GDT: NJD at NYI 1PM 1/17/11

eaglejelly

He quotes the almighty Claude "Pepe" Lemieux. "What's the C stand for? Selfish?" Who was it he asked again? I can't remember.

eric desjardins.

this was a good game, but the islanders are clearly a worse team than NJ, oh and to make things worse they started a minor league goalie.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

eric desjardins.

this was a good game, but the islanders are clearly a worse team than NJ, oh and to make things worse they started a minor league goalie.

I agree we should be a little reserved about the fact they just beat the isles, but i look at it with the glass half full approach: 18 goals in 4 games. when you score, you get confident. these guys couldn't hit the broad side of a barn a few months ago.

lemaire has instilled accountability, discipline and they have finally responded. sure, there could be a sense of resentment over langenbrunner, but the team is playing exceptionally better. thats a completely different subject, but the team is finally scoring and gaining confidence.

7 out of 8 points is leaps in the right direction.

Great game. One comment from Chico was really good...he was talking about how right now most fans want the first overall pick and for the Devils to tank. He then went on to say that when he was playing, you just don't look at it that way. You want to go out every night and win.

While I would love to get a good draft pick, I would rather see this team put together a respectable second half and end this year on a good note. Games like today make this team worth watching, and give me hope that the talent really is there when this team wants to work.

I was shocked when the Isles came back with two goals. But this time they wanted it, and instead of giving it up like the times before, they worked and got rewarded. A little spark, but Jersey's team is still alive!

And they didn't let up even when up 2-0.. I mean if they sit back and try to cautiously hold the lead then it's 2-2 and I think that's a different game.. But they got that 3rd goal so that even giving up 2 quick ones meant they still had a lead.. And they kept adding more

Great game. One comment from Chico was really good...he was talking about how right now most fans want the first overall pick and for the Devils to tank. He then went on to say that when he was playing, you just don't look at it that way. You want to go out every night and win.

While I would love to get a good draft pick, I would rather see this team put together a respectable second half and end this year on a good note. Games like today make this team worth watching, and give me hope that the talent really is there when this team wants to work.

While overall it would be disappointing for this team to be historically bad the first half of the year to turn it around to finish out of the lottery from a results standpoint, that would mean a lot of good has happened. The good news is we were historically bad the first half so it would take an outstanding second half to be out of the lottery. But this team needed the last 4 games just like they'll need to win a lot more in the second half for their own sanity and future. Continuing on the pace of the first half would just be a serious blow for this franchise even if it gave us the first overall pick. Getting great games from Kovalchuk, Clarkson, Zubrus, Rolston, Tedenby and Zharkov is extremely important moving forward.

I will say though that the Islanders are fvcking awful. Even Ottawa dropped 6 on them last week and their team is as pathetic offensively as NJ.

While overall it would be disappointing for this team to be historically bad the first half of the year to turn it around to finish out of the lottery from a results standpoint, that would mean a lot of good has happened. The good news is we were historically bad the first half so it would take an outstanding second half to be out of the lottery. But this team needed the last 4 games just like they'll need to win a lot more in the second half for their own sanity and future. Continuing on the pace of the first half would just be a serious blow for this franchise even if it gave us the first overall pick. Getting great games from Kovalchuk, Clarkson, Zubrus, Rolston, Tedenby and Zharkov is extremely important moving forward.

I will say though that the Islanders are fvcking awful. Even Ottawa dropped 6 on them last week and their team is as pathetic offensively as NJ.

the islanders are so clearly a worse team than the devils. i think they finish last overall.

Thankfully there hasn't been a lot of tank talk here other than that one silly thread about forefitting the season. But yes I'd rather see the young kids we already have develop and the vets - who for the most part are going to be here next year - come back to form.

the islanders are so clearly a worse team than the devils. i think they finish last overall.

I've been singing this tune for most of the season and talentwise we are better but we're more than halfway through the season now and we're still six points behind the Isles with a 1-2 head-to-head record. Maybe now if the Devils are truly turning it around well, there's no way they finish below the Isles or Edmonton and I wouldn't want to. We've been a laughingstock from the spring to the summer to the first half of this year, it's time to get some respect back.

I can't pretend to have the ability to get emotionally invested in a team that saw its season end weeks ago, but at least they've been watchable. I can't really ask for more than that from here on out. If they find a way to finish 10 games under NHL-.500 on the season I'd consider that a pretty major achievement.