaud Lou/Burns for having the guts to make a move not dictated by someone's contract. Plus, it does get another forward onto the roster and I'm sure that was a consideration (they didn't want to expose Guolla and Salmo to waivers).

Has, you can't tell me Lou didn't see something like this coming when he signed Albelin.

If it wasn't Zyuzin, it would have been Commodore.

I think this is the move that had to be made, but the right move would've been not signing Albelin and signing Ken Sutton instead.

Ok two things:

1) The report on NJO says Albelin was assigned to Albany. Doesn't say he was cut or that he is refusing to go to the Rats. I wonder what the deal is?

and

2) Nemchinov was NOT cut. He was UFA and not offered a contract.

Albelin, Berglund designated for assignment

The Associated Press

10/8/02 7:26 PM

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Veteran defenseman Tommy Albelin and left wing Christian Berglund were assigned to Albany of the AHL by the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday.

Albelin had one goal and three assists in 42 regular-season games with the Devils last season, his 17th in the NHL. He also played in all six of New Jersey's first-round playoff games against Carolina.

The acquisition of Oleg Tverdovsky from Anaheim and the improved play of Andrei Zyuzin made Albelin the eighth defenseman on the roster, one more than the Devils needed.

Berglund had 21 goals and 26 assists in 60 games at Albany last season. He had two goals and seven assists in 15 games with the Devils. He was scoreless in three playoff games with New Jersey.

The moves leave 23 players on the Devils' roster heading into their regular-season opener on Thursday at Ottawa

Tri:

Has, you can't tell me Lou didn't see something like this coming when he signed Albelin.

If it wasn't Zyuzin, it would have been Commodore.

I don't know where you ascertained that from my post.

Anyway, the original plan was to have Albelin around as a #6/7 defenseman until Commodore got his feet wet and then keep him around as a #7 defenseman just in case. The Sykora deal changed that, though (and even the great Lou could not have foreseen making THAT kind of a deal). With the addition of TiVo and basically replacing Commo with Zyuzin, Albelin had not only become a spare tire, he'd become the backup to the spare tire.

And don't forget Albelin just flat out did not play well last year. I'm sure Lou thought Albelin had more left in his tank than he did. I know I didn't think he was this bad. Lou made a mistake as it turned out and owned up to it.