RUMOR: Was Elias asked?

DevilinLA

I'm not sure what kind of truth there is to it, but its the first I've heard of it so I'll post it. Besides - not much else interesting going on.

Pierre Lebrun of Hockey Night in Canada tonight was saying that the LAK were inquiring pretty seriously about Patrick Elias but he refused to waive his NMC.

They also believe that LAK's JAck Johnson is within 48hours of signing a long term extension.

Having said this, I don't think LL would or needs to trade Elias (I can hear the "He's our leading....blah, blah, blah).

But, seeing the recent returns what is the proposed value of Elias in a trade now? Purely, value sake.....

Edited by DevilinLA

Bad rumor....Elias has not been asked to waive his NTC. He said he has not been asked by Lou in an artile by Rich Chere yesterday. I don't think Lou will ever ask Elias to waive his NTC. Plus Elias would never waive it. What many did not know was that Langenbrunner was asked to waive his NTC by Lou Lamoriello in training camp. Rolston was also asked and he said he would waive it if they no longer wanted him here in New Jersey.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2011/01/patrik_elias_agrees_that_zach.html

General manager Lou Lamoriello initially asked Langenbrunner to waive his no-trade clause in training camp. Langenbrunner refused, but agreed to do so in late December.

Lamoriello also asked Brian Rolston to waive his no-trade, which the veteran forward would have done. Jason Arnott has also suggested he'd be willing to waive his no-trade to go to a contnder.

But Elias said he hasn't been asked to do so.

"No," he said. "I hope not."

Honestly, I don't think Elias is worth $6 million/per year to this club at this time. To be fair, I like Elias and wouldn't move him unless I got a good return. But if I received a good return, I'd definitely think long and hard about passing that deal up (obviously I realize that the no-trade clause could be a significant obstacle that renders this entire thread moot). But if the Devils are smart, and a bit lucky, they can parlay a lot of long-time sentimental vets into some significant draft picks and prospects in an effort to start rebuilding and erase some of the pain - and draft pick losses - of the last few trades. Obviously, the game has changed; and the Devils are too old and slow in their current makeup to compete for a Cup - not to mention the fact that their defense is basically non-functional at this point. So I say to my fellow Devils brethren, it's now time for pragmatism and strategic long-term vision - not sentimentality and eulogy.

In short, I love Elias' chutzpah, candid nature and competitive spirit, but if the right deal comes along, I'd do it in a second - assuming it's with Elias' blessing ... of course.

I seriously doubt Lou uproots Elias from his 2 month old child, and wife. Despite all the chaos of this year, I'm still pretty certain Lou is a classy guy.

That, and elias would never waive his clause.

If the guy can fire a coach right before Christmas (and a franchise hero) when he should have fired him a month ago - anything is possible.

the question was asked what his value was. if it was a trade to the kings, i think if you're offered brayden schenn, you do it. if you're offered jack johnson, you absolutely do it.

i love elias as much as everyone else and still think he has value and means a lot to this team. but it's a 6mm hit the next two years. he's still an old voice (of which it seems we're trying to completely purge) and he is declining in play.

it would be a case of trading a guy perhaps a year early than being stuck with him in that last year when he's another rolston.

If the guy can fire a coach right before Christmas (and a franchise hero) when he should have fired him a month ago - anything is possible.

I think it's a little different situation here. One could also argue that Lou did Jmac a favor by letting him go before Christmas. Release him of the stress and duties of coaching this team to let him enjoy the holidays. He will still be paid after all.

Sorry if I missed the point of the original post. Trade value for Elias would be really hard to gauge when considering the recent langenbrunner trade. I'm not saying I expected 4 first rounders for langenbrunner, but I was hoping for a guaranteed second rounder, and in the most ideal scenario of lots of teams bidding, something on top of that like a 5th (similar to the wisniewski trade). Unfortunately we came a little short of that with the possiblity of it being a late 3rd and nothing more, but time will tell. Either way (2nd or 3rd), the return isn't terrible, but not what I was expecting exactly considering all of the interest. I think Lou didn't take the best deal to make sure Jamie was truly happy with his destination. With that said, I think he would do the same with Elias (if he was going to ask him to waive, which i doubt he will)

We have that Jamie situation to learn from and consider for a hypothetical Elias trade, but I don't even know if it's applicable. Langs was UFA, where as Elias has 2 years remaining on his contract past this year. That could have a big impact on the trade value. Age is about the same. Skill wise, imo Elias is a little better in every facet of the game than jamie (except maybe hitting). That's not a knock on Jamie, because I have always thought he is a great player, but when I think about skating, shooting, passing, teamwork, two-way play, production, etc. Elias is generally a step above Jamie. With all that in mind, I would have to say Elias is worth something like a playoff team first round pick + decent/okay prospect, with some unwanted salary coming the opposite way.

the question was asked what his value was. if it was a trade to the kings, i think if you're offered brayden schenn, you do it. if you're offered jack johnson, you absolutely do it.

i love elias as much as everyone else and still think he has value and means a lot to this team. but it's a 6mm hit the next two years. he's still an old voice (of which it seems we're trying to completely purge) and he is declining in play.

it would be a case of trading a guy perhaps a year early than being stuck with him in that last year when he's another rolston.

Elias' worth isn't that high. His worth to us is higher than it would be to any other team at this point. He has lost speed and a bit of grittiness.

He is a leader, and has a future in the management team of this franchise. That being said, Lou keeps him close to us until his playing days are over.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Patty hang them up after next season, and immediately be part of the management of this team.

I can see Patty as an assistant coach or even a GM someday down the road...

Honestly, I don't think Elias is worth $6 million/per year to this club at this time. To be fair, I like Elias and wouldn't move him unless I got a good return. But if I received a good return, I'd definitely think long and hard about passing that deal up (obviously I realize that the no-trade clause could be a significant obstacle that renders this entire thread moot). But if the Devils are smart, and a bit lucky, they can parlay a lot of long-time sentimental vets into some significant draft picks and prospects in an effort to start rebuilding and erase some of the pain - and draft pick losses - of the last few trades. Obviously, the game has changed; and the Devils are too old and slow in their current makeup to compete for a Cup - not to mention the fact that their defense is basically non-functional at this point. So I say to my fellow Devils brethren, it's now time for pragmatism and strategic long-term vision - not sentimentality and eulogy.

In short, I love Elias' chutzpah, candid nature and competitive spirit, but if the right deal comes along, I'd do it in a second - assuming it's with Elias' blessing ... of course.

Mort, you don't post here enough.

When a player asks for and gets a NMC, I think it is pretty well understood that it is mutual between player and franchise that the player is here to stay.

At that time. Feelings change, perception changes, and the team changes.

I'm not advocating at all for Elias being moved, but as its been said, its time we parlay what we can into parts for the future and Elias' age makes him expendable in that respect. We're not Cup contenders any time soon. No one expected this year to be like it has, except Manta, but the sky is always falling for him.

The only difference is that if Elias wants to stay, he has that option to decline a move. I don't and will not get angry about him making that decision. Plenty of guys have had NMC/NTCs and been moved before because of a change in their perception of a place.