Ilya Kovalchuk helping to write Devils' unbelievable script

Legion15

LOL. Just like you predicted them to win the Cup this year. :whistling:

Next year is another rebuilding year.

And the year after that will be the Post Zach era and more rebuiliding.

You do realize that $16 million comes off the cap after next season between Rolston, Sal, White, and Marty. And Elias, Zubrus, Steckel, and Clarkson all come off the season after that. All of those players will either be leaving or staying for less money. Zajac is the only one who would be inline for a big raise, along with Tedenby and Josefsen, and those are all in 2014.

I think they look ok.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i did do that. and with decent shooting luck this year they would be in good position to try that.

it's not even worth reasoning with you. the devils have the best defense in the league now. they are a lock to make the playoffs next year if they continue to get this defensive play out of their team. oh and they'll have a healthy parise, probably. things could not look rosier for next season.

+1. At this point I hate to say it, but Manta you are a complete joke. I couldn't be more excited for next season. The Devils will be a force. Your rebuilding garbage is just that, total garbage. Our mini rebuild was the first half of this season and that's it. It was more of a J-Mac sabotage than rebuild, but it is what it is. I love our team for the upcoming years.

Why do any of you bother? Manta's become our version of Randy Quaid from Major League II.

LOL

According to Charlie "WINNING!" Sheen, there may be a Major League 3!!!

Manta, the sig is outlandish. For anyone to STILL be hating on Kovalchuk's acquisition at this point in time is clearly just sticking to their guns. Your theories have now been proven wrong and the team is not going to be rebuilding. Playoff bound next year for sure.

At first, last season, when Ilya came to NJ, I wasnt a huge fan of his. In fact I was one of those fans who were upset with the coming of Kovalchuk to NJ. He has since turned my mind around. He has come a long way this season. Last season he wasnt much of a team player....this season....hes a machine.

Go get em Kovy!

I was fine with Lou trading for him, especially with what he had to give up.

Based on what I saw after he got here, despite putting up a PPG, I wouldn't have brought him back.

The contract nonsense was annoying on several levels, and I'll never be a big fan of deals of that length...just so risky.

Having said all of that, he has a realistic shot at 30 goals and 30 assists, which aren't great numbers overall, but seemed like a pipe dream just a couple of months ago. And not only that, he's become, for perhaps the first time in his career, a very good multi-dimensional player...I won't pretend to claim that I saw a whole lot of his Atlanta games, but I think he's probably playing the best hockey of his career. I worry a little about what will happen if he doesn't have Lemaire coaching him, but at least the Devils aren't icing a $100 million project anymore.

If Zach leaves, it will still be a very bitter pill to swallow, but at least Ilya doesn't look like he's going to be a bust, as long as he stays on his current path. That will make losing Zach a little easier to take, should that happen...

+1. At this point I hate to say it, but Manta you are a complete joke. I couldn't be more excited for next season. The Devils will be a force. Your rebuilding garbage is just that, total garbage. Our mini rebuild was the first half of this season and that's it. It was more of a J-Mac sabotage than rebuild, but it is what it is. I love our team for the upcoming years.

LOL

Manta, the sig is outlandish. For anyone to STILL be hating on Kovalchuk's acquisition at this point in time is clearly just sticking to their guns. Your theories have now been proven wrong and the team is not going to be rebuilding. Playoff bound next year for sure.

Hate is a strong word. Maybe in your world "I have been proven wrong" and we only have to play one month of great hockey and we have already won the Stanley Cup.

I predicted this year to be a disaster and we wouldn't make the playoffs...and we still haven't. It's been a fun month but let's see how this works out before we anoint this season of .500 hockey a "success".

Most likely, next year will be another new chapter with a new coach, a new system and new players to break in. The year after will be without Zach, probably Marty and a few others and another rebuilding.

I expect that the same people here that have turned on Arnott, Langs, etc. will be the same ones turning on Kovy two years from now.

Enjoy the ride.

How do you know Zach will be gone? There's this guy on HF that "knows" for sure Zach is gonna leave. Do you have an inside source?

No one knows for sure, but if he really wanted to stay he would not have hired a new agent. I think his injury has allowed him to realize he can't play forever. The Kovalchuk signing may have awakened him to the fact that this game is still a business and he is NO LONGER the poster boy for this franchise. I also think he really wants to win the cup and I think he realizes this no longer the organization he was drafted by.

A lot will depend on how the new coach does next year.

Yea and we climbed to first place with SCOTT CLEMMENSEN in net! Guess we should have named him the starter!

Team concept back then.

No one knows for sure, but if he really wanted to stay he would not have hired a new agent. I think his injury has allowed him to realize he can't play forever. The Kovalchuk signing may have awakened him to the fact that this game is still a business and he is NO LONGER the poster boy for this franchise. I also think he really wants to win the cup and I think he realizes this no longer the organization he was drafted by.

Who else on the devils besides Brodeur negotiated their own contract without an agent?

Just because the team is basically being lifted on Kovy's shoulders right now, doesn't mean it's not a team concept. This has always been a team first organization, and Kovy and Parise's star status doesn't change this.

That is the problem. Being lifted on one players shoulders is a far cry from a "collection of interchangeable parts".

Who else on the devils besides Brodeur negotiated their own contract without an agent?

"NEW"

That is the problem. Being lifted on one players shoulders is a far cry from a "collection of interchangeable parts".

the idea of a collection of interchangeable parts is so stupid, and more to the point, it's totally impossible now. do you know why the devils were a collection of 'interchangeable parts?' because of rules about arbitration and RFAs. the devils had bobby holik and randy mckay playing on a 4th line for several years. holik, especially, was not a 4th line player, but that's where he was put. that could never happen now. there isn't a 4th line player in the league as good as holik was back then. holik finally had to hold out so that the devils would use him in a bigger role.

the devils are playing exceptional defensive hockey, which has been their strength since they started winning stuff. i am concerned that lou will be desperate to win next year and will let parise sign a one year deal and walk - that's a legitimate concern. they will be one of the best teams in the league next season, though.

Edited by Triumph

Yep. Guys like Stevens, Lemieux, Brodeur, Niedermayer, the A-Line, etc. never carried this team for any stretch during the "interchangeable parts" era.

But that's all really irrelevant anyway because the whole team is really playing incredibly well. We've got two solid scoring lines and one grit line playing very well. The defense is playing effectively, almost like it did in front of Clemmensen. Vets like Rolston and Tallinder have pulled total 180s from their first half (and beyond, for Rolston). Kids like Fayne and Palmieri are exceeding expectations. Sure, Kovalchuk has been playing out of his mind during this stretch, but credit should be distributed beyond No. 17. After all, Hedberg was the league's 3rd Star for February, not Kovy.

A lot will depend on how the new coach does next year.

Team concept back then.

"NEW"

so does zach want to be the poster boy of the franchise or part of the interchangleble parts?

The "interchangeable parts" bit is so overblown. Every Devils cup winner had at least 2 HOF defensemen in the lineup who were anything but interchangeable.

So he'll be awakened to the fact that he's no longer the poster boy even though he doesn't want that anyway and he wants to just be one of the interchangeable parts? Makes no sense at all.

the idea of a collection of interchangeable parts is so stupid, and more to the point, it's totally impossible now.

Stick to strat-o-matic.

So he'll be awakened to the fact that he's no longer the poster boy even though he doesn't want that anyway and he wants to just be one of the interchangeable parts? Makes no sense at all.

He never wanted to be poster boy, but I am sure he misses it now.